"this save data was created with a newer version of the game."

by RJCoyote13

Original Post

Accepted Solution

"this save data was created with a newer version of the game."

★★★ Novice

So, new patch comes in. I download it. Of course game crashes when I try to load because oops, I have mods and they currently aren't compatable. So, I remove the 'merged' file and assume that will let me play. 

Well, the game loads, but hahaha NOPE. Not the actual save."this save data was created with a newer version of the game. please download the latest patch and try again"  You thought this would be easy? Nah. I run a update, it's updated. I run a repair. Doesn't help. I then proceed to delete the items int he patch folder, run a repair (as this has worked for me before on other issues), and then run update (though it says it's updated as the repair must have patched it). 

Open game, try to load my 30+ hours game. "this save data was created with a newer version of the game. please download the latest patch and try again". 

At this point I am bashing my head against the wall because I have been trying to find a solution for 5 hours, I have created a blank merged file tyring to figure out if maybe it's "not the latest version of the patch" because I don't have mods (though I haven't heard other modders having this issue), repaired the game several times, etc. 

I run on windows 8 btw. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 15 (16,817 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: "this save data was created with a newer version of the game."

★★ Apprentice

A forum search would've yielded you 10+ threads about the same issue (just a FYI). (-:

I assume you are playing on the PC platform. If so, try the following:

- Head to your installation folder and locate a file called package.mft (found in /Update/Patch/ directory)

- Open the file in a text editor

- On the third line it should state Version 7.

- Change the 7 into a higher number (i.e. 9, 10 or 11)

- Save the file and restart the game.

Version 7 here means that you installed Patch 6.

If you're not playing on PC, then I'm afraid the above is a bit futile and I cannot help out.

Best of luck!

View in thread

Message 4 of 15 (18,381 Views)

All Replies

★ Novice

I'm in the same boat. I actually completely reinstalled the game (MOD free) and have Windows 7, but no luck.

Someone, please help!

Message 2 of 15 (16,638 Views)

★★★ Novice

Run into the same issue, too. Hope there's a solution out there!

Message 3 of 15 (16,631 Views)

★★ Apprentice

A forum search would've yielded you 10+ threads about the same issue (just a FYI). (-:

I assume you are playing on the PC platform. If so, try the following:

- Head to your installation folder and locate a file called package.mft (found in /Update/Patch/ directory)

- Open the file in a text editor

- On the third line it should state Version 7.

- Change the 7 into a higher number (i.e. 9, 10 or 11)

- Save the file and restart the game.

Version 7 here means that you installed Patch 6.

If you're not playing on PC, then I'm afraid the above is a bit futile and I cannot help out.

Best of luck!

Message 4 of 15 (18,382 Views)

★ Novice

You beat me to it, yes, I found this on another forum and it worked, thanks!

Message 5 of 15 (16,618 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I attempted this fix -- mine says "version 8". Same issue as before, telling me I need to download the latest patch.

I'm on the PC (Windows 7, 64 bit), I did have mods and tried reinstalling them after once again repairing and repatching the game, with the same result.

The only saves the game will let me load are ones from over 50 hours back. I'll keep trying to repair.

Message 6 of 15 (16,470 Views)

★★★★ Novice

When this happens to me I use Notepad++ (pretty sure its free) to edit the package.mft file in the Data folder. As stated before change the Version 7 line to 9 and save the changes. Works for me every time.

Message 7 of 15 (16,464 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This did work for me by changing the 8 to a 9 using Notepad ++

Message 8 of 15 (16,438 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I'm on the PC (Windows 7, 64 bit), using Mod Manager v0.51 Alpha. I repaired my game, created a new merge file, copied in the new mod files to the Patch folder, but I'm still getting the "created with a newer version of the game" error message and can't access my current save.  Am I missing a step somewhere?

Edit: Belay that. I've finally sorted out the process, though now I'm fighting with BE freezing on the load screen. The journey continues...

Message 9 of 15 (16,398 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Wow thanks a lot, when i was having this problem it was at version 12, i changed the number to 13 and it works. Thanks!!

Message 10 of 15 (13,696 Views)