Re: game crashes for no reason

by Crusader_bin

Original Post

★ Apprentice

Saw today when it crashed that the driver experienced a problem or something like that. So yeah definitely nvidia's problems drivers problems

Message 51 of 118 (3,837 Views)

★★ Novice

My game is crashing too, after 6 hours of play, I came back to load my save and game crashes every time after loading screen.  Went through all my saves and one still loads but it's all the way back when I first entered the Hinterlands.  I'm not even gonna try playing through again until it's fixed because it will most likely stop loading my saves again.  It's a shame how low Bioware has fallen.

I doubt it's Nvidia drivers though.  Mine worked for 6 hours and then stopped loading saves all of a sudden.  I updated my nvidia drivers after the issue started and it didn't help.  Should have bought Farcry instead.

Message 52 of 118 (3,826 Views)

★ Novice

Yep, I've started having this problem as well.  About 7 hours of play, after loading my most recent save I'm only able to play for a few seconds before the game crashes, closing completely and going back to the desktop.  Nothing else freezes up, it just happens instantly.  I've tried updating drivers and repairing the game through Origin, changing the graphics settings to something lower...it keeps crashing.

Message 53 of 118 (3,810 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Disabling Origin ingame seems to fix the issue.

Message 54 of 118 (3,790 Views)

★ Guide

@Stormcrow6666 wrote:

Disabling Origin ingame seems to fix the issue.

Or download Outcome: http://outcome.nofate.me/

It feels like it speeds the game up as well.

But need Origin for multiplayer support/sync of files.

Message 55 of 118 (3,786 Views)

★★★★ Novice

disabling origin does nothing for me, even playing in offline mode with zero connection to their servers doesnt change anything. One thing I did that has decreased the frequency of the crashes is lowered the level of anti-aliasing Im using (even though my rig is more then capable of running on max), it has drastically reduced the frequency of the crashes for me. 

Message 56 of 118 (3,413 Views)

★★ Novice

Today I was able to play for 5 hours without any crash.

Then I tried to play again => Crashing every 15 min. I really don't know what is going on.

Any idea?

Message 57 of 118 (3,327 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Just an update.  I've been on the phone with EA for over 2 1/2 hours over multiple sessions.  Still crashing.  They had me do a number of items though, so here's a list of items I've done.  Maybe one of these will help you guys (wish it worked for me ConfusedmileysadStandard smile:  They had me test the game after each one of these things, but still crashing every 5-10 min with no error message.

1. Make sure your drivers are up to date
  2. Disable Origin in Game
  3. Run CCleaner and clear out cache and everything
  4. Disable anti-virus and firewalls
  5. Repair the game installation
  6. Create a fresh administrator profile and run Origin and DA:I from new profile
  7. Turn off User Access Control
  8. Reinstall Visual Studio items (http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30679)
  9. Redownload and reinstall game.
  10. Run in windowed mode
  11. Open ports in firewall and router in case of intermittent connectivity.  Here are the ports (http://help.ea.com/en/article/online-ports-for-dragon-age-inquisition/)
  12. Turn off anti-aliasing.
  13. Lower graphic quality.

That's where I am at now.  Trying a few other items, but even EA is at a loss at this point.  They ended up saying refund or wait for a patch.  Confusedmileysad:

Message 58 of 118 (3,312 Views)

★★★ Novice

So continuing the saga, I turned on overclocking for my video card (but did not overclock the Hz or timers).  Instead, I maxed the fan to see if it is a cooling issue.  I am running an AMD HD 7800 card, which has been phenomenal so far to date.

Now I still crashed, but this time I got an error message for the first time.  It's a DXDiag error of "GetDeviceRemovedReason" DXG1_ERRORDEVICE_HUNG.  Still not fixed, but at least I have an error. 

Doing some reading, my understanding is that this is tied to the Ambient Occlusion setting in the graphics.  So, now I am goign to try two other items:

1.  Disable Ambient Occlusion

2.  Downclock the graphics card

I will post the results.

Message 59 of 118 (3,153 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice
That would explain why i crash way less since i downgraded embient occlusion to hbao instead of hbao full.. since then i almost dont crash anymore it happend like 2 times in 30hours of gameplay instead of every 5-10min and i use an Nvidia 650 Ti
Message 60 of 118 (3,129 Views)