Re: Upgrading Dragon Age: Inquisition from Standard to Game of the Year Edition

by Leora85

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Upgrading Dragon Age: Inquisition from Standard to Game of the Year Edition

★★★★★ Apprentice

I have already voiced my questions about this with the EA support chat and was told that currently there is nothing in place that would allow this but I should voice my concerns here and hopefully something will be implemented.

My problem is this. I bought DA: I Standard for around 50 Euro back 2 weeks or so before it's release. That was almost a year ago. I did not wait for reviews or the likes because I am a huge fan of the Dragon Age franchise and Bioware and enjoy their games tremendously. Now however I am faced with something of a kick to the balls, if you excuse my french, financially because I basically was a moron. Dragon Age: Inquisition was just released as a GOTY Edition 2 weeks ago which includes all DLC (including the major ones). The same package would cost me 65 Euro (14,99 each for the 3 major DLC's, 5 for the smaller ones plus another 10 to upgrade to the deluxe edition) bringing my total spend for the game to a whopping 115 Euro. I think that is unacceptable.

So I would strongly ask for EA to offer an upgrade to the GOTY version for people who purchased the standard version of the game. I don't expect it to be free, I don't mind paying the difference of 10-15 Euro that it has to the version I originally bought. But it can't be EA's policy to treat customers that way and say: Well it's your fault that you bought the game pre-release or shortly after the release and believed in us and what we do and spend good money on it, we will now make you pay through the nose to get what anybody else who waited a year get's for what you spend a year ago plus 10 Euro. That is not fair, that is not right and that is not how customers should be treated.

In closing I would like to say that I really hope someone from EA reads this and that there will something be done about it because otherwise I will have to strongly consider ever buying any EA game pre-release again and rather wait a year for the GOTY edition.

Message 1 of 16 (20,009 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

Hero

This has been how EA has worked for a long, long time. This is why a lot of people wait a year or so to buy a game, so they can get the bundle/GOTY/whatever at a better price. This is also why EA is one of the biggest gaming companies left, they make money and use it to buy smaller ones who might not use such greedy tactics. Also, I doubt Bioware has much say in such things.

Also, these forums are probably not the best place to get EAs attention, they're for players to help out other players with the game, even most of the moderators are volunteers not affiliated with EA. 

There are no plans (nor are there likely to be) to offer an upgrade to GOTY edition. Looking back at their older games, you should see how this has never happened. It's unfortunate, but not surprising.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

View in thread

Message 6 of 16 (22,475 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Expert

I'd pay 14.99 or 19.99 for a GOTY upgrade, I also pre ordered the deluxe before release so, I'd love to have the GOTY upgrade w/o paying full GOTY price. I think regular 19.99 and on sale now ant then for 14.99 would be fair for it for those of us that want it, or just make GOTY that to accounts that pre ordered DAI or, owned the non GOTY before the GOTY was released.

Message 2 of 16 (19,899 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I'm not sure about 19.99 but the difference is 10 Euro for me. So between 10 and 15 Euro I wouldn't mind. Like I wrote I think it's really bad business to treat people who pre-ordered the game like this and I hope someone from EA will read it and maybe think about it.

Message 3 of 16 (19,888 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I paid full price for the game already. If EA wants to punish me for not wanting to pay 55$ more to get the DLC that they will sell to any newcomer for a fraction of that price, then I guess they wont get any more of my money.

I hope they come to their senses soon on this because I wont wait a year to buy them if they do decide to put on sale, I will long have the game uninstalled and forgotten about. Also leaves a bitter taste in my mouth and I will probably not buy anything EA or Bioware for a while.

I see no reason punish your old customers. Bad for business.

Message 4 of 16 (19,874 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

You said it!

Message 5 of 16 (19,865 Views)
Highlighted

Hero

This has been how EA has worked for a long, long time. This is why a lot of people wait a year or so to buy a game, so they can get the bundle/GOTY/whatever at a better price. This is also why EA is one of the biggest gaming companies left, they make money and use it to buy smaller ones who might not use such greedy tactics. Also, I doubt Bioware has much say in such things.

Also, these forums are probably not the best place to get EAs attention, they're for players to help out other players with the game, even most of the moderators are volunteers not affiliated with EA. 

There are no plans (nor are there likely to be) to offer an upgrade to GOTY edition. Looking back at their older games, you should see how this has never happened. It's unfortunate, but not surprising.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 6 of 16 (22,476 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I'm not sure why this is a surprise to anyone.  GOTY editions have always had most everything at a cheaper price than what people paid individually when they were first released. The GOTY edition is for newcomers to experience the "BEST GAME OF XXXX" that they poo-poo'd when it came out.  Likewise, wait another year and you can get it for half that, and then the next Christmas for under $10. (or Dragon Age Origin now for $1.99 -- WHY COULDN'T I PAY THAT 5 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!)

Heck, you could get Jaws for $5 off when Trespasser came out...if I'd just waited a month I could have saved $5!

Never works like that.  Pay what you want to pay when it gets to that price.  That's how I paid $10 for Witcher 1 & 2 (deluxe, with everything)

Now, if the GOTY edition had exclusive items, I'd want to upgrade to get those (or wait a year and get the GOTY for $10) like going from standard to deluxe.

Message 7 of 16 (19,839 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Still a year later, but would like to second the poster's opinion.  A DLC pack or upgrade option for those that purchased the base game upon release would be greatly appreciated.  Currently, I also feel slighted and am less inclined to maintain my former sense of support and enthusiasm towards EA or the DA franschise.

Message 8 of 16 (15,666 Views)

★★★ Novice

Also chiming in to say this is amazingly lame.

So you now sell the GOTY edition for less than what we paid at release for the standard game, and you give us no option to upgrade?

What, do you not like money?

Because there's no way in hell I'm buying the game again and no way in hell I'm buying all that DLC at a total cost greater than the cost of the GOTY.

This is just amazingly stupid treatment of paying customers and a great way to avoid some extra easy money.

For me, I never even finished the base game at release (so no reason to get DLC ever when it was released).   Now that I'm returning to the game later - and after you've discounted it severely, I find that you show zero respect to the people who believed in and bought the game up front with no questions asked.  Very, very lame.

Message 9 of 16 (15,349 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Recently started playing DAI again and was hoping that the DLC, especially Trespasser would be on sale so I could pick them up. Was very surprised to see nothing on sale and on top of that GOTY edition is $30 but the main 3 DLC's are still 15$, that's crazy to me. Its cheaper to buy the game again rather than to buy the individual DLC, I don't think I've ever seen a game price drop but not the price of the DLC. I'm pretty sure Dragon Age Origins and at least the first couple of Mass Effect games had the DLC price drop after a year. I'm really hoping that they'll have a thanksgiving sale next week where I can pick up the DLC.

Message 10 of 16 (15,236 Views)