Re: Update for PC controls?

by FluidPanNerd

Original Post

Update for PC controls?

★★★ Newbie

When will we finally get an update for PC to make Dragon Age: Inquisition actually playable? Movement and combat are the worst I have ever seen in a PC game. I had to quit over it. Frown

Message 1 of 6 (742 Views)

Lol, consider two factors.....

1)  Game is over 2 years old, there will be NO updates past things needed to keep it working in windows...if even then.

2)  The game ISN'T unplayable to many/most, and I seriously doubt EA/Bioware will revamp a control system used by millions of people successfully just for one person.......

Sorry you don't like the controls, they take a little getting used too, but they are entirely workable. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 6 (723 Views)

Hero

What problems are you having with movement?

There was a patch a long while ago that included a toggle for having mouse look instead of 'drag to look'. A lot of people liked that update. It also included a toggle for auto attack.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 6 (714 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

After four days of trying really hard to give this game a chance, I am officially giving up. There are way too many factors that render it unplayable to me (or at least reduce the joy of playing it to a minimum).

For starters, the awful menu navigation. Everything takes at least three times as long to find and skill or equip than in the previous DA games, and it gets even worse when you try to use the crafting windows. Whoever came up with this awful navigation system, shame on you! (Probably someone who plays only on consoles.) Then there are the general movement controls and the combat system. Are you kidding me? Staggering and sliding through the terrain is not my understanding of a fun time in a PC game. As for fights, normal mode feels like hard mode here, because there is no way to apply tactics whatsoever. Also, there is no real precision to be found in melee combat (again staggering around and somewhat uncoordinatedly swinging at your opponents).

And last but not least, the missing details on the area map. It's bad enough that the radar is a blank piece of pin-pointing quest locations and nothing more. But the fact that you lose orientation in those relatively big areas due to a lack of terrain drawing on the map? It becomes more of a game of, "Hey, haven't I been here before?", which isn't helped by the fact that enemies and prey alike respawn in a relatively short time, so that doesn't help you either to determine whether you have already been to the current site. This map system seems to be trying to forces you to leave exploration be and just focus on reaching the quest locations, which is a shame regarding the size of the area maps and the many secrets hidden within.

So, all I can say about Dragon Age: Inquisition is that this is not a worthy successor to the Dragon Age series. It feels more like a frustrating chore than an exciting adventure across Thedas. Sure, the graphics are nicer than in DA2 and the face editor is superb, but that doesn't make up for any of the aforementioned flaws.

Unfortunately, obviously, there won't be any updates to an "old" game like this ("old" by today's standards, set by greedy publishers like EA), because nowadays publishers don't care about making customers happy, just about selling more products. One can only hope that the next installment of the series will do better in all those regards. (Hint: There was nothing wrong with the UI, controls, skill system, and combat system in Dragon Age 2.)

Message 4 of 6 (689 Views)

Hero

@DocCovington wrote:

For starters, the awful menu navigation.

I 100% agree with you. BioWare hasn't designed a proper menu for PC controls in a long time. Mass Effect Andromeda is even worse in that regard where using the mouse wheel changes your selection instead of just scrolling the view.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 5 of 6 (659 Views)

★★★ Guide

@DocCovington

Sorry to hear you've given up. I would suggest giving it another try, but using a controller plugged into your computer. I found that a controller makes a lot of difference. 

Message 6 of 6 (638 Views)