Need to be logged in as an Admin in order to continue

by Kitansri

Original Post

Need to be logged in as an Admin in order to continue

★★ Novice

My computer runs on Windows 10. I have downloaded and reinstalled Origin multiple times and installed it in different places. I have ssd for the os that is my C drive then my data drive is D. Programs oftentimes default to the C drive which I allowed Origin to do. It is currently installed on my D drive where all my other games and such are located. My graphics card is a NVIDIA GForce GTX 960.

Origin started up fine regardless of where I had it installed.

The first problem arose when I tried to download DAI. It said I needed more permissions but the UAC never prompted me. I have the UAC turned all the way up and it didn't work. Internet told me a work around was to boot my computer up in safe mode. I did that it downloaded but when it was done said iy failed due to Visual C++ 2013. So internet told me to repair it. Through trial and error I realized that although I can repair it when my computer boots normally it will not let me repair the file in Safe Mode. Even if I reboot normal, repair the file, then switch back to Safe Mode it doesn't work. I've even re-downloaded Visual C++ straight from Microsoft to no avail.

Two, according to Origin the download was completed. Yet when I click on the game to install it tells me I need to be logged in as administrator in order to continue and I have a notice pop up at the bottom right of my screen stating the download failed.

I have disabled the firewall, allowed Origin specifically to bypass it, I have changed ownership of the file to my user name and changed the default settings to run Origin as administrator. Running the Compatibility Troubleshooter doesn't work, I've tried booting Origin in Windows 7, 8, and XP and it doesn't work.

I opened a ticket and spoke to customer service and did everything they suggested and it didn't work.

What am I missing? I really want to play DAI on my computer as I built it to play games but I feel as if my only option is to request my money back and just accept that I can't play it on PC.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

First file is the CS chat log

Second file is the error log related to C++

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 1 of 6 (1,210 Views)

Re: Need to be logged in as an Admin in order to continue

Man, sounds like you are having a bad day....I hope I can help...

1)  Go into Avast and put exclusions for Origin, and if you have a bioware game, then also include the bioware saves folder over in your users files...https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB168

C:\Users\(your user name)\BioWare     This is the usual location, but there may be some variance with your set-up.

2)  Make sure Origin is running as administrator.

3)  Check your download location/install location correct and there is enough room(triple check it, both location listed in Origin and on the actual drive)

4)  There is a setting in Origin called Download in safe mode, turn it on to see if it makes a difference.  In Origin options, listed down under Diagnostics tab.

5)  Personally, I HATE UAC and turn it off on my computers every time I see it.......yeah I know, it has it's place and can help or stop problems, but I HATE IT!!!

6)  You may also want to post up a Dxdiag file here...see spoiler tag in this post, if you don't know how... http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age-Inquisition/How-to-post-the-relevant-info-when-you-create-a-ques...

7)  You may also try this Visual C package to dl.....https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=13523

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 6 (1,184 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Thank you so much for trying to help me!

I have now put exclusions in Avast for both Origin and the game location. I have Origin set to run as administrator by default and have double checked that it is so. I forgot to mention I did try using the download in safe mode but it had no affect.

Here is the Dxdiag: https://hastebin.com/royaxatubi.tex

And the Visual C package looked identical to the one I had tried using and like last time it said it has been repaired. I wish there was a way to run a diagnostic on Origin itself. Origin says DAI is downloaded but when I try to install it says the download failed. Does that mean the download is corrupt and I have to try downloading again? Which would mean rebooting in Safe Mode with Networking since that was the only way I could get it to download in the first place.

For what it's worth:

Location of Origin

D:\User\Games\Origin

Location of DAI

D:\Games\Origin Games\Dragon Age Inquisition

I have installed Origin in C:\Program FIles (x86) as well as D:\Megan\Games\Origin

The only place I haven't tried that I could would be C:\Program FIles

Would that make a difference? I remember from my old computer that some games wouldn't function if saved in Program FIles (x86) so I always had to save them in the one sans x86. But now my set-up has the OS on a much smaller hard drive so the reboot is fast and all my data is on a separate hard drive.

Edit:

I don't know if this helps but this is what pops up when I try to install DAI

Message 3 of 6 (1,178 Views)

A few things of note.....

1)  In your DxDiag file it shows a bunch if issues with windows update failure and MPtelemetry(which is supposed to be microsoft windows defender related by my research).  I would see about getting your OS to check the latest updates and see if you can't get it to fix and or finish your latest updates.  Either roll back the last updates and redo, or see if their is an option to just repair it. 

2)  You may also try a clean boot, this will basically only boot up a limited pool of programs and see if you are having a program cross interference...https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

3)  I noticed you have a Wacom product installed, possibly one of their tablets??  Try removing that item and related programs.

4)  You may also run a file checker on windows to make sure your OP system hasn't gotten bugged....https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-o...

As far as the install location, at one time it hated to be in anything other than stock location, so you may want to delete/remove origin and reinstall it into stock location which is C:\program files(x86), just to make sure, then go back and make sure the install locations are rechanged back to your D: drive..  And honestly at this point, I would definitely delete the downloaded files of DA;I and reinstall them once you get Origin back into stock location.

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 4 of 6 (1,163 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Alright so Windows was up-to-date, I suspect the issues/failures was because Windows Defender was disabled maybe?

I did uninstall the Wacom tablet and as far as the file checker it found nothing.

So I did reinstall to PFx86 and made certain the game files were in a Games file in the Origin file. Which seemed to do the trick! The game downloaded and installed!

Yay!!!

And now it appears my issue is that when I load the game it crashes right away. >:[

I thought at first it was due to the fact that I have duel screens set up but it isn't. I tried loading it on both screens with the other disabled but it crashed on both. Any suggestions?

Edit:

1) It appears that one solution is to install older graphics card drivers would that work? And how would I go about un-updating a driver?

2)I ran the Reliability Monitor and this is what I got for DAI when it crashed:

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\Games\Dragon Age Inquisition\DragonAgeInquisition.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: DragonAgeInquisition.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5600f278
Fault Module Name: aswhooka.dll
Fault Module Version: 17.5.3.7495
Fault Module Timestamp: 594bb38f
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000003318
OS Version: 10.0.15063.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 7a6f
Additional Information 2: 7a6f29ae73b177969ba65834742b60c3
Additional Information 3: bb08
Additional Information 4: bb08f285d70998d0d69eff27ddce5cad

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: bb1a24a71175e8af567c162e4929039f (120786472637)

Message 5 of 6 (1,143 Views)

★★ Novice

On further investigation I found the culprit. 

aswhooka.dll

Is an AVAST file that was causing the game to crash. The solution was to add the game as an exclusion under the behavior shield.

Message 6 of 6 (1,139 Views)