NVidia Optimus (GTX00M) Cannot Run in Fullscreen Mode

by aspirechan

Original Post

NVidia Optimus (GTX00M) Cannot Run in Fullscreen Mode

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

So, when I try to run DAI it flashes between what would be fullscreen and a window for several seconds, before settling on a window which isn't even the size that it's supposed to be running on. When I click on certain things it flashes between what would be a fullscreen and a window again, but settles on a window again.

This DXdiag information only consists of the graphics information, because that is the only problem here.

Spoiler

---------------

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A16&SUBSYS_131D1043&REV_0B
Display Memory: 4020 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1972 MB
Shared Memory: 2048 MB

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 840M
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 840M
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Render-Only Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1341&SUBSYS_131D1043&REV_A2
Display Memory: 4020 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1972 MB
Shared Memory: 2048 MB

Edit:

The problem is solved!! 

And no, neither Bioware nor EA had anything to do with it. They do not care and they have never cared about a solution to this problem. The solution? Upgrade to Windows 10. It is the only solution and it will be the only solution for a very long time (possibly forever) because this problem was never being worked on by Bioware or EA. Ever. Upgrading to Windows 10 also allowed new drivers to be installed on older Nvidia cards (I was stuck back in November with my 840m) and has resulted (for me) in higher frame rates and better game stability.

After a good deal of research by other people in this thread, the actual problem was found to be related to the intel drivers and not the nvidia drivers. That said, intel said they were working on a fix. So there may still be a fix for people who are having this issue(and don't want to upgrade to Windows 10) some day in the future. But I can't, and won't promise that.

Want to suggest fixes? (read this before you do please)

1. Not everyone has teamviewer, closing teamviewer CAN solve this issue for people who are using teamviewer, but obviously not everyone uses teamviewer. 
  2. Running in windowed fullscreen is not the same as running in fullscreen, you will experience FPS and performance loss. This is not a solution, it is a bandaid for a much bigger issue.
  3. This is not a 'your specs are too low' problem, this is a nvidia renderer problem, this was confirmed to me by techs at EA.
  4. Doing a clean boot, like the mod underneath suggested, doesn't solve the problem.
Message 1 of 453 (54,008 Views)

Re: Cannot run in full screen mode!

Community Manager

Hey, can you restart with a Clean Boot and see if that has any effect? If it does, please try turning on your programs gradually to see where the culprit is. 

If it has no effect, I'll ask you to wipe your settings file, hopefully it'll be fine after a reset.

Delete the ProfileOptions_profile file at My Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age Inquisition\Save then start back up the game. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 453 (53,730 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same was happening to me when trying full screen.

Then i tried full screen windowed and turns out to get full screen instead and everthing  is working just fine now

Message 3 of 453 (53,704 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

The clean boot didn't help and deleting that file didn't help. Frown 

If flashes from the window into fullscreen and then back into the window about 4 or 5 times before it settles on the window. The resolution it's supposed to be set at is 1366x768, but the window it's displaying it in is smaller (which is odd). If I maximise the window (which I can do) I cannot move my mouse below the top of the bottom bar.

Also, every time I edit a setting it does the little flash betwen screens things. 

Turning it into windowed fullscreen did fix it. But that's sort of only a temperary fix. x_x

Edit: I've noticed something new. I probably wasn't noticing it before with the game not running in full screen, but when I open it the game is not opening as the window on top. Instead it is starting behind. Regardless of whether I'm on the desktop or have chrome running I have to alt-tab into the game, or click on the icon on the bottom bar. It doesn't start as the main window.

Message 4 of 453 (53,644 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I, too, would like to know how to fix this. Borderless fullscreen works, but is less than optimal. 860Mv2 (4GB Maxwell) with driver 344.65.

I did try the usual Windows 8/8.1 tricks such as forcing vsync both in the Nvidia Inspector and in the game itself, as well as independently of each other, disabling display scaling both system-wide (I don't display-scale anyway) and specifically in compability settings, running as administrator and in various compability modes and so on.

What gives?

Message 5 of 453 (53,537 Views)

Community Manager

Just as an idle thought, can you disable any overlay software that you have, in case it's a factor?

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 6 of 453 (53,527 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I have tried with Origin both enabled and disabled, as well as completely exiting Steam and UPlay, without success. To be clear, I have the same issue as the original poster where the screen will flicker back and forth a few times, but too fast to discern whether it actually goes fullscreen and abandons it, or if it's just a black screen inbetween windowed mode.

I have also tried forcing Windows' resolution to 1280x720 and other reasonable resolutions (my native resolution is 1920x1080 which I would prefer to play at) and matching that resolution in-game. No cookies.

Additionally, I have tried a lower fullscreen resolution in-game (say, 1280x720) with Windows set to 1920x1080, which oddly enough results in a fullscreen window with borders at 1920x1080 unscaled, regardless of which resolution is picked in-game. It is 1920x1080 for certain, not simply upscaled, although if it were I would consider that behavior odd as well.

Are there any command-line switches such as the ones which enable 60FPS cutscenes, but to force resolution and window mode?

Message 7 of 453 (53,515 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I have FRAPS and also I have Origin in Game. 

I already tried running it with FRAPS disabled, this did not solve the problem. Should I also try to run it without Origin in Game?

Message 8 of 453 (53,508 Views)

★ Novice

Here is a workaround that I'm using. Not ideal but its better than seeing the window.

http://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/

Message 9 of 453 (53,470 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Replying to the above suggested solution - I can run the game in a borderless window fine as-is using the in-game borderless window option. The problem arises when other applications steal the mouse cursor and I have to tab out and back in to get it to reappear, as well as the 860M Maxwell being in the midrange of cards so it could really benefit from the added performance of true (overscan) fullscreen.

Message 10 of 453 (53,439 Views)