Game freezes in main menu

by JupixFIN

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game freezes in main menu

★★★ Apprentice

Hi

I have a really bad case of the game freezing before I can do pretty much anything. It happens in the main menu when normally the game would be interactable (click here to continue, able to browse the main menu and settings, etc.)

First the screen freezes. Music and the ambient noise keeps playing and cursor keeps moving. Then the music stops and the UI stops responding. Then the ambient noise stops. All the while the cursor still moves, and I'm able to alt-tab out and kill the game executable.

Happens on any graphics settings from all-low to ultra. Happens also on default GPU clocks and while overclocked (yes, my overcloks are also stable).

Happens no matter whether I'm using the online features or not.

Happens regardless of running as admin or not. Firewall has been checked; is open for both 32bit and 64bit executables on both public and private networks.

I'm running at 4K 60Hz on Windows 8.1 on the NVIDIA 344.75 "Dragon Age: Inquisition game ready" drivers. Hardware:

Asus P5E Deluxe

Intel Q6600 @ 3,0 GHz

4 gigs DDR2

ASUS GTX 980

When the game crashes my RAM consumption is at about ~ 75%. I know I'm on the low end on RAM but that shouldn't matter when I meet the minimum. Also, when it runs out it should start swapping anyway, and not just crash.

Also for what it's worth my setup is rock solid for all other games including Mass Effect 3.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 30 (7,265 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Game freezes in main menu

★★★ Apprentice

OK, I think I have it fixed now. I just played about an hour through the character creation and the first cutscenes. Can play and change settings without it freezing etc.

The solution was simply to put Origin in offline mode (and have DA:I itself in offline mode regarding Dragon Age Keep). This clued me in: http://1drv.ms/1xYCHa5 (right after a freeze earlier.)      

I have to credit this thread for the solution: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age-Inquisition/How-to-keep-the-game-from-freezing-crashing-my-succe...

View in thread

Message 23 of 30 (6,796 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same issue but on the Xbox One. Wonder if it's something new, cause I never had it the previous two days.

Message 2 of 30 (7,234 Views)

★ Apprentice

I also have the same problem or I get stuck while loading the main menu.
I or an AMD E-350 Processor 1.60 GHz with a ram only 4.00 GB DDR3
running windows 7 64 bit, then the graphics card and a AMD Raedon HD 6310 card and the minimum and "AMD Radeon HD 4870"! "4870"! as possible? and absurd that the minimum requirements to get into it but I can create these encounter any difficulties, or tried to download the latest beta release of AMD but nothing coem usual we are always there.

Message 3 of 30 (7,215 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
Same issue only on the PS3. Game worked great at like 2 am, but not it freezes right after the screen goes black... Grr
Message 4 of 30 (7,213 Views)

★★ Novice
Mine is doing the same thing for my ps3 too. I can play multiplayer still though. Which is odd...
Message 5 of 30 (7,203 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hey everyone.

Just wanted, for the record, to report that I encountered the same problem... or a simular as I understood.

I'm on PC. Installed DAI, launched it, it comes to the menu screen (with mages and templar and "click to continue") then, at the connexion to DA servors, music disapear, then the sound, then the whole screen freeze...

For the record I was able to come to the menu screen at my 2nd try, then as I come to the option to change a few things it crashes again. Now it always stuck at connexion, and I have to manually disabled the game.

I tried everything, reinstalled the game, reinstalled Origin, launched the game offline... I'm under a AMD system and also installed the latest driver (catalyst 14.11.2 beta as they asked here http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age-Inquisition/INFO-DA-I-Troubleshooting-amp-Workarounds/m-p/401282... ) ; nothing doing. Here my system components :

- Processor : AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics

- Memory : 4,00 Go

- System : 64 bits, processor x64

- Graphic card : AMD Radeon HD 8330

I also tried a solution I found here : http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age-Inquisition/Menu-Freezing-Solution-Quad-Core/m-p/4001333 , but it only made things worse because not even it doesn't work but then animation was extremely slow !!

I'm in France, and the game just has been launch, so I really hope (I pray !) that it's Bioware servors that are overloaded and that it will be fix tomorrow or this Week-end, or at least get a fix soon.

Message 6 of 30 (7,199 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

checked the other messages from the forum and remark there is a LOT of freeze & crash reports. Really hopes that means they working out there to update the game.

Oh Bioware, how I love your games & hate you the same time... >_<

Message 7 of 30 (7,165 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

There is progress : I've been able to pass the Servor connexion... yet it still freeze after only 10 or 30 seconds (I have just been able to see the menu...)

Message 8 of 30 (7,155 Views)

★★ Novice

I have exactly the same issue. The freeze starts out with the mouse pointer able to move, and the sound playing but no control. Within 60 seconds the music stops too.  

I meet the minimum specs (I tested it as EA recommends using the "Can you run it" site.) System Specs are below in System Specs section. I did a clean 64 bit OS reinstall recently, fully patched the OS, am running the latest video card drivers (V344.75). I rebooted my PC after installing the game. 

Specs

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Speed 2.7 GHz
Number of Cores 4
CPU ID BFEBFBFF0001067A
Family 06
Model 17
Stepping A
Revision 07
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Chipset GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Dedicated Memory 1.0 GB
Total Memory 3.7 GB
Pixel Shader Version 5.0
Vertex Shader Version 5.0
Hardware T & L Yes
Vendor ID 10DE
Device ID 1244
Plug and Play ID VEN_10DE&DEV_1244&SUBSYS_089C196E&REV_A1
Driver Version 9.18.13.4475
Memory 6.2 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Service Pack 1
Size 64 Bit
Edition Professional
Version 6.1.7601
Locale 0809
BIOS BIOS Date: 08/04/09 14:18:53 Ver: 08.00.14
Version American Megatrends Inc. 0301
Manufacturer American Megatrends Inc.
Date 08/04/09

Message 9 of 30 (7,093 Views)

★★ Novice

Update 1 - I tried Set Affinity and disabling one core as suggested on another post. Doesn't help

Message 10 of 30 (7,085 Views)