Dragon Age Inquisition won't start (PC)

by FearFrank

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dragon Age Inquisition won't start (PC)

★★★★ Novice

Hi everybody,

I know there already were posts about this but they are old (2015-2016) and I don't know if now there's a fix or it's still a problem.

Here's what the problem is:

- I login Origin

- I start the game

- A little black window appears

- But it disappears after few seconds saying nothing

Here's what I tried to do:

- Reinstall the game

- Disable Origin in-game

- Repair the game and reinstall vcredist and DXSETUP from the main folder

- Launch the game in Offline mode

- Run the game with on compatibility mode with Windows 8/Windows 7

I have a powerful PC I know it's not about performance, I'm attaching the DxDiag file so you can see all my features.

I hope you can help me.

-Frank

Message 1 of 45 (74,983 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition can't start (PC -- onboard video)

[ Edited ]
Hero

I've had many issues with AVG in the past when it comes to gaming. Several years ago it would minimize my Team Fortress 2 game window, and for those who don't know, Team Fortress 2 doesn't like being minimized. This resulted in issues from 2D assets being rendered on the wrong layer to big staircases appearing on the control point so I couldn't help my team win. Standard smile

Avast is better (they recently bought AVG out), but the default Windows Defender should be more than enough if you employ common sense when browsing the internet with an ad blocker.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

View in thread

Message 7 of 45 (95,098 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Expert

You or someone has decided not to use the dedicated GPU, and plugged your display into the Intel video chip's display port, instead of into the GPU itself! 

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
          Chip name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
       Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
          Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
   Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
  Driver Attributes: Final Retail
   Driver Date/Size: 13/06/2016 01:00:00, 39862976 bytes
        WHQL Logo'd: Yes
         Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: GeForce GTX 1060

Message 2 of 45 (74,891 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I checked but Dragon Age use the Nvidia graphic card, as the other programs. Yes I forgot to mention that I also checked this.

Message 3 of 45 (74,886 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

The DxDiag report says that it disagrees with your information.  You may need someone who works with computers to show you what has apparently been done wrong, if what I told you already wasn't enough! 

Message 4 of 45 (74,875 Views)

★★★★ Novice

The DxDiag says this and I don't know why, but that is not the problem, every other program/game I run, it runs with the NVIDIA graphic card. I made sure that Dragon Age starts with NVIDIA card and it does, but it doesn't load anything, just a black window for 1-2 seconds then it disappears, it doesn't even reach the loading screen Zipped lips

Message 5 of 45 (74,862 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I've no idea why, but it seems that AVG was the problem. I already put DragonAgeInquisition.exe in the exceptions, Origin too but when I put DragonAgeInquisition.par and dbdata.dll in the exceptions, the game worked.

So the problem is resolved but how? What was the point, why AVG did this?

Anyway thanks for your help Gorath_The_Elder Standard smile

Message 6 of 45 (74,844 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

I've had many issues with AVG in the past when it comes to gaming. Several years ago it would minimize my Team Fortress 2 game window, and for those who don't know, Team Fortress 2 doesn't like being minimized. This resulted in issues from 2D assets being rendered on the wrong layer to big staircases appearing on the control point so I couldn't help my team win. Standard smile

Avast is better (they recently bought AVG out), but the default Windows Defender should be more than enough if you employ common sense when browsing the internet with an ad blocker.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 7 of 45 (95,099 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Oh interesting, I didn't know about Avast.

Thanks for the info!

Message 8 of 45 (74,796 Views)

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition won't start (PC)

★★ Novice

I have same problem. A try everything but it still doesn't run...I have 53hours in game and one day, it does't run Frown I reinstal everything, even the game and download it again but still nothing...it's funny...after 3 years and the game still not run properly :D 

Message 9 of 45 (74,731 Views)

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition won't start (PC)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@Wogin Hi, did you have any hardware or software changes since you could play last? Can you try temporarily disabling your anti-virus software as a test?

If you can list any steps you've already taken that should help.

Thanks. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 10 of 45 (74,723 Views)