Dragon Age: Inquisition keeps crashing to desktop no error message, unplayable

by Lanhdis

Original Post

Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition keeps crashing to desktop no error message, unplayab

★ Apprentice

I have an older rig, fx 4100, 5000 hd series vid card, and 16gb of memory.  I can play it, but sometimes (not often) it crashes, or will not start.  For the will not start, I restart Origin, (yes, I disabled the overlay), and restart DA after using ctrl, alt del to shut it down.  SOmetimes I have to do this three or four times. (unacceptable in my book, but I can play)  It allways freezez in the Contacting DA server if it freezes.  During game play, I have no real hiccups that are game breaking, but I did notice i am using Direct x 10, not 11.  ALso I can FORGET crossfire, it stutters too much.  It works fine with one card though.  The card(s) have 1 gig memory.

I know this is not a fix, this is just an observation that maybe will help some.  I do disable origin (go offline) if it hangs more than three times, and that seems to work.

Message 41 of 366 (7,613 Views)

Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition keeps crashing to desktop no error message, unplayab

★★★ Newbie
Game keeps crashing to desktop for me also. Tried allmost everything, but nothing helps. Problem is getting worse for me the further i get ingame. Now at old Crestwood and game is now unplayable, crash happens at least every 5 minutes. This sucks...
Message 42 of 366 (7,380 Views)

★★ Novice
The same thing is happening to me also. It worked for about 2 hours once it finished installing on Sunday, but ever since then it crashes to the desktop without any error message. Sometimes it won't even attempt to load. I did end up reinstalling it and I thought that would work, but of course it didn't. My PC is brand new and can run it fine, so it's got to be a bug in the game. I just hate feeling like I've wasted my money on it! Bioware has got to be working on something!!
Message 43 of 366 (7,289 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I can't even make it past the opening cutscene. It lets me make my character, watch the opening cutscene, and gives me control of my character, but as soon as I cross the bridge and head up the hill, it always crashes as I pass one of the barricades, the same spot every time. No error message or anything. My drivers are up to date, the game runs fine, no framerate issues.

Message 44 of 366 (7,254 Views)

FIX!! ;)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I can confirm that closing Nvidia GeForce Experience solved the problem!!! Standard smile

Message 45 of 366 (7,231 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@Aerysto wrote:

I can't even make it past the opening cutscene. It lets me make my character, watch the opening cutscene, and gives me control of my character, but as soon as I cross the bridge and head up the hill, it always crashes as I pass one of the barricades, the same spot every time. No error message or anything. My drivers are up to date, the game runs fine, no framerate issues.

You using Nvidia? Try closing Nvidia GeForce Experience by "end task" it in task manager.

Message 46 of 366 (7,229 Views)

Re: FIX!! ;)

★★★ Novice

I don't have Nvidia though, I crossfire 2 AMD Radeon HD 6970's

Message 47 of 366 (7,224 Views)

★★ Novice

Mine crashes right after character creation every time. The initial movie sequence ends. 2 minutes into the game.

Help or I'm going to have to get this refunded.

Message 48 of 366 (7,223 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I had the same problems... But got them solved by closing a third-party fan-control software (MSI Afterburner). No more crashes anymore.

Message 49 of 366 (7,185 Views)

★★★ Novice

I don't have afterburner, and yet I get the CTDs... I tried pretty much everything at this point and nothing seems to work. Soooo frustrating...

Message 50 of 366 (7,145 Views)