Dragon Age Inquisition crashes on startup

by Eko1598

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dragon Age Inquisition crashes on startup

★★★ Novice

Yesterday I tried to play DAI, but in the very moment I open it a black screen shows up for something like a sec or two and then it crashes to desktop, no error messages or anything.
I tried a lot of troubleshooting, I've already updated my GPU drivers (I've got a NVIDIA 1070), I tried to repair it with Origin, update it, I checked dx version (12), I tried to run it as admin, delete the last saves, disabling origin in-game, and in the end I reinstalled it. Nothing worked. I heard that sometimes AVG is the problem, but I use Avast. I played it fine untill December, I already have something like 96 hrs but now it doesn't work anymore. Does somebody have a solution? If necessary I could post a DxDiag.

Message 1 of 28 (50,489 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition crashes on startup

★★★★★ Expert

Some users of Avast have been reporting a need to add exceptions into that Anti-virus program now. 

View in thread

Message 2 of 28 (60,407 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Expert

Some users of Avast have been reporting a need to add exceptions into that Anti-virus program now. 

Message 2 of 28 (60,408 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you SO MUCH it worked!

Message 3 of 28 (50,420 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

You are very welcome!  Enjoy your game! 

Message 4 of 28 (50,411 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yep spot on. Yep manually adding DA:I as an exclusion from Avast did the trick, thanks for this. It only happened after the most recent Avast antivirus update about 1-2 days ago.

Message 5 of 28 (50,353 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Where do you do that? cant find it... Frown

Message 6 of 28 (48,341 Views)

google is your friend....

https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB168

global exclusions is what you want...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 28 (48,326 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I tried your suggestion since I'm having a similar issue, but it didn't work. I have tried turning off my shields and even that didn't work. Is there any other suggestions you could think of?

Thank you.

Message 8 of 28 (46,789 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
Uninstall the PoS a/v you're using and get one that doesn't cause this sort of problem.
Message 9 of 28 (46,779 Views)

@bittersweet806

If you have put in exceptions for either Avast or AVG, have tried disabling it, and if you have tried a clean boot of your machine and it still doesn't work, then we need more info on what is going on.

Post a DxDiag file here per the sticky at the top of this forum on how to post.  Post exactly what it is doing, anything you have done, and anything else you think might be relevant.  Without more info though, we can only guess.  But as I have stated before....99% of the time if the game starts for a second, goes blackscreen then closes, it is Anti-virus issues, and you simply haven't set things correctly to ignore Origin, DAI, and DAI saves folder....

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 10 of 28 (46,739 Views)