Direct x Error message "GetDeviceRemovedReason"

by randomdave19

Original Post

Re: Direct x Error message "GetDeviceRemovedReason"

★★★★★ Novice

I'm not sure what gave you the impression that I'm using a laptop? This is my desktop computer.

Huh, the tablet is an issue? I had been using it before. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling it. I need it, so I can't just not have it on the machine, but I can use a regular mouse to play the game at least, if that would help...

I can try running a video stress test, but I'm not sure why that would make much difference. The new video card is one step *better* than the previous one that worked just fine.

Since I was trying to run a new game anyway, removing the local version of my old saves is definitely something I can try. Again, not sure why that might help, but it can't hurt!

I was bummed to discover that one of the common fixes - running a system check to restore any broken Windows .dll files - found no problems and thus fixed nothing. :/

It really seems like a compatibility problem somewhere between DirectX 12, Windows 10, and DA:I, since most of the folks having this problem *didn't* just install a new video card, and no one brand of card seems responsible.

The most credible answer I've seen so far has to do with some kind of refresh rate in post-Vista Windows that didn't apply before and is potentially editable, but I haven't seen instructions geared towards Win 10 for it yet.

I will try replacing the old saves and un/re installing the Tablet next, thank you.

-E-

Message 21 of 36 (493 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I forgot to mention that the *first* thing I did was use the Origin option to repair the game itself.

Removed the Wacom tablet entirely for the moment. That didn't help.

Tried to run a benchmark in the game and got the same error as I've been getting when I try to start a new game.

So now I'm downloading the FurMark stress test installer. We'll see what that tells us, I suppose.

*sigh*

[Edit] No problems with the FurMark stress test or benchmark test.

Maybe I should look into that reg edit option... mrrr...

-E-

Message 22 of 36 (484 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Okay, I tried both regedit options. No dice. *sigh*

I did a full clean reinstall of the game, just in case the prior repair of the game was insufficient.

I'm really bummed about this. I have no idea what the real problem is, but none of the solutions that have worked for other people seem to be working for me. Perhaps it requires a precise combination I haven't accidentally hit upon in the process of trying each thing individually. Argh.

It seems clear that no one piece is malfunctioning. The operating system seems to be fine. The drivers are fine. The game is properly installed. The card runs fine and can handle the FurMark testing. Every piece is fine, yet somehow they aren't fine together. Frown

-E-

Message 23 of 36 (474 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert
Any Razer or Logitech hw/sw?
Razer keyboards/mice and (certain) Logitech headphones are known to cause issues.

Removing the vendor's sw seems to be the fix.
Message 24 of 36 (473 Views)

[ Edited ]

@EmberVoices

I got the impression that you are on a laptop because in the DxDiag the video card is listed as a

AMD Radeon HD 7670M 

and when it lists a M after the numbers generally means mobile version which most times is a reduced or hybrid version of the video card.  Most times that I have ever heard, you never get a mobility card listed in a desktop.....

Which MAY be part of the issue, as if it is a full HD 7670 and for some reason the driver thinks it is the mobile version then issues can occur....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 25 of 36 (463 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Aha! That's good to know, thank you. I haven't a clue what to do about that, and it doesn't seem to be affecting anything else, but I'll see if it's fixable!

Message 26 of 36 (454 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

> Any Razer or Logitech hw/sw?

That never crossed my mind, but no, it seems my keyboard, mouse, and ear phones are all HP. However, I do also have a broken set of HEBE earphones that may still have drivers installed.

That said, the *sound* has been just fine. It's clearly a video issue that's crashing. Do you suppose it's still possible that there's interference there somehow?

-E-

Message 27 of 36 (452 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

So, a bit of research into the card I do have... I don't see how it's possible that I have the M version, it would be shaped wrong. So somehow my machine is very confused what card I actually have.

The side of the machine says 7670, but we got the "next version up" (don't remember the details) when we had to replace it, and now I don't know what exactly we got!

If we did indeed get a 7670 again, that might not be supported for Windows 10, which may be part of the problem. I'm not sure *why* it's a problem, as the card had no trouble with the FurMark test, but that could be it.

Unfortunately, it's looking like the problem may well be that this machine can't be made entirely happy. I can't afford to replace it just for one game, even if it's my very favorite game. :/

-E-

Message 28 of 36 (446 Views)

One thing to try, is to go into your system and remove the card from the system and let Windows "refind" and thus reinstall the drivers for the hardware.  What I would hope would happen is when it is reinstalled, the system correctly identifies the card allowing it to install everything needed and continue on.  That is my hope. 

It is my understanding that mobile cards aren't actually cards, but instead are part of the motherboard of the laptop, integrated into the machine.  Now my understanding my be wrong, but that is what I have always understood about them...thus making an "installation" of a mobile card almost impossible, unless you somehow got it as part of a new motherboard by some strange manufacturing incident....

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 29 of 36 (439 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Apropo of nothing, it IS possible to change out the major processors on a motherboard - upgrading the core processor for example. So yes, you can still change them on a laptop, but laptops are enough of a pain to fix stuff like that, and I've never had one break in the hardware layer before it was obsolete anyway, so *shrug*.

I just tried getting the AMD software to fix the drivers. Whatever it did worked in the sense that the computer is fine, but I still get the damned error.

I can try uninstalling the video card, but... I'm not sure how I'll use the interface without video??

-E-

Message 30 of 36 (429 Views)