Re: DAI Crashing on Start Up

by mcsupersport

Original Post

DAI Crashing on Start Up

★★ Novice

I have never had a single issue with playing Dragon Age: Inquisition before on Origin (or any game for that matter) but this week I have. For the last week when I go to start my game it will bring up the initial loading screen for a few seconds and then crash, taking me back to my desktop. No error report, no indicator that anything went wrong. I have tried repairing, uninstalling and reinstalling, running fresh with no mods, uninstalling Origin and reinstalling. But nothing is working.

All my drivers are up to date. My game had been set to Windowed Fullscreen. I do not use an anti-virus or firewall program, using only Windows Firewall. Which I did turn off and then try to run my game, but it didn't help.

I am not the only one that seems to be having a crashing issue. I have at least 2 friends that are having the same issue.

My DxDiag: https://hastebin.com/aqimelejoh.tex

Message 1 of 5 (309 Views)

[ Edited ]

2 questions and one thing to try....

First, did the problem start before or after you updated to the latest video driver which was released 2.14.17??

Second, did you leave out some data in your DiaX file...usually has crash info at bottom, and yours doesn't, so was wondering if some was missed.

Thing to try related to the game, is delete your profileoptions and profileoptions_options file in your DAI saves folder which are all the video, audio and control customization you have for your game...this is to see if they are messed up and causing the crash.  You can rename them, move them or delete them it shouldn't matter, as soon as the game restarts they should be recreated.  Move them out if it makes you more comfortable.

Edit note:  your audio drivers are release drivers dated from 2010, and could also cause issues, and I personally think they should be updated if available just on principle alone....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 5 (291 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

This problem started before the video driver update, I had thought the update had actually fixed the problem because it went away for a day or so. But apparently not. Originally when the crashing started (I think it was on Monday? Or Sunday, it's been a long week) if I tried enough times it would eventually go through and start playing fine. But today it won't.

I followed the instructions via How to post the relevant info when you create a question and copied all the info in the DxDiag.

Just removed the ProfileOptions and ProfileOptions_profile, still nothing. I also tried another possible 'fix' by playing another game in Origin and then trying DAI again. Booted up Kingdoms of Amular fine, but DAI still crashes.

Honestly I don't know how to update my audio drivers? I just built my PC back in Dec. and use Razer Surround Sound and thought that was keeping my drivers updated (just did a 'Check for Updates', and says I'm up to date).

Message 3 of 5 (278 Views)

★★ Novice

I just repaired again (out of idle curiosity and frustration), and tried launching the game again - so, just like before, no mods and repaired.  And it came up.

I'm just... I don't even know. Everything seems to be working and looking fine - other than my graphics definitely need to be set back. I don't know if it temporarily fixed whatever was wrong, or if it's all good. Guess only time will tell.

Thank you for your help! It's truly appreciated <3

Message 4 of 5 (264 Views)

Congrats....I know there are some weird things going on with this game and antivirus lately, as well as some driver to game conflicts.  Lately most common cause of non-starts is Anti-virus needing exceptions for Origin and all related games and their folders(or disabling completely the AV).  Hope you don't have any further issues, and good gaming.

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 5 of 5 (247 Views)