DA:I crash on startup

by feywilder

Original Post

DA:I crash on startup

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

About a week ago I played Dragon Age Inquisition just fine. Yesterday when I tried to start it, the screen turned black and then it went back to my desktop. I've tried everything that this forum have suggested, repaired the game, removed all the mods, resinstalled the game, removed save files, add exceptions to Avast, update my graphic card, pretty much everything and yet I can't get it to work at all. I'm pulling my hair at this point. The game worked fine just a week ago and I've never had any issues like this before. 

here is my dxdiag: https://hastebin.com/olexokanel.tex

EDIT: the issue has been fixed, Avast was the culprit. I had accidentally only made an exception for the Origin Client but I needed to make it for the entire Origin Games folder which I had missed the first time. 

Message 1 of 4 (327 Views)

Re: DA:I crash on startup

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

I have very little respect for laptops as gaming platforms.  They are too expensive, the screens are too small, the keyboards too cramped, the cooling capacity is too minimal, and I could go on.  But more than anything else about laptops is the really awful nVIDIA mobile (Optimus) video graphics. 

You must constantly stay on top of those to make sure they are working instead of shirking.  I can't tell you what to do to in that regard.  My laptops never have had games on them.  Desktops are the only platforms I will use when gaming (must less costly).  You should look to nVIDIA's Geforce forums for Optimus support. 

Message 2 of 4 (317 Views)

Re: DA:I crash on startup

★★ Apprentice

Honestly, no need to sound condescending about my choices in platform. Just admit you don't know what the issue is or better yet just don't reply at all. I'm not here to discuss about what platform I choose, I'm here to get help about a game that until a few days ago worked perfectly and now it's not. 

Message 3 of 4 (309 Views)

Re: DA:I crash on startup, answered.

★★★★★ Expert

Both AVG and occasionally, Avast, as well, will cause your problem.  When an Optimus acts up, an Intel IGP will fail similarly. 

Message 4 of 4 (289 Views)