DA:I Fast Travel CtD? (PC, Origin)

by WitchEatingAToad

Original Post

DA:I Fast Travel CtD? (PC, Origin)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I can only fast travel between Haven, the Black Emporium, and the Hinterlands, as well as between camps within the Hinterlands. Anywhere else results in an instant ctd after the loading screen (cards loading screen -> black screen with pulsing Inquisiton logo -> ctd).

I can freely walk from Hinterlands to Valammar and back - it seems to be something to do with either the worldmap, or locations unlocked through wartable after I went to Hinterlands for the first time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fixes I've tried:

Traveling with vs. without companions

Traveling from wartable vs. worldmap vs. hexagon waypoints

Lowering all graphics settings to Low, disabling VSync

Disabling Origin in-game

Deleting other character files

Fullscreen Windowed mode

Closing all other windows

Uninstalling the Trial version

Deleting all hair mods

Deleting ALL mods (More Banter, Cullen and Iron Bull visual improvements, More Inquisition Levels, and Immersive Starting Armors)

Repairing through Origin

Loading a save from before I did any wartable operations (except for Black Emporium and Hinterlands)

Running Origin as an admin

Repairing and running without mods

Running Origin in Windows 7 compatibility mode

Updating graphics driver

Selecting Origin and Origin Games as folders for Windows Defender to unquestioningly allow through the firewall

So then I tried starting a new game. Uninstalled all mods, repaired through Origin. Went to Hinterlands first, rather than Black Emporium. Same glitch.

FOUND A FIX (courtesy of Tomas from EA customer support):

Uninstall everything DA:I related

Download and run Ccleaner

Reinstall DA:I

Message 1 of 11 (993 Views)

Re: DA:I Fast Travel CtD? (PC, Origin)

Community Manager

Thanks for the detailed post. You mention other character files, were you able to do other playthroughs of the game without this issue? Did you have the same mods installed during those plays?

You mention clearing your mods, can I check if you tried this at the same time as loading the earlier save? 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 11 (957 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

None of my other characters made it to Haven. They were just for experimental purposes.

My process went something like this: Make a few characters, install a bunch of mods (mostly to improve the hairstyles), create my main character, play game. I installed no new mods since then, only removing a few that I decided I didn't need.

After arriving at Haven, I used the wartable to unlock the Black Emporium, which I immediately fast traveled to. After that, I unlocked and traveled to the Hinterlands. Once I was mostly done with the Hinterlands, I went back to Haven, did some wartable operations, and discovered that I could no longer unlock new areas.

The saves I have are:

the autosave when you arrive at Haven after Cassandra interrogates you (untested)

one from 4 hours in (bugged, with or without mods)

one from 8 hours in (bugged, with or without mods)

various from 9-12 hours in (after I discovered the bug, I decided to 100% the Hinterlands)

What I'm hoping for is a way to fix it that won't erase my progress.

Message 3 of 11 (942 Views)

A diaX file may help, as well as any crash logs from windows....search google for how to view and copy and paste them here like you would a DiaX file.

Some mods are saved in saves and don't remove very well....I don't know exactly how they are handled in DAI as I don't mod mine, but some games you have to start new to really find out if it fixes it.

My first thought is Mods conflict, but I have heard of other issues causing same such as bad drivers, bad directX files, bad C++ files, and a few others, so more info on your machine with the above DiaX and crash logs to really have a look into what is going on.

You may start a baseline character on a totally unmodded game(mods deleted and game repaired), and speed run through to opening up the capital city to see if it crashes...this shouldn't take too long, but would still be a few hours invested...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 11 (929 Views)

★★★ Novice

By DiaX do you mean DxDiag? Where would I find these files or crash logs?

Message 5 of 11 (925 Views)

Varies a bit on crash logs depending on your op system, so a simple google search of how to view crash logs on XXXXX op system will give you the answer...

And yeah, the DxDiag file is what I wanted....per the sticky post at top of forum about what info we need to help you...

Link to post which also contains instructions on how to get it and where to post it if you don't alr...

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 6 of 11 (910 Views)

★★★ Novice

Still looking for the crash logs but here's the DxDiag.

https://hastebin.com/asaxefirey.tex

It's a hell of an infodump, but it's what the instructions say to do.

Message 7 of 11 (906 Views)

Bottom of the Dx file shows some windows defender related crashes/hangs....I don't know if this is when you are playing or just left over from sometime in the past.

If the only AV program you use is windows defender then make sure you put exceptions or in whatever way it does, make sure it ignores Origin, DAI and the saves file for DAI over in your users section.

Your driver is I think one release out of date, and iirc that version had some stability issues.  Recommend a driver removal and complete reinstall of your video driver to the latest driver.

removal instructions per nvidia

driver page nvidia

You also will want to try a clean boot of your system and see if it works.

Double check your video card settings on your machine and make sure everything is set up to run on the Nvidia card instead of the Intel chip....but you may want to upgrade the intel driver if available, because some laptops use a hybrid system and it stays involved some...yeah it causes issues, but newest drivers sometimes helps....

Double check your power settings.....ahh, why you ask, well some laptops will change which video card they use, and how it is used based on the load of the machine, the settings and the amount of battery/power available....this has caused different issues here, such as the game trying to use the Intel chip to save power during gaming, resulting in a crash...

And last for this post, you may want to see if you have a audio driver update...yours is dated 2012, which may or may not be the only one available, but wouldn't hurt to check if nothing else works....

Message 8 of 11 (896 Views)

★★★ Novice

Damn, that's super informative. I'll start trying your suggestions and see if anything works. Thanks

Message 9 of 11 (891 Views)

Community Manager

@WitchEatingAToad Hey, it's been a few days, I'm just wondering if you had success with the steps mcsupersport mentions. There's some good content here and I'd love to be able to verify it. 

Cheers. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 10 of 11 (827 Views)