Re: Companions aren't bantering?

by maljester

Original Post

★★★★★ Novice

PC, and I for sure have this issue as well.

Message 171 of 388 (15,214 Views)

★★ Novice

dammit, is there even a temporary, semi-reliable workaround?

Message 172 of 388 (15,209 Views)

★★★ Novice

Keep an eye on the BW forum thread where a number of solutions are being tested by folks: http://forum.bioware.com/topic/525267-party-banter-silencenear-silence-glitch-thread/

In short, some people have had limited success with mounting & unmounting their horse, then resting.  Also fast travel and changing the audio settings.  But nothing concrete and long term yet.  It's definitely still being worked on by BW.

Message 173 of 388 (15,188 Views)

★★★ Novice

Just to update (aside from zero banter), I also get zero background music in most areas, all I hear are my echoing footsteps.

I am on the PS4, no mount yet, and weapon pack installed.

Message 174 of 388 (15,162 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice
Apologies for the copy-paste formatting, and for the incredibly, incredibly long post. Enchant_m3nt on the BSN Feedback thread had success with cycling/changing the audio settings to trigger banter and fix music/combat dialogue. I'd sadly had no luck with the mount/camp rest/teleport combo, and to my absolute astonishment - Houston, we have music and banter! (For those having trouble with the glitch, try the mount/dismount-rest, or trying the audio settings cycle to trigger banter/music. It'd be interesting to see what works for people, if it hopefully works at all.)

At first I ran around in the Hinterlands for awhile, trying out mount/rest. Dorian/Sera/Bull wouldn't talk, so I changed from (Home Theatre - TV), get into combat, get combat noise, and 1min later, Dorian/Sera have a banter. Stumble into more combat with correct combat noise, 1 min later, get another banter between them. Run all the way to Redcliffe Village, Dorian makes an ambient comment (I have gotten ambient comments before, though), but then everyone stopped talking. 

I teleport to the Lake Luthias camp, no banter, BUT there is music playing at the camp. Run around for a bit, banter has stopped, I changed the settings from TV - Night. About a minute later I can hear Dorian saying something in the background - it has to be him, as there's no one else around, and the voice is deep/British. The combat/voice icon bizarrely doesn't trigger though, and his voice is extremely muffled. Get into combat, once again get combat dialogue, a moment later Sera/Bull have a banter. There's also accompanying music. The banter stops again, and Dorian repeats his ambient banter from earlier (complaining about the cold). I've never had ambient banter repeat before, but it may be intentional since he's talking about the weather.

I've spent 6hrs in the Storm Coast (predominantly with Blackwall/Viv/Varric) in my 32hrs, for both longer periods of time/shorter periods of time. I've never gotten any banter from any party members, let alone with those three in any other area. I took them again, spent about 15 minutes in silence, and in desperation changed the sound settings again. I fought some baby dragons, and voila, for the first time in my entire bloody game, Blackwall/Viv have banter. About a minute later Varric/Blackwall have banter.  Four minutes later, Blackwall/Varric banter again. I heard some new music I've never heard from the Storm Coast. (There's a definite increase in musical cues too, I don't think I've noticed so many in a short period of time.) They stopped talking again after awhile, I became impatient again, changed the settings -  2 mins later, another Varric/Blackwall. All the while, I'm hearing combat dialogue from them, which I've heard very little of before.

Whatever is wrong with Val Royeux and Forbidden Oasis in my game is completely blocking all banter - no matter what I try, no matter what party combinations/settings, nothing will trigger. Playing with the sound settings in Forbidden Oasis at least made the music/combat dialogue consistent, which was something I've never had before. (Val Royeux now plays music on loading/entry, which it didn't used to do. Didn't realise Val Royeux had music until recently!)

Before changing the sound settings/menu, I'd previously have 30 mins/1hr before I'd hear a musical cue - they now seem to happen every one to two minutes. (I had three cues trigger in about a minute and a half.) It makes such an impressive difference to the Hinterlands and the Storm Coast, wow. Far more alive.

I'm baffled at what exactly is resetting the banter/music issue - going into the menu would make sense, but I always spend a lot of time in the menu during game play. Even though Val Royeux/Forbidden Oasis are still not working correctly, by changing the sound settings, I've gotten seven instances of banter overall in about 50 mins - that's an incredible (and fairly consistent) amount in comparison to what I'd been getting before. I've never had anything like it. Banter seems much more likely to trigger after combat, too, so as Efvie mentioned over on the Feedback thread, combat could definitely be involved in the issue.

I was really surprised that this worked at all! Vivienne and Blackwall talked! Blackwall and Varric had multiple conversations! I never thought I'd see the day. For those with the glitch, keep an ear out as you're playing for music and combat dialogue - if they're both working, there should be a higher probability you'll get banter to trigger, too.

Message 175 of 388 (15,143 Views)

★★ Novice
PS3, deluxe edition.
Message 176 of 388 (15,133 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Ps4. 25ish hours. Digital delux. Custom world state. Just got to skyhold ( a lot of afk busy house )This breaks my heart. Limited time so can't really restart and don't want to miss out on that much content. If the bug is patched is the previous banter gone for good or would it still be used at some point especially interactive ones and ones that can affect dialogue options?
Message 177 of 388 (15,085 Views)

★★★★ Novice

PC Digital Deluxe, custome world sate.. Roughly 140 hours in and I've only heard party banter maybe 10 times, regardless of walking around Hinterlands for the bulk of my playtime. Figured there just wasn't a whole lot of banter to be heard, glad that isn't the case!

Message 178 of 388 (15,056 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have been playing about 55 hours and have been having this issue. I thought maybe I had just been using a group that didn't like to talk to each other or something. I get just a few random conversations, usually early into going in a zone. Then it dies off. My typical party set up is Cassandra, Varric, and Vivienne. 

Message 179 of 388 (14,991 Views)

★★★ Novice

@maljester wrote:
Apologies for the copy-paste formatting, and for the incredibly, incredibly long post. Enchant_m3nt on the BSN Feedback thread had success with cycling/changing the audio settings to trigger banter and fix music/combat dialogue. I'd sadly had no luck with the mount/camp rest/teleport combo, and to my absolute astonishment - Houston, we have music and banter! (For those having trouble with the glitch, try the mount/dismount-rest, or trying the audio settings cycle to trigger banter/music. It'd be interesting to see what works for people, if it hopefully works at all.)

At first I ran around in the Hinterlands for awhile, trying out mount/rest. Dorian/Sera/Bull wouldn't talk, so I changed from (Home Theatre - TV), get into combat, get combat noise, and 1min later, Dorian/Sera have a banter. Stumble into more combat with correct combat noise, 1 min later, get another banter between them. Run all the way to Redcliffe Village, Dorian makes an ambient comment (I have gotten ambient comments before, though), but then everyone stopped talking. 

I teleport to the Lake Luthias camp, no banter, BUT there is music playing at the camp. Run around for a bit, banter has stopped, I changed the settings from TV - Night. About a minute later I can hear Dorian saying something in the background - it has to be him, as there's no one else around, and the voice is deep/British. The combat/voice icon bizarrely doesn't trigger though, and his voice is extremely muffled. Get into combat, once again get combat dialogue, a moment later Sera/Bull have a banter. There's also accompanying music. The banter stops again, and Dorian repeats his ambient banter from earlier (complaining about the cold). I've never had ambient banter repeat before, but it may be intentional since he's talking about the weather.

I've spent 6hrs in the Storm Coast (predominantly with Blackwall/Viv/Varric) in my 32hrs, for both longer periods of time/shorter periods of time. I've never gotten any banter from any party members, let alone with those three in any other area. I took them again, spent about 15 minutes in silence, and in desperation changed the sound settings again. I fought some baby dragons, and voila, for the first time in my entire bloody game, Blackwall/Viv have banter. About a minute later Varric/Blackwall have banter.  Four minutes later, Blackwall/Varric banter again. I heard some new music I've never heard from the Storm Coast. (There's a definite increase in musical cues too, I don't think I've noticed so many in a short period of time.) They stopped talking again after awhile, I became impatient again, changed the settings -  2 mins later, another Varric/Blackwall. All the while, I'm hearing combat dialogue from them, which I've heard very little of before.

Whatever is wrong with Val Royeux and Forbidden Oasis in my game is completely blocking all banter - no matter what I try, no matter what party combinations/settings, nothing will trigger. Playing with the sound settings in Forbidden Oasis at least made the music/combat dialogue consistent, which was something I've never had before. (Val Royeux now plays music on loading/entry, which it didn't used to do. Didn't realise Val Royeux had music until recently!)

Before changing the sound settings/menu, I'd previously have 30 mins/1hr before I'd hear a musical cue - they now seem to happen every one to two minutes. (I had three cues trigger in about a minute and a half.) It makes such an impressive difference to the Hinterlands and the Storm Coast, wow. Far more alive.

I'm baffled at what exactly is resetting the banter/music issue - going into the menu would make sense, but I always spend a lot of time in the menu during game play. Even though Val Royeux/Forbidden Oasis are still not working correctly, by changing the sound settings, I've gotten seven instances of banter overall in about 50 mins - that's an incredible (and fairly consistent) amount in comparison to what I'd been getting before. I've never had anything like it. Banter seems much more likely to trigger after combat, too, so as Efvie mentioned over on the Feedback thread, combat could definitely be involved in the issue.

I was really surprised that this worked at all! Vivienne and Blackwall talked! Blackwall and Varric had multiple conversations! I never thought I'd see the day. For those with the glitch, keep an ear out as you're playing for music and combat dialogue - if they're both working, there should be a higher probability you'll get banter to trigger, too.

I'm definately going to try that today! 

Message 180 of 388 (14,984 Views)