NVidia Optimus (GTX00M) Cannot Run in Fullscreen Mode

by aspirechan

Original Post

Re: Cannot run in full screen mode!

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@amoo_manoo wrote:

@afsfigueiredo wrote:

Ok, i could "isolate" the issue ... It seems that it´s related to Windows 8.1 and upper and nVidia based notebooks with optimus.

I´ve re-formated my notebook and tryied all available flavors of Windows so far ...   it worked with windows 7.0 and 8.0 ; it doesn´t work under windows 8.1 and 10 tech preview.

For now i´m staying with Windows 7, i really enjoyed windows 10, but as the game i most play now is DAI, and to use the full power of the GTX870m it must be on full screen ... Windows 7 stays, i´ll keep track of this forum and if the final solution is presented by nVidia or EA , i´ll update again to W10. 

so running it on windows 7 solves the issue?

Yeahp ... I´ve read a dozen of foruns , and , especulating, it seems to be related with the scaling method Windows 8.1 and upper uses .

@EA, @Bioware, @nVidia, please, at least give a heads up on this issue.

Message 401 of 453 (3,374 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

The problem shall never be corrected by Electronic Arts or Nvidia for one simple reason: the cause is in the Intel Driver.
I had a doubt that the reason for the full screen issue could be in the bugged scaler of the Iris Graphics driver and yesterday I had the final confirmation when i installed Windows 10 Technical Preview.
After the very first installation of the beta version of Windows there was a moment in which both graphic cards drivers were not installed.
I started installing the Nvidia Driver maintaining the Windows Base Driver for the intel card.
I run the game and it was working in full screen, although with poor performance.

As soon as I updated the driver from the generic one to the intel Iris, the issue appeared.

So, we all understood that in Optimus laptops the scaling of the image is not managed by Nvidia card, that is the reason for which no option of override is available in the Nvidia Control panel.
But the scaler of the Intel driver is buggy. Bugs on Intel scaling are reported since 2012 and were never completely resolved.

We have to start pestering Intel if we want a solution on this problem.

I have opened the thread https://communities.intel.com/message/291754 in Intel community.
Please support it

Message 402 of 453 (3,348 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Dears,

an Intel guy appeared in the above mentioned thread to have a look into it.

I kindly invite all who has an Optimus laptop with Windows 8 or above to participate in the discussion and provide the system information required.

Thank you

Message 403 of 453 (3,098 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am having the same issue of it not running in full screen. I am running a GTX 870M. Adding my pain to the board as I will not play the game until it can be played in full screen and without performance issues.

I love the irony of the the "Ask. Answer. Be the Hero." thing they have at the top of the forum.

Today at Target a guy tried to get me to pre-order battlefront. I told him no as it's an EA product. He understood.

Message 404 of 453 (2,963 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I also have the same issue on my ASUS laptop.  Intel HD Graphics 4600, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870m.  Hope a solution is found quickly.

Message 405 of 453 (2,927 Views)

★★ Novice

@dgman94 wrote:
hey guys i just installed the game and I've the same problem ( Can't running it on full screen )
i tried to miss a little with the settings and i finally was able to run the game on full screen and maximum resolution . btw I've gtx 860
follow these steps:
go to
C:\Users\ {your user} \Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age Inquisition\Save
or simply This Pc\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age Inquisition\Save
after that open this file using notepad : ProfileOptions_profile
then change those values as following:
FullscreenEnabled 0
FullscreenMode 5
FullscreenScreen 0

ResolutionHeight 1080 ( or whatever resolution you want )
ResolutionWidth 1920 ( or whatever resolution you want )
and that's it
please make sure that you create a copy of this file and paste it somewhere else so if anything went wrong after changing these values you can copy it back
i'm sorry if my english was bad , have fun Secret 

Well, this works fixed my full screen problem.

I just changed these parts and other three things were already same with above number.

FullscreenEnabled 0
FullscreenMode 5

can you guys check it??

Message 406 of 453 (2,512 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This totally worked.  Thanks!

Message 407 of 453 (2,500 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Guys,

you are repeating and repeating a fake solution that is just a trick to show the game in borderless window.

By these settings you are just cheating the game and making it to think that fullscreen=borderless window. That is why you will read "full screen" in ingame options but still the game is windowed (and you can just press the start button on the keyboard to show it).

Please read a few post above: THIS IS NOT THE SOLUTION. The game shall still be suffering of poor performance compared to the one you would obtain with a true fullscreen.

Message 408 of 453 (2,467 Views)

★★★ Novice

Just bought DAI on sale today and am having the same problem as everyone else in this massive thread. I'm running a Razer Blade Pro with 860m Maxwell graphics. 

Message 409 of 453 (2,143 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Wanted to report that I cannot switch to fullscreen mode, too.

Graphics card: nvidia gtx 980m with optimus

I have just bought the game in the origin store and i am thinking about returning it now.

Message 410 of 453 (2,126 Views)