(Black Screen, Crash)Pentium G3258, I've got the power, but still nothing?

by Noja190

Original Post

(Black Screen, Crash)Pentium G3258, I've got the power, but still nothing?

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I realize everyone is getting frustrated with these questions, but why, when I can run Battlefield 4 on high-ultra, why can I not even start this game?

People with quad cores have reported the same issue as people with duel cores. I don't understand. I am seriously considering upgrading to the 4690k, just so I can play this game. I don't want to do that, thats a lot of money right now and I'm trying to wait for broadwell and the 5670k.

Is it just tough luck for me? or is this a problem that is actually going to fixed?

Other websites have claimed that I can in fact run the game, and I definitly know I've got the power to do so.

EDIT - I've basically seen EA support telling people they should just refund the game. Does that mean there is no hope for a patch?

Build

-----------------------

CPU: Pentium G3258 - OC - (stable)4.5GHz

GPU: GTX 770

RAM: 6GB 1333mhz DDR3

Message 1 of 15 (5,684 Views)

Re: (Black Screen, Crash)Pentium G3258, I've got the power, but still nothing?

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I'm in the same boat (pentium g3258). I was hoping to purchase the game, and I'm also waiting for the 5790k for an upgrade. The only dual-cores I've read that worked are the i3's with 4 threads and the mobile i5's and i7's that have 4 threads. I found an old quote from a developer about a month ago in which his Xeon with 2 threads ran the game with no error. So that makes me think it might be the DRM utilizing another thread which causes the problem. So maybe in the next few weeks/months after this exe is cracked that can be a solution for people with 2 threads. The quote is below: 

"For those asking dual core - one of the min-specish dual core workstations I have does indeed run the game, and not too terribly. I haven't played all that far though, and I'm not sure if we'd officially support it, so your mileage may vary.

It's a Xeon 5150 2.66GHz, with an 8800GTX (512mb), 4GB RAM. "

and can be found here.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/515786-the-big-can-my-pc-run-dai-thread/page-24

If I were you, I'd return the game and wait a few weeks to see what the community can do about this. There might be a hack or mod that will allow cpus with two cores to run the game. It is quite obvious that the 4 threads aren't critical to the game running as it was only a month ago that the bioware employee was running the game with only 2 threads. 

Message 2 of 15 (5,644 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Folks, I'm sure you know a Pentium is half castrated compared to an i3, since part of the ease of overclocking is that the cache is only half of a normal C2D size CPU's onboard cache.  I'm not privy to any changes in Frostbite since that engine first was used, and stirred up tons of complaints in the forums back then.

2000?  2001? 

I do know the BF4 game requirements are only a year old, with only dual cores, while Fifa 15 was intended for quads as soon as it was announced. 

Message 3 of 15 (5,633 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@ Gorath

This Pentium has higher benchmarks than many i3's and competes with i7's in single thread performance when overclocked. Even before overclocked it is comparable to a 3.4ghz i3 in performance. 

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G3258-vs-Intel-Core-i3-4130

The G3258 also outperforms older quad-cores (using all cores), which seem to run this game. 

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G3258-vs-Intel-Core2-Quad-Q6600

Fifa 15 runs on the G3258. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3ebntNPFOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RAhAvgTZkU

I think it was perfectly resonable to think of the minimum requirements as a soft-requirement from the experience with other recently released EA games using the Frostbite 3 engine. 

Message 4 of 15 (5,605 Views)

★★★★ Novice

G3258 will have problems... with far cry 4. The problems is that pentium g3258 is dual core... and dual cores sucks. Next time when you buy budget grab quad core i3 or amd athlon x4 or fx 6300.

So Penitum g3258 has same IPC as i7 - because it has same cores! it has less cache but that is not big deal. Big deal is that Games are going to be optimized for octa-quad cores so ... pentium will lagg or stutte or crash (black screen).

So i dont get people who buy pentium g3258 instead of i3 or FX 6300 ... pentium g3258 is not budget CPU for new games!

Message 5 of 15 (5,455 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@Achmed5858 wrote:

G3258 will have problems... with far cry 4. The problems is that pentium g3258 is dual core... and dual cores sucks. Next time when you buy budget grab quad core i3 or amd athlon x4 or fx 6300.

So Penitum g3258 has same IPC as i7 - because it has same cores! it has less cache but that is not big deal. Big deal is that Games are going to be optimized for octa-quad cores so ... pentium will lagg or stutte or crash (black screen).

So i dont get people who buy pentium g3258 instead of i3 or FX 6300 ... pentium g3258 is not budget CPU for new games!

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Firstly, the i3 is not a Quad-Core; it is a hyper-threaded dual-core. This adds a miniscule performance boost in applications that use more than two threads. That is it! The Pentium G3258 without even being overclocked matches the best i3 (4360) in total performance (considering all cores and all threads) and greatly outmatches it for applications that rely on single-core performance. This is not an opinion, it is a fact. All benchmarks: theoretical and real-world point towards this. If a game can run well on an i3 it should run the same if not better on a pentium g3258, and that is even before overclocking it. After overclocking the g3258, games run comparable to how they do on mid-end i5's. Gaming will take a very long time to transition to using more than two cores because of its nature of the engines that are currently out. It is really hard to program a video game that can run its processes on multiple cores. Even these games like Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition aren't really using more than two cores. They are just using the third core (at least in Far Cry's case) as the main core. But if you really want to know why somebody might buy an G3258 instead of an i3 or an FX 6300, I'll tell you the reason why I did? I wanted to build a new PC this year, and all of the components fit right into my ideal price and performance -range except the CPU. I needed a CPU that had enough power to play emulated Wii, PS2, and GC games. That mean the overclockable G3258 was ideal, until I can upgrade to an overclockable Quad-Core next year. I didn't want to be stuck with the FX 6300's upgrade path. I wanted an upgrade path that would give me an i5 Quad-Core, and the i3 just wasn't a better choice than the G3258, other than hyper-threading and a larger cache it was essentially the same power before I could overclock my G3258. Why would I buy a weaker CPU for more money when I just plan on upgrading when Broadwell releases anyway? The i3 doesn't have any more cores than the G3258, so you can't say these games are being optimized for more cores, they are being optimized for more threads, but honestly they aren't even being optimized - using the third thread as the main thread isn't optimizing a game for more than two threads. And in case you forgot, Quad-Cores are having the black-screen issue as well and the game runs on the tri-core XB 360. 

Message 6 of 15 (5,415 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Had no idea this thread was reciving attention. Thanks for the replies everyone.

The Pentium has been amazing. I do not regret buying it.

Message 7 of 15 (5,390 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Same problem here.

My g3258 is clocked at 4.0 GHz  2x 4.0GHz should equal 4x 2.0GHz in my opion.

I don't want to spend ~200-300 euro (2 million USD) on a CPU i'm not going to use in 99% of the cases.

Message 8 of 15 (5,226 Views)

★★★ Novice

I've heard tell that updating the drivers has fixed these issues for folk on G3258s. I've not OCed mine yet and still waiting on download, so still running 3.2GHz and not tested play yet, but from what I can tell try updating your drivers and it should fix it.

Message 9 of 15 (5,049 Views)

★ Novice

@AluximusMaximus wrote:

I've heard tell that updating the drivers has fixed these issues for folk on G3258s. I've not OCed mine yet and still waiting on download, so still running 3.2GHz and not tested play yet, but from what I can tell try updating your drivers and it should fix it.

Why are you feeding people stupid information?

Message 10 of 15 (5,037 Views)