[AVG/Avast] Inquisition won't open on PC (Re-occurring after Origin update)

by raynkure

Original Post

Re: [AVG/Avast] Inquisition won't open on PC (Re-occurring after Origin update)

★★★★★ Novice

I had the same issue, black screen for around 2 seconds and then CTD. I fixed mine by going into the Redist files and uninstalling each one then reinstalling them, I also went into thje EXE properties and added complete control to my account  (right click the DAI exe file choose properties then security and make sure that both your user account and your Administrator account have full control of the program).

Hope this helps someone as this thread helped me Standard smile 

Thanks to everyone for posting ideas and solutions, you all rock. This is dedicated to you all :- My Theme tune

Cheers

Message 151 of 230 (1,216 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Yeppers !

1. I did what a lot of people did, repaired the game or tried to, but origin kept saying game was fine.

2. tried for a patch, see if was one I missed, but nope game was up to date.

3. Lost all my shader mods, and skin, and eyebrow fixes, Totally bonked my game.

4. I am really discouraged with Avast, they are getting so invasive, it's like they stick there finger in every nook, and cranny of my System. 

I am beginning to think I would be just as well off, allowing the Trojan's, and Pup's to take over, And try to just fire wall everything, run CCleaner, and Malware bytes every now and then, and Hope for the best.. I mean that is all we can do anyway.

Avast hogs the start up, and makes booting a pain in the arse, it takes so long for Avast to finally release control to me.

I mean Origen, has my game under lock, and key, and getting support is a real pain in the but, lose you E-mail account, and it will probably be all over, or you have to jump through 20 or 30 hoops to get your games back if Ever.  Now Avast is ruining my Game play.

I hear AVG does the same thing, that stupid Avast Behavior Shield has been a pain to me ever sense it was employed, It has tanked Many game .EXE, and simple utilities that I have used for year's and know they are no problem with, to the Quarantine.

And either I have to Hope they are not deleted ( and I can dig them out of Quarantine ), or have to re install them.  I mean some virus's don't trouble me as much !.

I don't know how many Hours of Game play or productivity that shield has cause me, but I have it off now, and plan to keep it that way.

I wish it was not necessary to have a Virus scanner, but the way the world is... ( Sigh ! )

Sorry, but frustration, and all, I had to rant a little... Grrrr !

Message 152 of 230 (1,189 Views)

@taglag45

Just a FYI....Avast bought out AVG sometime around April of this year from what I understand.  That was about when they imported all the BS that AVG was doing to DAI.

My debate is whether I want to stay with the free AV or just break down and purchase one for 50$ a year...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 153 of 230 (1,180 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

That would explain, some things mcsupersport, it was around that time that I was looking up dog collar, and flea medicine for my dog, and Avast pops up, and say's some thing like " You know anyone can see what your doing on the internet" , and I was thinking Big whoop-de-doo, LOL

It just really seems invasive now.

Message 154 of 230 (1,158 Views)

Re: Inquisition won't open on PC

★★★ Newbie
Yes I did but nothing happens
Message 155 of 230 (1,121 Views)

Re: Inquisition won't open on PC

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

If you're using AVG or Avast Antivirus it will block Dragon Age: Inquisition to fix it all you need to do is the following.

Open your Antivirus go to your setting then excursions than adding C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\ to the list and save then close it, the game will start working again an easy fix.

Message 156 of 230 (1,105 Views)

★ Novice

I hate to bring back an old topic, but I'm having this issue as well.

The thing is, I've tried every proposed solution in this topic and assorted links & nothing is working. It did, however, work before I did a clean re-install of my computer. Once all the drivers were up to date & all the Windows 10 updates were installed, I decided I wanted to give the game another whirl and now I get the issue where the window opens up briefly, then closes again.

My hastebin: https://hastebin.com/ilorexaqot.tex

I've created an exception for damn near every file in both Origin and the Dragon Age directory, including all the executables (I use Windows Defender, which is the same I used back then -- and I still had it working just fine before I did a clean system install).

Honestly I don't know what to do. Origin and the games on this platform have always been problematic for me, clunky and unstable, but this is an unprecedented failure on its part in the time I've used it.

So what do I do now, that the proposed solutions do not work?

Message 157 of 230 (792 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@F3NN3CF0X; You uninstall that POS antivirus you're using and get a real product.  AVG and Avast are the ONLY ones that prevent DAI (and other Frostbite-based games) from running.

Message 158 of 230 (787 Views)

★ Novice
Hey, and thank you for responding. I can confirm the AV isn't the issue in my case; I disabled it entirely and the problem persisted.
Message 159 of 230 (773 Views)

@F3NN3CF0X

In the dxdiag file I see two things that concern me. 

1)  You have steel series products and I assume the control programs for them on your PC...this(the control programs) is a known issue with DAI(and many Frostbite games).

2)  You list several Widowsupdatefailure3 in multiple instances.  This can be anything from a major issue, to windows getting ticked because you didn't allow a product to update.  I would see about checking your windows updates and making sure everything is done and completed without issue.

I would recommend you doing a clean boot which will start your machine up with a limited number of programs running allowing you to test to see if the game will run then, and if it does you know it is a cross program interference.  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

If you have AVG or Avast, then I would uninstall it, if you have another one, then it probably isn't it.  I have seen on several occasions where AVG and Avast required BOTH disabling and putting in exemptions to get it to work...yeah, they are that bad on some machines.

You also have final retail from 2015 on your audio drivers, I don't know if they have a newer one for your machine, but you may check.  You may also see if you have a utility to check all your drivers for your hardware...I know my MSI MoBo has one, but don't know if other brands or computer companies offer one,

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 160 of 230 (768 Views)