Unsightly seam in male Hawke's chin

by EmuMaster2002

Original Post

Unsightly seam in male Hawke's chin

★ Novice

In most of the dialogue in the game, if I have a customized Hawke (male at least, have not checked female), while speaking he tends to get this gap opening in his chin, just underneath his lips. I've ruled out both mods being the possibly culprit as well as the patch (as I know 1.04 breaks a couple things) by installing fresh from disc, removing mods, making a new character, patching to 1.04, testing the Origin version I have (again, fresh install), etc. Every time, as soon as I clear the false opening and customize Hawke, the first line he speaks also makes the seam appear.

I fear this is probably a driver issue (last I played the game was over a year ago, and I've updated drivers a couple of times) and if so I have no idea how to fix it. I can't even find where to get older Radeon drivers, as the AMD site is pretty opaque on that issue. The problem persists in both DX9 and DX11 versions of the game.

I've experienced this problem in patch versions 1.0 (disc version) and 1.04 (disc and origin)

System specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz

7.94 GB RAM

AMD Radeon R9 200 Series running CATALYST 15.9.1 Beta drivers

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

I noticed just now the Config utility also shows my VRAM as... something odd, if that makes a difference. The value shown is "-2147483648 bytes" Pretttty sure I don't have negative VRAM Wondering

Message 1 of 3 (749 Views)

Re: Unsightly seam in male Hawke's chin

[ Edited ]
Hero

It's difficult to judge without screenshots, but is it possible his teeth are clipping through his chin? Is this with any custom Hawke, or did you only encounter this on one specific model?

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 3 (742 Views)

Re: Unsightly seam in male Hawke's chin

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I took a tiny video and made a gif to show the problem, as a screenshot might... overstate how drastic it is. This isn't the worst it gets, but it's an easily available and repeatable conversation. I've tested it with an unchanged preset, with and without a beard, and so far the only case I've seen where it hasn't done this is with the original default Hawke pre-set; my guess is that it uses an entirely different model or otherwise the beard simply covers the seam better. As you can see, it's not teeth clipping through, it's like one or two vertices in his chin just don't get the memo from the lip files when he speaks.

Turns out the HQ doesn't want me uploading it, so here it is on imgur: http://imgur.com/Q9UtIVK

After a little bit more poking around I found another oddity: A saved game that I made about a year ago (using roughly the same face) doesn't seem to have this problem. I'm wondering now if somehow the game is assigning the female Hawke's lip files to the male one. Though I have no idea how that would be happening even without mods installed.

Edit: I've been working on this a few more hours. I can copy an appearance over in a save editor from a save made sufficiently long ago and import the MORPH file directly. Assuming the character was made before whatever is causing this bug (I'm guessing .NET shenanigans) the face imports more or less gracefully. It's not a solution, but it's sort of a patch.

Message 3 of 3 (730 Views)