Re: Unable to Save (Miscellaneous Error)

by DoubleOZero

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Unable to Save (Miscellaneous Error)

★★★ Newbie

I've been playing DA2 forever and a day now with no problems, but today I've hit this weird problem where I can't save.  I've googled all over creation and haven't found any info.

The game loads all my saves just fine, so there doesn't appear to be any corruption.  In fact, I didn't realize I had a save problem until I loaded a save, roamed around a couple of areas, and tried to do a manual save. 

• If I try to save over an existing save, I get an error stating the save failed due to a "The save failed. A miscellaneous error occurred during the save process" with no further information provided.
  • If I try to create a new save, nothing happens - not even an error.  I don't even notice creating a new save failed until I go look for it in the load menu, and it's nowhere to be found.
  • I thought perhaps I have too many saves, so I tried to delete an old save, but that failed too.  No error, no nothing - I just click the delete button and nothing happens.

This is on Windows 10, has previously been consistently working with no issues.  I have plenty of disk space and I can my save folders just fine (so doesn't appear to be a sudden permissions issue).  I have 3 autosaves and 25 slots used.

It was working as recently as a couple of days ago, and no changes have been made since then.

Message 1 of 5 (2,952 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Newbie

Solved!  Ironically, I created this post after researching and testing everything under the sun, then right after this post, I figure it out. Figures. Standard smile

I'm going to share here in case someone else ever hits this problem.

BitDefender Ransomware Protection flagged DA2 as ransomware all of a sudden.  I usually get a pop-up notification when that happens, but this time it was blocked quietly in the background.  Once I spotted that, I added DA2 to trusted applications, and bam, I can save again.

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (3,280 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

Solved!  Ironically, I created this post after researching and testing everything under the sun, then right after this post, I figure it out. Figures. Standard smile

I'm going to share here in case someone else ever hits this problem.

BitDefender Ransomware Protection flagged DA2 as ransomware all of a sudden.  I usually get a pop-up notification when that happens, but this time it was blocked quietly in the background.  Once I spotted that, I added DA2 to trusted applications, and bam, I can save again.

Message 2 of 5 (3,281 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm coming back to finish DA2 after not playing since 2014 and I'm having this exact issue but I've checked my only active  AntiVirus (Comodo) and all DA2 files seem to be trusted applications as far as I can tell. I've also tried as many things as I could think of but still no success after a few hours of trying. 

Really hoping I can get this fixed, but after spending so long already, I'm almost considering just reinstalling on another computer and starting from scratch. Maker have mercy ='(

Message 3 of 5 (2,893 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Sorry this is super late and I'm guessing you've solved it by now, but I've had this same issue and it only worked when I added an exception to both my antivirus and windows firewall. Really strange how this happened out of the blue. 😅

Message 4 of 5 (640 Views)

@isklo666 

Because this is an old thread that's been inactive for 6 years, I am going to lock it to prevent necro-posting.

Feel free to create a new thread if you have a question.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 5 of 5 (619 Views)