Re: Odd administrator issue?

by EA_Zoe

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Odd administrator issue?

★★★ Newbie

I just installed Dragon Age II with no issues. However, when I try to play the game, it says I am not a system administrator (I am.) and that I need to be.

This is the error I get. http://i.imgur.com/sBEsCF4.png

Message 1 of 6 (965 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager (retired)

There is a topic on the BSN about this error message (see copy below). Let us know if that worked for you.

We believe this to be a result of WMI misconfiguration in a user's system. You can see if this is the case if your Windows is unable to see your system's hardware components (ie. processor, RAM, etc). You can verify if you are in this situation by doing the following: WinXP: 1) Right click on My Computer and click on Properties 2) Incorrect information will be displayed for your system's Processor and potentially other hardware components in the bottom right Win7/Vista 1) Go to the Control Panel 2) Click on System. 3) You should see something similar to this: http://i.imgur.com/HN86i.jpg If this is what you're seeing, your WMI configuration has been corrupted. As a result, Windows is unable to determine your Processor and other hardware components and therefore DA2 is unable to determine your hardware components during activation. To fix this, you will need to rebuild your WMI repository. I want to stress that this fix is not for users who are not running as Administrators. You must be logged in as an Administrator. In addition, if you are at all uncomfortable with the process of touching your system's WMI files, please wait for a more official fix. WinXP: Download the WMI Diagnosis Utility from Microsoft's site and execute the VBS script within. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=D7BA3CD6-18D1-4D05-B11E-4C64192AE97D Win7/Vista: 1) Open a Command Prompt (Windows Key + R, then enter 'cmd') 2) Within the command prompt, execute the following command: ' net stop winmgmt ' without quotations. 3) Rename your Repository folder (%SystemRoot%\System32\WBEM\Repository) just in case you wish to restore it. 4) Within the command prompt, execute the following command: 'winmgmt /salvagerepository' without quotations. 5) The above command will rebuild the repository if it is corrupted and then restart the WMI service. After your WMI repository has been rebuilt, please try and activate DA2. If you're still seeing the same symptoms, it could be that you're running on an older BIOS that needs to be updated. We've also had user reports of having to enter "c:\>net localgroup administrators NetworkService /ADD" in the command prompt as a final step. Another user reports that their winmgmt service was disabled. They were able to run msconfig and enable it, then start winmgmt from the command prompt, which finally fixed it for them.

(Source)

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (1,058 Views)

All Replies

There is a topic on the BSN about this error message (see copy below). Let us know if that worked for you.

We believe this to be a result of WMI misconfiguration in a user's system. You can see if this is the case if your Windows is unable to see your system's hardware components (ie. processor, RAM, etc). You can verify if you are in this situation by doing the following: WinXP: 1) Right click on My Computer and click on Properties 2) Incorrect information will be displayed for your system's Processor and potentially other hardware components in the bottom right Win7/Vista 1) Go to the Control Panel 2) Click on System. 3) You should see something similar to this: http://i.imgur.com/HN86i.jpg If this is what you're seeing, your WMI configuration has been corrupted. As a result, Windows is unable to determine your Processor and other hardware components and therefore DA2 is unable to determine your hardware components during activation. To fix this, you will need to rebuild your WMI repository. I want to stress that this fix is not for users who are not running as Administrators. You must be logged in as an Administrator. In addition, if you are at all uncomfortable with the process of touching your system's WMI files, please wait for a more official fix. WinXP: Download the WMI Diagnosis Utility from Microsoft's site and execute the VBS script within. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=D7BA3CD6-18D1-4D05-B11E-4C64192AE97D Win7/Vista: 1) Open a Command Prompt (Windows Key + R, then enter 'cmd') 2) Within the command prompt, execute the following command: ' net stop winmgmt ' without quotations. 3) Rename your Repository folder (%SystemRoot%\System32\WBEM\Repository) just in case you wish to restore it. 4) Within the command prompt, execute the following command: 'winmgmt /salvagerepository' without quotations. 5) The above command will rebuild the repository if it is corrupted and then restart the WMI service. After your WMI repository has been rebuilt, please try and activate DA2. If you're still seeing the same symptoms, it could be that you're running on an older BIOS that needs to be updated. We've also had user reports of having to enter "c:\>net localgroup administrators NetworkService /ADD" in the command prompt as a final step. Another user reports that their winmgmt service was disabled. They were able to run msconfig and enable it, then start winmgmt from the command prompt, which finally fixed it for them.

(Source)

Message 2 of 6 (1,059 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you so much! It works now.

Message 3 of 6 (945 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have windows 10.  I'm having the same issue.  But there's no fixes suggested for that.  I also can't put an icon on my computer as I had in the past with lower versions of Windows.  I did install the latest patch.  Origins/Awakening are working fine, but if I ask for an icon, I get the same thing.  I want to install the new things I bought, so I can play, but I can't even get past the "Play" window without an authenticator popping up, which totally blocks me.  I'm the only one allowed on this computer.  I'm the administrator, but I can't even get an icon for "run as administrator", because it thinks I'm not for some reason.

Message 4 of 6 (887 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Try running this script

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=7684

It seems to work on Win 10 b ut I am not having the same problems so 
I can't confirnm as a fix.

Should also work on vista, 7 and 8/8.1

Message 5 of 6 (753 Views)

Hi @chris081888, thanks for sharing . This is a pretty old thread so I'm not sure if anyone will come back to confirm it worked but I'm going to give you XP in the meantime. Standard smile 

Message 6 of 6 (741 Views)