Re: Dragon age 2 and bioware classics dlc givevaway ?

by ThandalNLyman

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dragon age 2 and bioware classics dlc givevaway ?

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

So I recently bought DA2 after finishing Dragon age origins and while searching for a way to buy the DLCs I found this link:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/download-dlc-for-classic-origin-games/

I was wondering if it was a DLC giveaway and tried the DLC installers on my Mass Effect Steam edition and they worked perfectly even though I didn't own the DLCs on my Steam version

I tried the dlc installers for Dragon age 2 but they didn't work as I expected because I NEVER BOUGHT THOSE DLCS

But the error message was strange : it said that dragon age 2 was not installed on my PC even though I bought and installed DA2 through Origin on the "C:/" drive

My question is : Is the error message linked to the fact i do not own the DLCs ( then the error message is weird ) , or is it different issue with my DA2 game ?

Message 1 of 10 (2,451 Views)

Accepted Solution

Way back when, DLC for ME2, DAO and DA2 were available through the Bioware website and also in some cases available through ingame access.  Some months ago, EA shut down these sites which made anyone who owned the DLC not have access to it, if they had to re-install the game.  You used to have to download the dlc, then go ingame to the DLC page or online account page and enter the email address of the account you had the DLC linked too.  Once you linked the game to your account, it would then authorize the DLC for use in your game. 

So EA put out this site for anyone who has steam or disk version, so they can now download the dlc they already own, and once logged into their account ingame, they can use their purchased dlc.  If you have Origin version then all the DLC are linked to your Origin account and you don't have to go through quite so many steps. 

So they aren't actually giving the dlc away, they are simply allowing those who already own it to use it....if this system allows a select few to use something they haven't purchased then I am pretty sure that is an oversite or just something they don't feel will cost them much since most people are now using Origin and such for these games or even not playing them....

When I moved my disk version of DA2 to origin, all my purchsed DLC were already there since I used the same account for Bioware and EA/Origin and thus it was a smooth move over for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View in thread

Message 10 of 10 (2,224 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Expert

The EA installers are set to look for the game's .exe file in the location(s) that an EA or retail disc install would have used.  Not a Steam one.  Nerd

Message 2 of 10 (2,417 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for answering quickly !

Well that's even stranger because the installers worked for my Steam version of Mass Effect but not for my Origin version of Dragon Age 2 Wondering

You're telling me that these installers only work for retail disc installs of DA2 or also for an origin digital install? ( I might have not understood correctly your answer Raised eyebrow )

Message 3 of 10 (2,410 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@maddenfannico; I guess what I meant was that:

a.  The Steam installation, the EA/Origin installation, the retail disc installation, and whether it's the "Ultimate Edition" of the game vs. not, all have slightly different default paths for both the game executable(s) and any DLC.  Later (DLC) installations expect things to be, or to be placed, in a "known" location.

b. The switch from BioWare's allowed installation mechanism(s), including Steam, to a "standardized" EA one occurred long after DAO's release, and has caused significant difficulties for both players and EA.  The work-arounds (like the one linked in your post above) help resolve most of them, but don't account for every case.

c.  One unintended consequences of some of those work-arounds is that the "entitlement verification checks" aren't always implemented correctly or completely.  Does this mean that one might (totally inadvertently, of course) commit piracy?  Errrmmmm... I'll let the lawyers argue that one.  Angel

Message 4 of 10 (2,387 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice
I never intended to commit piracy, I juste thought that the devs were giving to every "bioware classicis game " owner the DLCs if these games for free !

But my bad, if they are only for workarounds or things like that I'll leave them I don't want lawyers or Law issues XD
Message 5 of 10 (2,368 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Nobody is going to come after you for using links that obtain "legitimate" game materials.

The only time EA's lawyers would get involved is if you were publishing/distributing them.  Angel

Message 6 of 10 (2,326 Views)

★★ Novice

In the link it says that: "If you’re using Origin, download your bonus content or downloadable content (DLC) by clicking on the game tile in My Game Library and choosing Extra Content. Then choose your DLC and click Download."

But when you go there, they're charging Bioware points for those DLCs. I bought DA2 on Origin and i'm trying to retrieve those free DLCs but I can't because I bought it on Origin. Can someone help me?

Message 7 of 10 (1,886 Views)

@luisfmcastro

What free DLC are you talking about??  If you have the game on Origin, and you are logged into the same account that any DLC for it are available then it should have them listed as unlocked or installed.  You(I think you still do...) have to log into your Origin account ingame on the online tab on the main screen but once you have done so, all your allotted DLC should be installed and ready to play.  IF origin is asking for money for a DLC it is because it doesn't think you own it, or you own it on another account....so please be specific on which DLC you are trying to get, and what is going on when you try to get it....

As a side note, there is now a DA2 DLC bundle which gives you ALL(paid ones at least) DLC for about 20-25 dollars....

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 8 of 10 (1,876 Views)

★★ Novice

@mcsupersport All Dragon age DLCs (Origins and II) and DLCs from some other classic Origin games are available for free download in this link: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/download-dlc-for-classic-origin-games

After some hours trying, i finally made it work somehow, and now I can play the DLCs, but they're not vinculated to my Origin account. Now when I try to play the game through Origin it won't open, but if I acess it through my Local disk (CStandard smile it works with all DLCs installed. According to the link, this downloadable DLCs are for steam and game disk users, and who bought the game through Origin it says they are avaiable by clicking on the game tile in My Game Library and choosing Extra Content, but they're not. 

My english it's not very good, but if you open the link I think you'll get it. 

Message 9 of 10 (1,868 Views)

Way back when, DLC for ME2, DAO and DA2 were available through the Bioware website and also in some cases available through ingame access.  Some months ago, EA shut down these sites which made anyone who owned the DLC not have access to it, if they had to re-install the game.  You used to have to download the dlc, then go ingame to the DLC page or online account page and enter the email address of the account you had the DLC linked too.  Once you linked the game to your account, it would then authorize the DLC for use in your game. 

So EA put out this site for anyone who has steam or disk version, so they can now download the dlc they already own, and once logged into their account ingame, they can use their purchased dlc.  If you have Origin version then all the DLC are linked to your Origin account and you don't have to go through quite so many steps. 

So they aren't actually giving the dlc away, they are simply allowing those who already own it to use it....if this system allows a select few to use something they haven't purchased then I am pretty sure that is an oversite or just something they don't feel will cost them much since most people are now using Origin and such for these games or even not playing them....

When I moved my disk version of DA2 to origin, all my purchsed DLC were already there since I used the same account for Bioware and EA/Origin and thus it was a smooth move over for me.

Message 10 of 10 (2,225 Views)