Re: Dragon Age 2 won't start

by XxCarysLouXx

Original Post

★★★★ Novice

I've carefully tested each of the solutions presented in the thread without finding a solution, sadly. EA support seems to think the issue is related to DEP though running the game on a adminstrator account with it shot of through both commands via the command promt and elective boot (only windows services) and still no reaction from the game after the release day checker has run its course.

I've been unable to replicate the issue with any other game I own be they Origin, Steam or otherwise.

Message 21 of 29 (3,874 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Since I am getting no sense of recognition from the word "DEP", my best guess is it is part of Windows 8, for which ME-2 wasn't designed.

Message 22 of 29 (3,873 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

DEP is "Data Execution Protection".  Been in a component of Windows since WinXP (SP2). 

Got nothing to do with a problem running DA2 (unless dealing with an incomplete or illegal install.)

Message 23 of 29 (3,870 Views)

★★★★ Novice

My Mass Effect 1 through 3 works without any issues in Origin. Further my problem was the same wheter I ran Dragon Age II in windows 7 or 8.

Thandalnyman: You can check the youtube video I uploaded which clearly showed I launch Dragon Age II from Origin so unless I've learned to perfectly replicate the Origin client it's probably because I own the game. I've also reinstalled the game more than a dozen times without any luck. It's simply a theory that the EA support line is following, if anybody has any ideas as to what might fix the issue I'm all ears.

Message 24 of 29 (3,865 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I keep getting this error message and when i try to install the patch it says please install dragon age 2

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: DragonAge2.exe
Application Version: 1.4.8524.0
Application Timestamp: 4f1e9fb5
Fault Module Name: nvwgf2um.dll
Fault Module Version: 9.18.13.3165
Fault Module Timestamp: 52676afa
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00481088
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Message 25 of 29 (3,532 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

This probelm has recently started for me as well..

Da2 was running fine until i tried to play the DLC 'Mark of the Assassin' then it would freeze.. i tried to fix that by downloading the newest version of DA2 from the official site previously mentioned in this forum (will link at later time when i get back to it) and after that my DA2 wouldnt start.. no error message or anything

edit: i looked at my game in the program files and say the launcher outside of any file within the dragon age 2 file when i clicked on it it said couldnt find launcher.. did some looking and found out the update updated my game but my launcher wasnt so it wouldnt start.. simply uninstall and re-downloading from origin fixed this for me.. hope this helps

Message 26 of 29 (3,120 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks. Glad that I am not the only one having this issue. After trying most of the other things listed, I guess I will reeinstall the game and try again. Good way to waste a few hours when you are bored. Was almost hoping it was a hardware issue. Kinda been looking for a reason to start a new build. Wink

Message 27 of 29 (3,035 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@silentlinkMIT338 wrote:
<snip>

edit: i looked at my game in the program files and say the launcher outside of any file within the dragon age 2 file when i clicked on it it said couldnt find launcher.. did some looking and found out the update updated my game but my launcher wasnt so it wouldnt start.. simply uninstall and re-downloading from origin fixed this for me.. hope this helps

^^ THIS ^^ is the correct solution.

The "Launcher" was removed from the EA/Origin download versions of both the DA-series and the ME-series games.

Using the "Repair" option from within EA/Origin should fix this. If not, a complete un-/re-install may be the only way.

(I just had to do the full 24+ GB download and install of DA/UE when I changed computers, so I know what a hassle that is.)

Message 28 of 29 (3,031 Views)

★ Novice

I've just reinstalled my dragon age 2 game. I was then asked to do a release date check but nothing happens it just comes up with a error message.

Can someone help me.

Message 29 of 29 (1,386 Views)