Dragon Age 2 has "stopped working"

by knockedrail

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dragon Age 2 has "stopped working"

★★★ Newbie

Hi, I realize that there are many other forum threads dedicated to this issue, but I can't seem to find a solution that works for me.

Every time I start up Dragon Age II, immediately I am given an error message saying that the game has stopped working and that Windows needs to close the program. I don't even get to the start menu, literally just the opening banner for the game.

I'm running Windows 10, but if other specs are needed to help me fix this issue I would be more than happy to provide them.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Message 1 of 16 (6,268 Views)

Accepted Solution

Betreff: Dragon Age 2 has "stopped working"

[ Edited ]

@beeeffache

No, don't get rid of them, it's normal, but when did you installed Dragon Age 2 for the first time?

@installation

A new installation might be the best course of action anyway. Run Steam as Administrator this time.

Please let us know how it goes.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 12 of 16 (6,406 Views)

All Replies

Hi @knockedrail

Did you tried the solution from this thread?

If so, or if it still don't work, create a DxDiag, also go to your Reliability monitor (Press the windows key and "R" at the same time and copy or type "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) in > ENTER) and look if it has Dragon Age 2 entries.

If yes double click at the last one, copy it to the clipboard, (Bottom left corner) save it to a text file and load it up like the DxDiag.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 2 of 16 (6,248 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

HI @holger1405! Thanks for trying to help me!!

I've found 3 listings of Dragon Age II when I look at the reports, and I've copied it to my clip board, but what did you mean when you said load it up like the DxDiag?

Message 3 of 16 (6,239 Views)

@knockedrail

In the reply window at the bottom right corner is a button, there you can upload the Dxdiag and the RM text file.

Message 4 of 16 (6,237 Views)

Re: Dragon Age 2 has "stopped working"

★ Apprentice

Hi! Try this to solve your problems:

1. Set compatible mode with Windows 7 in propeties of executable file;

2. Run "DragonAge2Config.exe" in "bin_ship" and change DirectX 11 to 9.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 16 (6,120 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi Holger,

I'm having the same (similar?) problem to OP, and I've gone through all the suggested solutions and still no dice.

I've uploaded a DxDiag and performance monitor report. I'm playing on Steam, if that helps at all.

I haven't run DA2 on this computer before... What can I do?

Message 6 of 16 (6,007 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi @beeeffache

Go to your ">drive<":\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dragon Age II\redist" folder and run the "vcredist.exe" or "*.msi" > reboot > test.

If that don't helps download both packages of the Visual Studio 2008 (VC++ 9.0) SP1.

Install the first > reboot > install the second > reboot >  test.

Message 7 of 16 (6,001 Views)

★★ Novice

repairing vcredist, then rebooting, and then testing did not work.

downloaded both VC++ 2008's and tried to install the first one and got this error message

"A compatible version of Visual Studio 2008 was not detected on the system. This update is designed for only the Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (ENU) product family, and is not compatible with any Express editions."

The first file was only 535kb. What have I missed? Doesn't seem like the whole program

(thank you for taking the time!)

Message 8 of 16 (5,997 Views)

@beeeffache

@beeeffache wrote:

downloaded both VC++ 2008's and tried to install the first one and got this error message

"A compatible version of Visual Studio 2008 was not detected on the system. This update is designed for only the Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (ENU) product family, and is not compatible with any Express editions."

The first file was only 535kb. What have I missed? Doesn't seem like the whole program

(thank you for taking the time!)

It's a web installer.

Please go to your Windows control panel > "Programs and Features" and look which "Microsoft Visual C++" packages are installed. 

Message 9 of 16 (5,990 Views)

★★ Novice

Picture attached. I'm very confused at this point. Any of these I should get rid of? I seem to have a lot of them...

Message 10 of 16 (5,975 Views)