Re: Dragon Age 2 Failing to start due to lack of ssleay32.dll

by SamuelPulley

Original Post

Dragon Age 2 Failing to start due to lack of ssleay32.dll

★★★ Newbie

Recently just bought Dragon Age 2 off of Origin. Currently only have Black Emporium and the Free content also offered. Any attempt to actually start the game fails. I tried reinstalling 3-4 times and it hasn't worked (Also tried repairing installs and checking updates). Went in and was told that I was missing ssleay32.dll. How do I go about acquiring this?

Message 1 of 9 (3,536 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

What you should not do: Download the file from somewhere on the net. That can always be a security risk.

The ssleay32.dll comes with your Windows OS and therefore you should automatically get it with a clean Windows install. Before you do that, try this:

• Right-click on the game icon in your Origin client and select the "Repair Install" option. (I guess you already did that.)
  • Update all your drivers to the latest version.
  • Install all available Windows updates.

If that does not work, run the sfc /scannow System File Checker command to replace a missing or corrupt copy of the ssleay32.dll file. This is how you do that:

Open the cmd.exe as administrator by right-clicking on it:

cmd.png

Type in the system file checker command sfc /scannow and hit enter. After that the scan will begin. This can take about 5-15 minutes. Be patient. Confusedmileywink:

You should get a notification if files were repaired. If you get that notification, please restart your computer after the scan has finished.

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png
Message 2 of 9 (3,485 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I know this is an old topic, but it's actually one that I had to go through today. Researching how to fix ssleay32.dll lead me to no where. I tried the sfc /scannow command in cmd prompt and returns no results/errors. I scanned my system for any viruses and it's clean. I checked the folders for the file and in fact the file was indeed available NOT missing. So something was throwing the game off to start. I remembered that in the same folder where you install Dragon Age II there is a configuration utility that lets you somewhat modify the settings the game uses for example the video, audio, and so forth. Very limited but I found the issue to be in there and tested it to confirm.

In my case I clicked on the shortcut the game installed on my desktop and [windows 7] I right clicked to give me options. I then clicked on Open File Location. In the folder double click on "DragonAge2Config" in doing so will open up the configuration utility. Look at the left column and click on "Video" [it's right under WELCOME]. Now on the list on the right side there is several options. The one that fixed it for me was near the end called "Renderer" which in my case by default set to "DirectX 11 (if available)" so when loading the game is trying to use the DirectX 11 which in my case my video card [laptop] doesn't support version 11. So in doing so it's causing issues loading the game.

What worked and I confirmed this by changing it back and forth and reloading the game to test it.

I changed "Renderer" to DirectX 9 then I clicked on the top area where it says "Dragon Age II" in between File and System. I then clicked "Save Dragon Age II Settings" closed it and then opened the game from the desktop.

In having it set to DirectX 9 the game loaded perfectly.

In changing or leaving it DirectX 11 (if available) it gave me the "ssleay32.dll missing" error.

I just wanted to report this even though it's an old topic but it's relevant and it will help other users to fixing a simple problem.

And yes I've done my research and I have yet to find a topic that shows this step. Had to find it myself.

Enjoy! and post if this worked for you.

Thank You and Enjoy the game it's actually really fun and interesting.

Message 3 of 9 (3,380 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you rolteje.  Went through the exact process you went through and tried your fix and it worked perfectly.

Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.

Message 4 of 9 (3,369 Views)

★ Novice

I was having the same exact problems and did as you said and it worked perfectly. Thank you so much!

Message 5 of 9 (3,343 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thank you rolteje8624!

I almost went towards reinstalling Windows. Your post stopped me from doing that.

Now I can play the game, no problem. Confusedmileylol:

Message 6 of 9 (3,045 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Changing the setting to directx9 worked for me... Thank you soo much 

Message 7 of 9 (2,746 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Genius! Thanks so much buddy!

Message 8 of 9 (2,295 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
Thank you for letting everyone know it has worked for you all. I dont believe this is a dying topic as every game that I have come across has some type of game config utility in thr game folder you just have to find out where it is and what to look for.

If that type of scenario didnt work then updating your video card drivers would have worked but at times video drivers arent updated as much so thats a hit or miss solution but helps nonetheless.

Also forgot to mention that I agree with the first post of avoid getting the file in other sites as many contain viruses which can cause more harm then good. If you choose to do so that is at your own risk of course. I dont believe in having to reinstall your OS for something like a missing file. If its a missing system file thats a so called core file then you would have already had issues with your computer beforehand logically plus depending on the cd you use may not even have the file to install it even on a clean install again so even that is a shot in the dark and tedious task. So ask wait a couple weeks for answer then do as needed so you can give everyone a chance to reply or find you a proper solution.
Message 9 of 9 (2,162 Views)