Re: Dragon Age 2 Crashing problem 2017

by Pagliaccio76

Original Post

Dragon Age 2 Crashing problem 2017

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I had just recently bought Dragon Age 2 in Origin and the game started without a problem. I got to play barely 30 minutes when the screen suddenly freezes and then the game just crashes to the desktop with the message "Dragon Age 2 has stopped working". This happens every time I try to play the game and if I try to launch the game without rebooting my computer, the game crashes after 10 minutes I've started playing. I've tried to play with both the Directx11 and Directx9, I play on compatibility mode (Windows 7, I have Windows 10 installed), I tired to lower the graphics settings, play on screen mode, turned off the auto-save, even updating the graphics card didn't help! My computer is a MSI GL62 6QF laptop that I bought last summer and it fulfills all the requirements to play Dragon Age 2. This is upsetting because my other games work just fine without crashing. Also all the other forums about the problem are all from 2011 and most of them complained about the game crashing on launch but I don't have that problem. I was hoping someone could help me with my problem.

Message 1 of 10 (10,142 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks for the post. Can you post your dxdiag, it might help to show some red flags: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

It may also help to check your reliability monitor for crash reports: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722107(v=ws.10).aspx

The next thing I'd like to see is if you run any temperature monitoring software. I can't see why DAII would be causing temperature issues when other games don't, but it's something worth discounting at least. 

Thanks. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 10 (10,106 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for your reply. Firstly, I added the dxdiag file.I hope it helps with finding the problem. I also checked the reliability monitor for crash reports but couldn't find any solutions to fix them. I am certain that the temperature isn't the problem here. My laptop has a built-in cooling fan which I rarely need even if I'm running programs that are much heavier than DAII (I can play Skyrim for example without any crashing). However there seems to be no signs of overheating or such regarding my laptop.

Message 3 of 10 (10,091 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks for the upate. Yeah overheating on a laptop is usually pretty easy to notice, it'll usually sound like it's a plane about to take off. 

Nothing immediately jumps out on the dxdiag. I assume you're using the discrete 960m card. If for some reason the game was using the onboard graphics chipset it'd likely be pretty obvious, even for a relatively old game like DAII. 

Just so I'm clear, were there reports in the reliability monitor for the crash?

As for trying things that may help, the next time you go to play can you restart with a Clean Boot first? Then play without turning on any 3rd party programs, and see if this has any effect.

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 10 (10,076 Views)

★★ Novice

I am having the exact same issue, except I do not play on a laptop. I've tried everything from reducing the graphics settings to a minimum to running without Origin running to using the repair option to doing a full reinstall. No idea what's doing it, and it's terribly frustrating.

Message 5 of 10 (10,032 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm experiencing the same issue. I've tried a clean install and still can't run the game.

Message 6 of 10 (8,877 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

For those having this problem when playing on a laptop, one of the most common issues is that the machine is defaulting to the Intel HD gpu, rather than the separate video card. 

For nVidia cards, check the settings in the nVidia control panel.  For any others, check the manufacturer's info or the BIOS.

Message 7 of 10 (8,858 Views)

★★★ Novice

Check which settings in the nVidia control panel?

Message 8 of 10 (8,488 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@JRT155; The one for which GPU to use by default.

Message 9 of 10 (8,383 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I was playing in full screen just fine. Then installed DLC weapons pack, and started getting the crashing and windows minimizing. I fixed this by unchecking the box for full screen.

Message 10 of 10 (7,321 Views)