Dragon Age 2 - Buy the DLC or are they given freely ?

by Kabouka

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dragon Age 2 - Buy the DLC or are they given freely ?

★ Novice

So I have this dumb question.

Yesterday I discovered this page on the EA-Help website, where you can download every DLC you need for DA 1&2 and Mass Effect 1&2. I own ME1 on Steam, so I tried the download link for Bring Down the Sky and installed it. It works pretty well, and so basically I was freely given a DLC that would have cost me money/Bioware points some years ago. I have to say that I'm very grateful for it, for I was afraid that after 10 years there wouldn't be any support left.

So I thought, basically, if it works for my ME1 copy and I get the DLC for free, it will be the same for the others games on this download page. I own ME2 on Steam and DA:O on DVD, haven't tried it yet cause they're currently not installed on my PC and I do not plan to play them now.

But I own DA2 on Origin, so I though "if they give free DLCs, it surely has to be for everyone". But when I tried to download the "mark of the assassin" DLC, the setup tells me that DA2 isn't installed (although it is, with Origin). And I still have the option on my Origin account to buy Mark of The Assassin for 800 Bioware points. Does that mean the DLC are free for everyone except Origin users ? Or am I missing something ?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6 (8,878 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Dragon Age 2 - Buy the DLC or are they given freely ?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Several years ago BDtS was made freely available to all who purchased ME1.  I'm not aware of any other DLC for the ME-series that was.

Similarly some of the "item" DLC for DA-series was made freely available, but none of the "story" ones.

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (10,748 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Several years ago BDtS was made freely available to all who purchased ME1.  I'm not aware of any other DLC for the ME-series that was.

Similarly some of the "item" DLC for DA-series was made freely available, but none of the "story" ones.

Message 2 of 6 (10,749 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Thanks, guess my hopes were too high but ... then again, I understand. They still sell the games of course, so selling the DLC's isn't absurd. I just felt very excited about this page and how I suddenly believed it was already Christmas !

EDIT : I've tried with Witch Hunt (DA:O story DLC) and it works perfectly fine. Guess it's only for ME1 and DA:O. Just saying if anyone else here has had the same questions than me.

Message 3 of 6 (8,834 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I'm not sure what's going on with Witch Hunt but officially it isn't free and is still meant to be a paid DLC.

The DLC on that page that are officially free are:

Dragon Age Origins:

The Stone Prisoner

Dragon Age II:

The Black Emporium

Mass Effect:

Bring Down The Sky

Pinnacle Station

Mass Effect 2:

Firewalker Pack

Zaeed - The Price of Revenge

Cerberus Weapon and Armor

Normandy Crash Site

Cerberus Arc Projector

There are actually more free DLC for this which can be obtained via the Origin client for PC or via the in-game menu on the Xbox (not sure about PlayStation 3). They are:

Recon Hood

Sentry Interface

Umbra Visor

Blood Dragon Armor

Terminus Weapon and Armor

Need For Speed Shift 2 - Unleashed:

Speedhunters and Legends Pack

Everything else on that page is still meant to be paid DLC.

Message 4 of 6 (8,610 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
It's been so long since I had to check into the subject, I hadn't realized they made TSP free-to-download. Good job. Everyone who plays DAO should be able to meet Shale!
Message 5 of 6 (8,604 Views)

Hero

@ThandalNLyman wrote:
It's been so long since I had to check into the subject, I hadn't realized they made TSP free-to-download. Good job. Everyone who plays DAO should be able to meet Shale!

I think they may have done that around the time EA got rid of the "Online Pass" for all their games. Shale and Cerberus Network were the equivalents for BioWare and were made available for everyone.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 6 of 6 (8,586 Views)