Can't Talk To NPCs (Meeran & Athenril Bug?) - Mac / Origin

by AliCatMrrreow

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't Talk To NPCs (Meeran & Athenril Bug?) - Mac / Origin

★★★ Novice

Just started the game and I'm still stuck on the "The Destruction of Lothering" quest because the chat bubble doesn't appear when I approach NPCs.

I'm supposed to engage Meeran or Athenril in order to move forward in the game but I cannot engage them or prompt them into conversation by any means.

I'm on a Mac and I'm using Origin.

I've tried repairing the game already. It did not work. Same issue as before.

I looked into the controls / assigned buttons and do not see an issue there either. I had no issue with engaging in combat prior, but it just doesn't work to chat NPCs up.

I also tried adjusting the resolution and toggled windowed vs. full-screen. Nada. None of it works.

Message 1 of 4 (1,196 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't Talk To NPCs (Meeran & Athenril Bug?) - Mac / Origin

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Doh!

I figured it out. Apparently on a Mac - if you don't have a mouse and are just using the track pad - you have to click Command Button + click (or whatever the action button is)  instead of just clicking. On a mouse, it's the right click.

View in thread

Message 3 of 4 (1,688 Views)

All Replies

Hero

Some people have also reported this issue on other platforms, such as Xbox 360. In that case the characters are "stuck" and you may be able to fix them by reloading your last save or leaving the area and coming back. However, leaving the area is not an option for you at this point in the game, so I think you may have to try again from the start.

Could you start a new playthrough and try to talk to any of the characters you meet in the intro? You should be able to interact with some of the characters following you, even if it doesn't trigger a full conversation.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 4 (1,178 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Doh!

I figured it out. Apparently on a Mac - if you don't have a mouse and are just using the track pad - you have to click Command Button + click (or whatever the action button is)  instead of just clicking. On a mouse, it's the right click.

Message 3 of 4 (1,689 Views)

Hero

@AliCatMrrreow What happens if you click with two fingers? That counts as right click on my work laptop (Macbook Air).

In Dragon Age II you can also use the R key to perform an action. It's used to loot, talk to NPCs, attack enemies,... This was dubbed the "awesome button" during the game's promotion.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 4 (1,147 Views)