[Old Report] DEAD SPACE 2 RELEASE DATE CHECK LAUNCH FAILURE

by TheDieguscus

Original Post

Re: DEAD SPACE 2 RELEASE DATE CHECK LAUNCH FAILURE

Community Manager

I know this is basic but is your date set correctly in Windows 8?

Barry.

barry.png
Message 11 of 84 (8,062 Views)

★ Novice

Same issue on a windows 7 system

Step 1 ::  Install game from CD, Run -> time server. Then nothing. go to the game directory and the exe files are deleted.

Step 2:: UnInstall

Step 3:: Download and install from Origin. -> Time Server Check -> Nothing.. once again, check install dir. exe files are gone.

Step 4::Uninstall.

Step 5:: Ok maybe I had a bad download, try step 3 again. same results.

Step 6:: Look for other issues, check Antivirus vault for the missing EXE files. verify firewall is not blocking anything. 

Step 7:: Uninstall, Turn off AntiVirus, download and reinstall Origin, run as admin. download , install, run, Scream.. same results. 

Message 12 of 84 (8,057 Views)

Community Manager

Please try these steps, previously posted by eaursula.

There are three things you can try when you have problems launching the game:

1. Deactivate your anti-virus program

Sometimes the anti-virus is blocking the game from launching. You can check if an anti-virus is blocking it by turning off that program and launching the game again. AVG is a common one that will block the game, disabling or uninstalling it should allow the game to play. After the game does launch you should be able to re-start or re-install your anti-virus program and it should no longer interfere with the game.

2. Delete the game's Settings file

1. Double-click on the My Computer icon from your Windows desktop or Start menu.
  2. Double-click on your Local Disk (usually C:).
  3. Double-click Program Files.
  4. Double-click on Electronic Arts.
  5. Double-click on Dead Space.
  6. Delete the file settings.txt.

Be sure to enable the option View hidden files and folders. Otherwise, you may not be able to find the settings.txt file. To do this or ensure your viewing setting is turned on, follow the steps below:

1. Double-click on the My Computer icon from your Windows desktop or Start Menu.
  2. From the toolbar, select Tools and then select Folder Options.
  3. Select the View tab and then select the option Show hidden files and folders, which is located in the Advanced Settings section.
  4. Select Apply and then select OK at the bottom of the dialog box.

3. Start your computer in safe mode

If you do not have an anti-virus, or have confirmed it is not causing the issue, and if deleting the settings file did not help, starting your computer in safe mode (with networking) might solve the issue. To do that follow the steps below:

XP:

1. Bring up the run box (press Windows Key + R) and type in "msconfig".
  2. Go to the Boot.INI Tab.
  3. Check the "/SAFEBOOT" box.
  4. Select "NETWORK" to the right of "/SAFEBOOT".
  5. Press "OK".
  6. It should prompt you to restart, do so. (if not, restart anyway)

Vista/7

2. Go to the Boot Tab.
  3. Check the "Safe boot" box.
  4. Select "Network" underneath "Safe boot".
  5. Press "Apply" then "OK".
  6. It should prompt you to restart, do so. (if not, restart anyway)

Once your computer restarts it will be in safe mode, meaning minimal systems will be running. Your background will most likely appear black and other features may seem different, do not worry, this is normal. Once it has started up, launch Dead Space 2 again. The game will try to start, however this time you should get a message afterwards that the game could not start up, it crashed, or drivers are missing. Again, do not worry, this is what is supposed to happen.

You now need to restart your computer normally. To ensure that Safe mode was turned off simply undo the process from before:

XP:

2. Go to the Boot.INI Tab.
  3. Uncheck the "/SAFEBOOT" box.
  4. Press "OK".
  5. It should prompt you to restart, do so. (if not, restart anyway)

Vista/7

2. Go to the Boot Tab.
  3. Uncheck the "Safe boot" box.
  4. Press "Apply" then "OK".
  5. It should prompt you to restart, do so. (if not, restart anyway)

Once your computer comes back up, everything should be back to normal. Launch Dead Space 2 and it should launch and play normally.

Please let us know if one of these methods worked for you.

Barry.

barry.png
Message 13 of 84 (8,043 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I have the same problem. The anti-virus is not the problem. I had played the game in the past without error. I decided I wanted to finish the game since I got Dead Space 3 in the Humble Bundle. When I go to launch the game the exe disappears and my game redownloads. I figured that I must have accidently uninstalled it, but it seemed odd since I had never finished it. I generally won't uninstall a game until I have finished it. I go to boot it up and the release date check comes up for a few seconds then disappears. My exe then seemingly corrupts and if I click the game in Origin it just says to download again. I backed up the exe and whenever I replace it I get the same release date failure.

The settings file you mentioned does not even exist on my computer.  My C: drive is my SSD for OS and a few apps, and my F: drive has the majority of programs on it.  Neither has a root Electronic Arts directory with a Dead Space folder.

Launching into safe mode fixed it for one execute.  The release date checker will pass, and the game will fail since the drivers are not active due to safe mode.  Restart your PC and let it boot up normally.  Run the exe and it should end up working.  However, after I closed the game I got the same loop when I tried to run it again.

Message 14 of 84 (8,029 Views)

★ Novice

Same issue.

waited over a hour to chat with someone online, who kept asking me to click on files that i had already explained were deleted. needless to say, that rep was of no help at all. 

wated a hour and a half to speak with someone on the phone. much better experence but no solution. 

I have installed and uninstlled the game i dont know how many times. installed from both onlilne and DVD.

in safe mode i got a error that date check failed.

reboot in normal mode it came up and deleted my files again

Message 15 of 84 (7,792 Views)

Community Manager

It is possible your anti-virus or firewall is causing this issue. Please use the appropriate link below for information on how to boot your computer in Safe Mode with Networking. Please retry while booted in this mode.

Windows 8: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Windows Vista: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Windows XP: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx?mf...

Barry.

barry.png
Message 16 of 84 (7,785 Views)

Dead Space 2 Activations

★★★ Newbie

i've bought a dead space 2 copy from 'playstore', the game platform of turkey's main isp. i will tell my problem part by part, here we go..

the isp gave me tiny download client. i downloaded the game, i failed at registering (i think). origin gave that famous 'redeeming code unavailable' message. After several tryings, i bored and deleted the downloaded content.
Day before yesterday, i decided to give it a try again. this time tried to download from origin, redeem was successful and download process started. i left it at to dload at night, went to bed. when i woke up i looked at origin, game was downloaded, looked like ready to play but there was that message on the screen. i dismissed it, turned off pc and went to work. yesterday afternoon i tried to start game, a 'release date check' thing poped up. i confirmed it but game didn't start. i closed window, then opened again and shockingly saw that all game contents deleted by itself. opened origin and game had 'new' brand; and it says 'download' instead 'play'. i started download again, but at a point of process; our beloved message poped up again. But process was resuming. i turned off pc last night, probably will resume this afternoon.
but i don't think i'll manage to play it. What am i supposed to do now? maybe i follow steps in false order, you can even call me 'retarded', but i'm open to any suggestions, juts want to play this game. and of course i don't want to run out of 5 installations even without playing.

i have intel hd family, i know it zuks but surprisingly can handle it.

i hope i could tell properly. english is not my main language, (actually i learned it from videogames), so sorry for any mistakes..

Message 17 of 84 (7,787 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Now let me keep this short. found the issue, on my system at least.

did everything in the forums. spent over 3 hours on hold with tech support.

tried everything, including turnning off the AV, FW, safe mode , manual uninstall.

the issue is Avast on my system, you may find it is another antivirus program.

If you right click in the Avast icon in the system try, turn off Game mode you will get a warning when you try to play the game. 

Win32:Evo-Gen Virus Suspected.

With luck, EA is not trying to enfect the world and this is a false alarm......

download but dont run Dead Space 2

open Avast user interface.

go to settings on the top right.

go to Global Exclusions

Browse and select the Dead Space 2 Folder

Save and run the game, it will once again give you the Date check. but this time it will not delete the files and will run.

Message 18 of 84 (7,780 Views)

Dead Space 2: Release date check error

★ Novice

I just bought Dead space 2 (disk copy) off Ebay 2 days ago. It is the EA classics release of Dead space 2. It installed quickly but after doing and finishing the installation I went to play it but it came up with this ''Release date check'' I accept the application and it runs for half a second showing that it got to 30% but then just tells me that an error occurred. Now I've gone through the internet and tried all the fixes I was shown but none of them have worked so I was hoping that someone could tell me how to get past this bloody error as its driving me mad. Please get back to me ASAP.

Message 19 of 84 (7,754 Views)

Dead space 2: Release date check question.

★ Novice

Well I still got the error after trying all the fixes but I clicked retry a load of times and then it started the check without any errors but it doesnt seem to be doing anything so that my question. How long is that rerlease date check program ment to take ?

Message 20 of 84 (7,748 Views)