unable to start game

by Jamescooper23

Original Post

Accepted Solution

unable to start game

★ Apprentice

hi there I'm currently no able to get past the "press any key to continue" screen, I've tried everything detailed here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dead-Space-3/dead-space-3-crash/td-p/5875511/highlight/true

(when trying - http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dead-Space-3/Dead-Space-3-starts-then-minimizes/m-p/1454786#M8275 there is no txt files there for me to edit)

(when trying - http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dead-Space-3/Dead-Space-3-starts-then-minimizes/m-p/1454786#M8275 i unplugged everything I could i.e unplugged everything bar mouse, then unplugged everything bar 360 controller both times it still failed at the same point)

(when trying - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833 it found no issues)

(when trying - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 no services/start-ups were causing issuses, still failed at same point upon clean boot)

I've repaired the game through origin, tried reinstalling it to a different drive, re-installed the latest graphics drivers (also preformed a clean install of the newest ones just released), tried launching the game with SLI disabled

system specs:

gtx1080 founders edition

gtx1080 MSI gaming x edition

intel i7-6700k 4GHz

16GB DDR4 ram

sabertooth z170 mark 1 motherboard

WIN 10 PRO

this is the report from the windows reliability monitor

Description
Faulting Application Path: J:\origin games\Dead Space 3\deadspace3.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: deadspace3.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.1
Application Timestamp: 511e9327
Fault Module Name: deadspace3.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 511e9327
Exception Offset: 007826e4
Exception Code: c0000417
Exception Data: 00000000
OS Version: 10.0.14393.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a08
Additional Information 2: 0a0895a5d5a4ff14cd858f8a6f8f1cba
Additional Information 3: 4b16
Additional Information 4: 4b16b9fc9ddadd5a8dbd0e6582fad638

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 9d9d1c2e0778783ef966387932423be4 (-765510543)

any help would be appeciated, honestly not sure what to try next

Message 1 of 25 (4,292 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: unable to start game

★★★ Novice

FIXED!!

After exactly 24 hours of trouble shooting, I have solved the problem.  The work around is super simple and takes no more than 5 minutes.  I was able to play this game about a year ago, and when I recently tried I got the SAME EXACT ERROR.

SOLUTION: 1 . Create new user account (make it an administrator just like your main account)

2. Run Dead Space 3 in that new user account

3. Have fun finally, without wasting anymore precious spare time.

There is some kind of permission error or policy conflict that is probably the root of the issue.  The user account that I was using, and most likely just like you, possibly has a corrupt file or permission conflict in the saved games location.  Despite trying to manually change the permissions, the game would crash right as it said "please wait, searching for saved games"  and the "program stopped" error would come up.

Message to EA:   A lot of people are suffering from this issue. with no definitive solution posted online anywhere.   I hope this can help more than just a few people.

View in thread

Message 21 of 25 (4,882 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Jamescooper23

Can you disable SLI and then right click and run the following as an Administrator:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dead Space 3\__Installer\vc\vc2010sp1\redist\vcredist_x86.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dead Space 3\__Installer\directx\redist\DXSETUP.exe

Also, make sure your Windows User account has Admin. privileges and you are running Origin as an Admin.:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-do-i-run-a-program-or-a-game-as-an-administrator/

barry.png
Message 2 of 25 (4,253 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@EA_Barry

unfortunately still the same error, SLI has been disabled, I ran the apps below as admin, they both completed successfully, it's only my account on my PC so it's an admin (i did double check just to make sure) and I ran origin as admin,

it still just gets to the press any button to continue screen, then when I press any key the game crashes.

it says please wait, checking for saved games then it crashes with the application not responding message

Message 3 of 25 (4,243 Views)

Community Manager

@Jamescooper23

Please right click the game in Origin and then click on Game Properties, uncheck 'Enable Origin in Game', Click on Cloud Saves, uncheck 'Enable cloud saves for all supported games', click the Save button. Retry and let us know if these steps help you, thanks.

barry.png
Message 4 of 25 (4,215 Views)

★ Apprentice

@EA_Barry

both boxes were already unchecked. so still the same issue, I tried launching with them enabled and then with them disabled again and still the same issue

since it was crashing with the checking for saved games screen, I deleted an old save that was on my computer (from 8/7/15), relaunched and still the same issue, I tried downloading a save online and launching with that, but again still the same issue, thanks

Message 5 of 25 (4,210 Views)

Community Manager

@Jamescooper23

Can you let us know if running the game in compatibility mode for a previous version of windows helps:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/15078/windows-make-older-programs-compatible

Generally when people run a system in SLI or XFire they use identical cards, can I ask you to post your Dxdiag report here so we can take a look? Often there is info in that report that can be helpful in cases like this. Sorry this whole process is going on so long.

Thanks again.

barry.png
Message 6 of 25 (4,199 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@EA_Barry

just tried running it in compatibility mode for everything from vista through to win8 (vista, vista sp1, vista sp2, win7, win8) and still getting to the same point and crashing each time.

attached is the DxDiag report for my PC

I was planning on getting an identical card for SLI, but when I came to buy the second card, I couldn't find another founders edition

I don't have any issues with other games in SLI as it just downclocks the more powerful card to match the lower one when running in an SLI setup

don't worry about how long it's taking, I'm just happy that you've taken the time to help me out with a game that's a good few years old now, and I knew this wasn't gonna be a simple 5minute fix

Message 7 of 25 (4,192 Views)

Community Manager

@Jamescooper23

Thanks for your Dxdiag, nothing really jumps out at me but there are Windows error reports at the bottom which are helpful. Please perform these steps above and retry once again and post your results here.

barry.png
Message 8 of 25 (4,156 Views)

★ Apprentice

@EA_Barry

I'd already tried the bottom three but I hadn't tried disabling antivirus, after doing it all again with antivirus disabled it still got to the same stage and crashed

the clean boot was fine

the system file checker ran and found no issues, it gave "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

there was no system.txt file in that location, there was only a general.txt I renamed that to .old though

Message 9 of 25 (4,148 Views)

Community Manager

@Jamescooper23

Try right clicking and running the following as an Administrator:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dead Space 3\__Installer\vc\vc2010sp1\redist\vcredist_x86.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dead Space 3\__Installer\directx\redist\DXSETUP.exe

Now that I am noticing, your game is on J:\ if the above steps do not help you might try installing the game on C:\

barry.png
Message 10 of 25 (4,136 Views)