Dead Space 3 (PC) Incompatible with Most Resolutions

by TheMeatslinger

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dead Space 3 (PC) Incompatible with Most Resolutions

★ Novice

Dead Space 3 has some serious issues with resolution support on my PC. If the resolution is set to any setting other than a "wide" setting (not widescreen, but the ones marked as "wide"), the game's interface elements, such as the cursor, dialog pop-ups, the player's health, stasis, oxygen, ammo, etc., along with all in-game holographic panels, will disappear and cease to function. Effectively, the game is ruined by this glitch, because even basic HUD data is impossible to see, and menus are not navigable. I had to use the Task Manager to close the game, because even the "Are you sure you want to quit?" dialog won't appear.

I have already verified my computer's compatibility with the game's requirements, changed my graphics settings at least five or more times to varying combinations of different render settings, restarted the game, restarted the computer, updated my video card drivers, reinstalled my video card drivers, tested using two different displays, and even reinstalled the game itself. There is really no further troubleshooting I can think to do.

This needs to be addressed, and quickly. I've learned from some searching that I'm not the only one with this issue. Does anybody know of a fix? I need to find a solution soon or I will be forced to return a game I'd really rather be playing.

Message 1 of 15 (41,603 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Dead Space 3 (PC) Incompatible with Most Resolutions

★★★ Novice

Dead Space 3 is a blast. Unfortunately, it’s also got some pretty big issues with field-of-view and player perspective. Menus are often obscured by turning, the camera can get caught in corners, and players can get disoriented by just how close they are to Isaac’s back. Thankfully, the folks at Visceral have been kind enough to allow players to change Dead Space 3′s FOV to something more to their taste. To change your FOV, just follow these simple steps:

Navigate your way to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\EA Games\Dead Space 3\
    Open up system.txt in the text editor of your choice
    Find the line “Window.FOVScale = 1.00000000″
    Change the number to whatever you like. By default, 1.0 is an FOV of 75 degrees. For a view similar to Dead Space 1, I’d suggest changing it to 1.2.
    (FOR 16:9 MONITORS) Change “Window.WideScreen” to true.

If you have a program that lets you see FPS, the problem becomes clear: Dead Space 3 defaults to 30 FPS, regardless of your monitor refresh rate! All that lovely hardware you bought isn’t being put to good use at such low framerates. Thankfully, much like the FOV fix, Visceral Games has given us a way to uncap our framerate without having to crack the game apart. It’s even easier than changing your FOV! However, it comes with the added risk of overheating vital components, as the framerate runs completely unchecked. Here’s a quick and easy guide to get those smooth framerates without busting your nice new video card.

Open up your video settings in-game.
    Turn off Vsync. This can end up giving you framerates of over 120 FPS if you have a good system.
    Turn off the game.
    Go into your video card control panel.
    Turn on Vsync in your control panel (either globally or for Dead Space 3 specifically).
    Boot up Dead Space 3.
    Enjoy alien blasting at a smooth 60 FPS.

View in thread

Message 6 of 15 (43,208 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Guide

Hi there

Try updating your GPU Drivers using the links below, remember to uninstall your old drivers before installing the new ones.

NVIDIA: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx
AMD: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Hope this helps

Kuro

Message 2 of 15 (41,492 Views)

★ Novice

Already been done, once before on the previous install, and again just in case for the new install. Identical results. Thanks, though.

It's just so... frustrating, getting broken content on day 1.

Message 3 of 15 (41,488 Views)

★★★★ Guide
Sorry to hear that did not work, but at least with clean graphics drivers we can be sure it is not your PC.

Hopefully a update will be released very soon that will patch all the bugs that the developers have been made aware of since release

Kuro
Message 4 of 15 (41,475 Views)

★★★ Novice

have you tried windowed or fullscreanWindoed Mode?

Also try going to

C/(Username)/AppData/Local/EA GAmes/Dead Space 3

and open the system.txt

look for:

Window.Height = 

Window.Width =

and write a custom resolution that works for you

example:

Window.Height = 1900

Window.Width = 1000

Message 5 of 15 (41,344 Views)

★★★ Novice

Dead Space 3 is a blast. Unfortunately, it’s also got some pretty big issues with field-of-view and player perspective. Menus are often obscured by turning, the camera can get caught in corners, and players can get disoriented by just how close they are to Isaac’s back. Thankfully, the folks at Visceral have been kind enough to allow players to change Dead Space 3′s FOV to something more to their taste. To change your FOV, just follow these simple steps:

Navigate your way to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\EA Games\Dead Space 3\
    Open up system.txt in the text editor of your choice
    Find the line “Window.FOVScale = 1.00000000″
    Change the number to whatever you like. By default, 1.0 is an FOV of 75 degrees. For a view similar to Dead Space 1, I’d suggest changing it to 1.2.
    (FOR 16:9 MONITORS) Change “Window.WideScreen” to true.

If you have a program that lets you see FPS, the problem becomes clear: Dead Space 3 defaults to 30 FPS, regardless of your monitor refresh rate! All that lovely hardware you bought isn’t being put to good use at such low framerates. Thankfully, much like the FOV fix, Visceral Games has given us a way to uncap our framerate without having to crack the game apart. It’s even easier than changing your FOV! However, it comes with the added risk of overheating vital components, as the framerate runs completely unchecked. Here’s a quick and easy guide to get those smooth framerates without busting your nice new video card.

Open up your video settings in-game.
    Turn off Vsync. This can end up giving you framerates of over 120 FPS if you have a good system.
    Turn off the game.
    Go into your video card control panel.
    Turn on Vsync in your control panel (either globally or for Dead Space 3 specifically).
    Boot up Dead Space 3.
    Enjoy alien blasting at a smooth 60 FPS.

Message 6 of 15 (43,209 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you!

Message 7 of 15 (40,765 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks. This fixed the problem for me. I don't know why in 2013 developers can't figure out how to make games default to your desktop resolution. Would solve all these resolution problems with recent games.

Message 8 of 15 (39,346 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I can't find the system.txt file. Is it hidden in another folder or something?

Help appreciated in advance.

Edit: Show hidden files first!

Message 9 of 15 (39,112 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

C:\Users\your username here\AppData\Local\EA Games\Dead Space 3

Remember that C: Stands for your C computer drive.

Hope this helped Standard smile

Message 10 of 15 (32,019 Views)