Ask. Answer. Be the Hero.
Keeper
hoopyfrood76

"The game needs access to the internet in order to verify ownership of this game."

"Please ensure that your computer is online and try again."

Yeah, I think my computer is connected to the internet right now...seeing as how I'm posting this.

Why am I dealing with faulty DRM for a game that is installed through Steam? (And do Origins installations have the same issues, I wonder?)

After all, both Origins and Steam are DRM in their own way, thereby eliminating the need for a separate DRM to verify a copy (of course, that doesn't seem to stop companies from doing it anyway, but I'm going to stop there before I go off on a rant that will probably decrease my chances of actually getting this problem fixed). And this separate DRM has apparently decided to stop working, even though I had no problems around 30 hours ago when I last launched the game.

And I'm not the only Steam user having this problem. One other person has indicated on the Steam forums that they are ecoutnering the same problem. So there are no doubt more than a handful of people who have gotten hit by this.

Anyone have any ideas?

Keeper
whipp00rwill

Re: "The game needs access to the internet in order to verify ownership of this game."

I'm having the same issue. I'm also attempting to run it from Steam, and there are a few others on the Steam forums with the same exact problem. I haven't even been able to play the game once, I just bought it last night (Monday) I guess about the time everyone started having problems. 

I have noticed a few of the EA websites have been down most of the day, when I tried coming here to the support site earlier it was down. Maybe EA is having server problems? If that's the case, they should think twice about selling a game that people pay their hard earned money on and then can't play because EA servers are down.

Keeper
dennisos2

Re: "The game needs access to the internet in order to verify ownership of this game."

Same issue here.  I see we are all posting around the same time.  It is almost as if something in the game timed-out.  Bought Maximum Edition (1/13/2013) and the entire install went with NO error messages.  I played the game about half dozen times after DL'ing from Amazon and installing.  Have only installed on this computer.  OBVIOUSLY I have an internet connection.

I even turned-off all firewall / antivirus protection thinking a Windows or Norton update caused this.  STILL has the same error message.

Are we supposed to get an answer from EA or wait for the community to solve this EA fiasco?

Keeper
dennisos2

Absolutely.  In this day and age patches can be sent out to correct these issues.  Problems with companies still selling products they no longer support.

Keeper
whipp00rwill

I think the problem may be bigger than just Crysis. I've been browsing various message boards, here at EA and on steam, and many other EA services are down at the moment.

For instance, I can't log in to my Sims 3 online account, (I can't still play because it doesn't have a stupid online DRM). Many people have had trouble with FIFA servers, and I've read about some others not being able to access their Sim City 4 accounts.

I just wish EA would give us some kind of answer to this problem.

Keeper
dennisos2

You could be right, but I also have Crysis Warhead and I do NOT get the access error message when starting that game.  I do have other issues with it, like it installing ONLY as multi-player.  So I can't play it either.  But I don't get the access message I receive with Crysis.  So now what?

Keeper
whipp00rwill

I'm not sure what to do now, other than blow up EA support with requests for fixes or answers.

I just want to play Crysis. I don't know how they expect to cut down on pirating when the only versions of the games that work are the cracked ones. Another fail for online DRM.

Keeper
hoopyfrood76

Funny thing is when I contacted EA, they insisted it was a Steam problem. (That's right, point the finger at the other guy. Is EA staffed by former politicians?)

Even though Steam hadn't updated the game since last I played it.

Good news is whatever the problem was it's fixed now. (And I don't think Valve had anything to do with the fix, despite what the EA tech tried to tell me.)

Keeper
whipp00rwill

I'm petty sure it was an EA server problem even if they won't admit it.