SimCity Complete Crashing on a Mac

by napadaddy

Original Post

Re: SimCity (Mac) hangs at city loading screen

★ Novice
I have the same problem and pretty much the app is unable to perform.

Tried many ways including uninstalling simcity and origin, changing settings, etc. Nothing worked. :-(
Message 11 of 45 (3,629 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi, i am having the same problem. It happened first after updating my Mac OSX to OSX Sierra. From then on i got the "Graphics kernel error: 0xfffffffd" when entering my city in Multiplayer modus and the game shut down. Kept doing that.

(Meanwhile -accidentally- i ordered a SSD to replace my HDD and i have installed it now).

I choose a clean boot with OSX El Capitan from my bootable-usb: thinking this would maybe be a solution after reading al the same problems in this topic.

(I had no problem playing SimCity when running OSX El Captain)

But... it still gives me the "Graphics kernel error: 0xfffffffd".

I run a

Mac Book Pro

OSX El Capitan 10.11.4

2,3 Ghz i7

4GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

Can Origin or EA help me out? 

Message 12 of 45 (3,587 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am crashing on High Sierra beta. Did you ever resolve this?

Message 13 of 45 (3,245 Views)

★ Novice

Me too.  Crashes once a city gets too complex.

Message 14 of 45 (3,040 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi This has started happening to me too, 5 - 10 mins in the game it either completely freezes or crashes... hopefully they will fix this soon I love playing this.

Message 15 of 45 (3,024 Views)

★ Novice

Yes - and pretty serious crashes too since my whole machine freezes (i7 iMac) and only option is to switch off an on again.

Message 16 of 45 (3,007 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

annoying either going to have to do a complete computer hard reset or find a new way ... any ideas ????

Message 17 of 45 (2,940 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi all,

It looks like more users are having this problem.

I did not solve this in the meantime. Unfortunately..

SimCity already crashes while loading the city.

However, there was a small time in between posting the problem and answering you guys that i wás able to play.

I don't know what made the difference, apart from the settings of the resolution: you can see in the screenshot that i changed the format of the window game.

This helped for a while, but not anymore..

But: i do not need a hard reset. I installed "clean my mac" and it detects apps that are frozen. That way i can "force quit" anything without resetting. 

Maybe that will help someone to figure out what is crashing (to be able to take a look "inside" the game because the computer still works properly).

Keep me posted please!

Screenshot

Message 18 of 45 (2,931 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I'm having the issue of the game crashing really quickly too. I updated to MacOS High sierra and ever since that simcity hasn't worked right at all. Even lowered the graphics on it to see if that would help. Uninstalled, reinstalled, repaired, checked for updates, But nope, before I get a chance to place the main road down the game just closes. I think there needs to be an update to the game to work better with high sierra or something. Because it was working great before. I really hope that it will be looked into, I really enjoyed playing the game before the issue started.  

Message 19 of 45 (2,846 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hey there

I did all those things too, even went on to apple help they sent me back to EA

Now because EA don't care about this game anymore, and I bet they won't even bother to email us saying they are aware of it, I think we are going to have to look around for other ways to get the game working again, apparently its something to do with graphics and 32 bit / 64 bit.....

Anyways I haven't confirmed that but if apple are selling it on their app store it must work??? but as I purchased this a few years back Im not risking spending another 25 quid on a game that doesn't work.....

Any further in depth updates from anyone else to get this problem sorted and getting us guys back into the game ??

Message 20 of 45 (2,755 Views)