SimCity Complete Crashing on a Mac

by napadaddy

Original Post

SimCity Complete Crashing on a Mac

★ Novice

I am on a Mac using OS 10.11 SimCity Complete crashes quite often when the city gets to a certain size. Any idea how to fix? Thank you.

Message 9 of 45 (21,731 Views)

SimCity (Mac) hangs at city loading screen

★★★ Newbie

Pretty much what I said in the title. I'm on Mac OS 10.10.4, with the most recent origin update as of 7/28-ish/2015. This started happening a couple of days ago when I opened SimCity and the Origin app auto-updated. Tried to start a new city in a region I started about a month ago. Game goes to city's loading screen, but does not display the city's name. Game tips scroll through at the bottom of the screen and the little "status updates" appear below where the city's name would be, but the game never goes beyond this. Just sits there and plays the music and displays all the tips and status things (you know, the ones like "reticulating splines," etc) for hours on end if you let it.

Any fixes for this?

Is there a way to officially report this as a bug to the developers so they can fix it?

Message 1 of 45 (21,824 Views)

Re: SimCity (Mac) hangs at city loading screen

EA DICE Team

Hi @loeffelmusic,

Can you try our Reset Origin tool? If usually solves problems that occur after a game or Origin update. I hope this helps. If not, please feel free to reach out to me again.

Message 2 of 45 (21,791 Views)

simcity keeps crashing on OS X 10.11

★★★ Newbie

Hi, 

My simcity keeps crashing. I don't know if its to do with OS X 10.11?? is this an issue? At present I'm re downloading the game to see if this helps. Any ideas??

Message 3 of 45 (21,782 Views)

Re: simcity keeps crashing on OS X 10.11

EA DICE Team

Hi @AlexGordon1989,

If your game keeps crashing, please take a look at our crashing and freezing troubleshooting article. If that does not resolve your issue, you can also use the Reset Origin tool. A third option would be to do a clean boot to see if any background programs might be causing problems.

In any case, make sure you have the latest updates for your Mac. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

--Tom

Message 4 of 45 (21,775 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have a similar issue. Since updating to El Capitan on my Mac, Simcity refuses to run for more than 10-15 minutes. Multiple error/crash reports sent by my Mac. I have uninstalled / reinstalled, performed clean boots, and cleared caches. Game worked just fine prior to updating to El Capitan. 

Message 5 of 45 (21,753 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This has not helped either. Still crashes when entering a city. 

Message 6 of 45 (21,754 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@aaronmurchy @loeffelmusic @AlexGordon1989

Sorry for not being able to get back to you sooner. I merged both threads as you are all experiencing the same issue.

Can you confirming again that you are all running the latest El Capitan update? It sometimes happens that we need to update things on our end as well after a Mac update, I will keel an

I do have some more steps that we can try meanwhile:

• Right-click Simcity in Origin, click Repair Game
  • Right-click Simcity, select Game Properties and turn off Origin in-game
  • You can also try to run the game in Windowed mode by adding -w in the same menu, I would advise to try these steps seperately
  • Please go to Origin > Application settings and turn on Beta opt-in by scrolling down. Restart Origin afterwards

Please let me know if you have further questions,

Message 7 of 45 (21,742 Views)

★ Novice

I am getting the same problem and have a crash report that is normally sent to apple.  Maybe it can help you resolve the problem as it indicates a graphics kernel error.

Message 8 of 45 (21,707 Views)

Re: SimCity Complete Crashing on a Mac

★ Novice

I am not crashing at the start up screen. If my city gets too large it slows my computer to a crawl or just crashes. Is there a resolution for this problem?

Message 10 of 45 (21,666 Views)