Re: Error: Unable to set the video mode

by kl4ndri

Original Post

Error: Unable to set the video mode

★★★ Newbie

Just downloaded this product. I thought it was set up to be compatible with Windows 7 or I would have never purchased it in the first place. I downloaded the Red Alert 2 product and tried to play and got Error: Unable to set the video mode. I have gone into the compatibility settings and changed them to a variety of different operating systems including 95, 98, and XP. Should not sell a product that is indicated as Windows 7 compatible when its not. Need some help. Thanks.

Message 1 of 12 (59,944 Views)

★★★★ Guide
Message 2 of 12 (59,397 Views)

★★★ Newbie

My PC is powweful and I bought the Command and Conquer collection...all the games dosn't work! have different error messages such as unable to set the video mode! for some reason I always have problems with EA games..this company has a lot of issues even the new games such as BF4. EA seriously need to prove better service, I rate you 3/10. 

@rodajo235 wrote:

Just downloaded this product. I thought it was set up to be compatible with Windows 7 or I would have never purchased it in the first place. I downloaded the Red Alert 2 product and tried to play and got Error: Unable to set the video mode. I have gone into the compatibility settings and changed them to a variety of different operating systems including 95, 98, and XP. Should not sell a product that is indicated as Windows 7 compatible when its not. Need some help. Thanks.

Message 3 of 12 (49,471 Views)

Hero

Look, you can complain all you want about how they packaged it... it's bad, okay? We know it, they probably know it too by now, complaining won't change a thing.

However, the link mrtnptrs gave WILL help you, so instead of complaining, just read it through, okay? It's usually just a matter of finding the game settings .ini file and adjusting it manually.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 4 of 12 (49,458 Views)

★ Novice

the person has every right to complain as he bought the game that states it works on win7 only to find out this is not true and EA have given no help at all on fixing the problem. So if they want to complain and clear their frustrtation then so be it.

Message 5 of 12 (48,272 Views)

★ Pro

This board is hosted by EA with little EA official presence, almost all the work here is done by volunteers.

In most cases TUC is compatible with W7 without any problems. If he wants real EA help he should contact EA customer support. If he wants to vent, he should do so at the official EA/C&C forums (although the latter have nazi moderators and they'd lock the thread) but if he wants help with problems with the game he should come here. This issue in particular is well known and in the stickied thread called "Common Problems PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING" the solution can be found.

Message 6 of 12 (48,266 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Aggreed, this is more a forum of players helping players. Contact EA Support if you really have an issue, but ranting wont help you solve the problem.

So moving along....That link will prly fix your issue. In my case; I had to set my desktop resolution to 800x600, then launch the game, after which you can change the settings in-game to your actual native resolution and change your desktop back to normal.

Message 7 of 12 (48,259 Views)

★★★ Newbie

try to put the game folder in program files x86 and see if it works !!!!

Message 8 of 12 (44,855 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi All, I had this problem on my PC, laptop, and got it to work on both. I now figured what you need to do when getting "Unable to set video mode"

After 1 hour of frustrations of getting it to work on laptop here is what I did. And this may work for any other computer or laptop you have:

1. Make sure to install DirectX 11

2. Go to game folder: -> C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Command & Conquer The First Decade\Command & Conquer Red Alert(tm) II\RA2

in this directory you will find a "RA2.ini" file. Open it -> Scroll down to the section that shows the following:

[Video]
ScreenWidth=1366
ScreenHeight=768
StretchMovies=no

Change the width and height to whatever your windows resolution is currently set to. BOOM problem solved! Also I hear this game is hard to find and it is found at Walmart for $19.99 USD is where I got my copy. it also comes with other C&C games and bonus stuff inclduded but I just play RA2.

Thank you

Message 9 of 12 (38,705 Views)

Hero

Installing the games under Program Files itself usually causes issues, since it means the games are unable to write inside their .ini configuration files in the game folders, unless the games are ran in Administrator mode.

Then again, any compatibility mode will automatically make it run in Administrator mode anyway...

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 10 of 12 (38,683 Views)