how do I setup a second machine for Command and Conquer?

by mxguy1000

Original Post

Accepted Solution

how do I setup a second machine for Command and Conquer?

★★★★★ Newbie

The original games came with an extra disc so that you could play with a friend.. How do I go about doing that, with this mess?

Message 1 of 2 (513 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: how do I setup a second machine for Command and Conquer?

[ Edited ]
Hero

@mxguy1000

Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun are all freeware, and have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. These patches all add No-CD mode to the games, making the disks irrelevant.

Notably, one of these fixed compatibility problems is the fact these games originally all used the completely ancient IPX network protocol for their multiplayer games. This protocol hasn't been supported since Windows XP was released, and because of this C&C1 even got an official  mini-patch to make it just launch on WinXP. But the official patch "fixed" it just by disabling network play altogether. The unofficial patches actually fix it properly, reactivating network play by using a different protocol.

Basically, just either install the unofficial patches and work from there, or don't bother with the Origin versions altogether and just use the full freeware installers:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

For C&C1 and RA1, once the patches are installed, playing LAN should be as simple as going ingame and pressing "Network". For Tiberian Sun, if you use a patched Origin installation, there's a possibility it'll complain about duplicate CD keys, because Origin fails to put those keys in the Windows registry correctly. There's a guide for fixing that for RA2 here; the process should be equivalent for TS.

Note that technically, Westwood's generosity with the 2-CD thing doesn't apply to this Origin release; each user is supposed to get their own TUC pack. Which is why I advise you to stick to the full freeware releases for these three games, and not involve Origin. I don't know if Origin will accept multiple PCs logged in with the same user, running the same game, at the same time.

On a related note, C&C online play is still alive and kicking. You can play the classics (C&C1, RA1, TS, RA2, Dune2k)  online using the CnCNet service , which also offers LAN as choice in their launch options list. For playing the newer C&C games online, I suggest checking out the C&C: Online project.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 2 of 2 (606 Views)

All Replies

Re: how do I setup a second machine for Command and Conquer?

[ Edited ]
Hero

@mxguy1000

Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun are all freeware, and have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. These patches all add No-CD mode to the games, making the disks irrelevant.

Notably, one of these fixed compatibility problems is the fact these games originally all used the completely ancient IPX network protocol for their multiplayer games. This protocol hasn't been supported since Windows XP was released, and because of this C&C1 even got an official  mini-patch to make it just launch on WinXP. But the official patch "fixed" it just by disabling network play altogether. The unofficial patches actually fix it properly, reactivating network play by using a different protocol.

Basically, just either install the unofficial patches and work from there, or don't bother with the Origin versions altogether and just use the full freeware installers:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

For C&C1 and RA1, once the patches are installed, playing LAN should be as simple as going ingame and pressing "Network". For Tiberian Sun, if you use a patched Origin installation, there's a possibility it'll complain about duplicate CD keys, because Origin fails to put those keys in the Windows registry correctly. There's a guide for fixing that for RA2 here; the process should be equivalent for TS.

Note that technically, Westwood's generosity with the 2-CD thing doesn't apply to this Origin release; each user is supposed to get their own TUC pack. Which is why I advise you to stick to the full freeware releases for these three games, and not involve Origin. I don't know if Origin will accept multiple PCs logged in with the same user, running the same game, at the same time.

On a related note, C&C online play is still alive and kicking. You can play the classics (C&C1, RA1, TS, RA2, Dune2k)  online using the CnCNet service , which also offers LAN as choice in their launch options list. For playing the newer C&C games online, I suggest checking out the C&C: Online project.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 2 (607 Views)