command and conquer red alert 2. keeps freezing randomly

by jamesfront007

Original Post

Accepted Solution

command and conquer red alert 2. keeps freezing randomly

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

i have a problem with red alert 2 and its counterpart Yuri revenge freezing at random intervals.. i have to hard shut off the game ( sometimes log out of my pc to stop the program as i cant even stop it the other way)

my windows is windows 10 btw

(ps. also lost saves but maybe thats is because of a mod i tried to use)

Message 1 of 28 (116,839 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: command and conquer red alert 2. keeps freezing randomly

★★ Guide

@jamesfront007

Please follow these guides for properly installing and patching Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge:

https://cncnz.com/features/technical-support-help-guides/installing-command-conquer-red-alert-2/

https://cncnz.com/features/technical-support-help-guides/installing-command-conquer-red-alert-2-yuri...

If you choose the ddwrapper option mentioned in the "Handling Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge on Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10" section, do the following:

Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and try running the game again

View in thread

Message 2 of 28 (134,507 Views)

All Replies

★★ Guide

@jamesfront007

Please follow these guides for properly installing and patching Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge:

https://cncnz.com/features/technical-support-help-guides/installing-command-conquer-red-alert-2/

https://cncnz.com/features/technical-support-help-guides/installing-command-conquer-red-alert-2-yuri...

If you choose the ddwrapper option mentioned in the "Handling Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge on Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10" section, do the following:

Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and try running the game again

Message 2 of 28 (134,508 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

installing is not the problem.. its in game that i freeze all the time.. this link(s?) are only  for installing problems

(Same user only different name, and cant delete this message)

Message 3 of 28 (116,725 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

i dont know about the ultimate collection potions and the kaucher things i tried to do the solution underi t but i dont think i should have done it .. and dont know what to do with the others ( sicnei have theo rigin version of the games)

edit: it still freezes.. i did the ultimate dition one without the launcher patch and i did the dll add part first i think ( i,m a bti fuzzy on that.. didnt edit anything except screen with which didnt work i think

Message 4 of 28 (116,715 Views)

★★ Guide

@darkkanepower

Except you didn't read the bit where it tells you how to handle them on modern Windows, towards the bottom of the page.

Message 5 of 28 (116,702 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

i did and reread it again to see what you meant.. i DID put the ddwrapper in but never used that extra patcher download that was also mentioned... duh thats why it didnt work. thanks for telling me :D

cant test it yet but will  reply when i find otu it worked or not

Message 6 of 28 (116,690 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

still didnt work after i did the ddwrapper and patcher.. ( or do i do the patch first then ddwrapper?) i still freezes suddenly.. i dont even know if its temporary or a full freeze but i cant play if i  have to do the same mission over because i,m stuck by freezing and dont save every little step i make

Message 7 of 28 (116,674 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

i have done everything except the parameters thing mentioned here ( and for some reason ra2.exe cant be compatibled, only game.exe can be compatibled) and then the game freezes on the startng schreen.. really dont know if the order of updates/files adding/ patches make a difference or anything)

Message 8 of 28 (116,646 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

and i think its the virus scanner that  made it unplayable since it deleted the exe file needed to start the game yesterday

Message 9 of 28 (116,625 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

shouldnt launch the edited game over origin anyways lol thats why it never worked when starting up after updating the game with the extra files

Message 10 of 28 (116,572 Views)