Re: Yuri's Revenge fails to stay open for longer than a second

by Nyerguds

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Yuri's Revenge fails to stay open for longer than a second

★★★ Newbie

I tried to open up the game, and I hear the sound effects for about half a second before it tabs itself out to my desktop. No matter how many times I click back into the game it does the same thing, half a second of sound and back to my desktop.

Red Alert 2 does better, At least it gets to loading screen before it does the same thing.

I can't even get to the games themselves, let alone worrying about the black screen problem most people are dealing with.

I'm running Windows 10 and just bought these straight off of Origin.

Also for some reason my .ini files only have this in them and nothing else: 

[Intro]
Play=no

Message 1 of 4 (15,365 Views)

Accepted Solution

Hero

@Royten

Well, there's another solution...

The CnCNet online system has an installer to install their stuff on the game which does a bunch of automatic compatibility fixes, too, and comes with more options in their config tool. You could try installing that, see if it helps.

And if not, they got a forum with a lot of expertise on getting it running. They'll probably be able to help you better with RA2 than I can.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 4 of 4 (16,116 Views)

All Replies

Hero

@Royten

Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. For Red Alert 2 there's a more general patch that solves a lot of its graphics problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Red Alert 2:

• The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve a multitude of graphics problems, including the "black screen" issue. Might help you out, too.
    Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and try running the game again.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 4 (15,351 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I already did that, still doesn't work.
Message 3 of 4 (15,343 Views)

Hero

@Royten

Well, there's another solution...

The CnCNet online system has an installer to install their stuff on the game which does a bunch of automatic compatibility fixes, too, and comes with more options in their config tool. You could try installing that, see if it helps.

And if not, they got a forum with a lot of expertise on getting it running. They'll probably be able to help you better with RA2 than I can.

Message 4 of 4 (16,117 Views)