★★★ Novice

Neither work when I try. Help please! Tongue out

Message 1 of 14 (12,077 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Windows 10 "Main executable not working" C&C

Hero

@EnvyFallenAngel

Hmm. You could try this:

Open the game folder and find the "game" and "gamemd" executables. Open their properties, and on the Compatibility tab, make sure they run in Windows XP Service Pack 3 compatibility, and are started as Administrator.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 4 of 14 (14,894 Views)

All Replies

Hero

@EnvyFallenAngel

Which C&C? There are a bunch of them.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 14 (12,057 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@Nyerguds Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge, there is a C&C link at the bottom for credits that didn't work at first but now does. Don't know how I got it to but the games themselves still don't activate at all. I got them from Origin.

Message 3 of 14 (12,032 Views)

Hero

@EnvyFallenAngel

Hmm. You could try this:

Open the game folder and find the "game" and "gamemd" executables. Open their properties, and on the Compatibility tab, make sure they run in Windows XP Service Pack 3 compatibility, and are started as Administrator.

Message 4 of 14 (14,895 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@Nyerguds

Ra2.exe and Yuri.exe was also required for what you said and it worked thanks!!! how do I get fullscreen 1920x1080 resolution is my final question ^_^.

Message 5 of 14 (11,952 Views)

Hero

@EnvyFallenAngel wrote:

@Nyerguds

Ra2.exe and Yuri.exe was also required for what you said and it worked thanks!!! how do I get fullscreen 1920x1080 resolution is my final question ^_^.

Ah. Good to know. That game has too many executables... :P

As for fullscreen, uh, normally it runs full screen by default. If it doesn't, you must've set the "-win" parameter in the Origin settings, which is specifically for running it in Windowed mode.

The resolution can be set in ra2.ini (for the main game) / ra2md.ini (for the Yuri's Revenge expansion):

[Video]
AllowHiResModes=yes
ScreenWidth=1920
ScreenHeight=1080
StretchMovies=no

Do note that this game doesn't scale, so higher resolution just means more visible terrain in the game. This also obviously means all units and structures in the game become tiny, so you may want to play in a lower resolution after all, to avoid that. After all, the game was designed to be played on 800x600.

Message 6 of 14 (11,845 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Nyerguds 

Oh okay, so to make it full screen with 800x600 what are the steps haha I can't find this "-win" option.

Message 7 of 14 (11,791 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@EnvyFallenAngel I'm not sure what you mean... if you don't know where to find or use that option, I'm guessing the game isn't running in Windowed mode. So why are you specifically asking for a full screen mode?

Anyway, I posted a bunch of stuff here that should help you out:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/C-amp-C-ultimate-collection-Red-Alert-2-wont-st...

(that post specifically is about compatibility mode, but my posts below that have more)

Message 8 of 14 (11,787 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@Nyerguds

Okay thank you sorry, I guess to better explain it. It is a small window with big black bars around it hence why I'm probably trying to say "full" screen cause I'm playing like I have a 2 inch screen that fills the picture on my 10 inch monitor with black surrounding the picture to fill the rest of the void that is available but being unused.

Message 9 of 14 (11,747 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@EnvyFallenAngel

Ohh. That one.

There's an option in the exe properties that says "disable display scaling on high DPI settings". I think the Origin install enables that by default. Try unchecking that. If the option is greyed out, click the "change settings for all users" button at the bottom and disable it there.

If that doesn't work, you should look through the settings of your display driver (like the NVidia Control panel / AMD Catalyst Control Center) for options about scaling small content to full screen.

Message 10 of 14 (11,740 Views)