Re: Unable to refund C&C Ultimate Collection - solved

by Nyerguds

Original Post

Unable to refund C&C Ultimate Collection - solved

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I wanted to play Tiberian Sun so I bought the ultimate collection, figuring that EA had made sure that these games work on modern OSes before actually selling them on their new platform. Sadly I was mistaken.

The menus in Tiberian Sun don't work, rendering the game almost unusable. There is a third party fix available but it should be EA, not fans, who fix these games.

I therefore would like a refund but the request refund (Restitutie aanvragen in Dutch) basically returns a 404 and this page (https://help.ea.com/nl/refund/) tells me that I have no games which are eligible for a refund.

To be clear; I have bought it half an hour ago and have determined that the game in its vanilla state is basically unplayable. Aditionally, if Tiberian Sun doesn't work then that doesn't bode well for the older titles in the bundle.

I therefore demand a refund.

Edit: If I go through the English version of the refund portal the game is listed as eligible for refund. I have submitted my request. But the above hasn't exactly endeared me to Origin as a storefront. You sell broken games and make it hard for customers to get a refund. Functionality either works or doesn't work depending on which language the page is set.

All in all: not good.

Message 1 of 4 (691 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@lefthandedbandit

Tiberian Sun doesn't work on windows 8 and 10, that's right. But keep in mind, The Ultimate Collection was released before windows 8 and 10 came out so it was never tested nor meant to run on these two operation systems.

I made a patcher that solves the main menu issues, if you like you can get it here: https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/2606-tiberian-sun-patches-fix-for-the-windows-8-10-menu-problems-and...

If you don't want to download thrid party patches then I can explain you how to get the game working without downloading anything (Via compatibility modes set in the registry)

Message 2 of 4 (676 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi,

I think €30 is a pretty steep price if they can't even guarantee basic functionality for these games.

I have the original TibSun sitting in a cabinet behind me. I've gone back to that and installed the third party patch on it. It runs beautifully.

The point of paying €30 was not to have any of that hassle and obtain a few games I hadn't gotten around to in the process.

Message 3 of 4 (665 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@lefthandedbandit

You might've saved yourself that money with some research anyway - the first three games have been made freeware years ago, and while C&C1 and RA1 were just released as ISOs (since they have no CD keys) the freeware release of Tiberian Sun is exactly just the zipped contents of the game folder as it is installed on the "First Decade" and "Ultimate Collection" packs.

So, yeah... Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun are all freeware, and have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 4 of 4 (622 Views)