Tiberian Sun not working after intro, Windows 8

by gemnewton

Original Post

Re: Tiberian Sun not working after intro, Windows 8

★★★ Newbie

I've tried this fix and yet agian if doesnt work. this problem is way over done there has to be something missing!? please ANY OTHER FIXES???

Message 31 of 35 (863 Views)

★ Apprentice

@ausJCP wrote:

Hi there.

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but wanted to post an expanded solution (based on an answer given by pcobb23 in another forum) in case anyone else had this (very frustrating) problem. I was having the exact same issues as the above posts on my Win8.1 64bit machine, using an Origin digital download of the game (as part of a C&C multi-pack). I was able to successfully resolve the issue the following way:

SOLUTION:

Step 1.  Find your Tiberian Sun install directory in Program Files ...which was in my case "Origin Games", (but others may have to look in "Westwood Studios", "EA Games" or similar if you've stumbled upon this support thread from a search engine).

Step 2.  Right click on "Game.exe" application, and select properties.

Step 3.  In the Compatibility tab, check the box "Run this program in compatabilty mode for:"

Step 4.  Select a compatibility mode*. In my case, Windows XP (Service Pack 3) is working.

Step 5.  Check the box which says "Reduce Color Mode", then set the color mode to 16-bit color.

Step 6.  Also check the box that says "Run this program as an admistrator". Click apply and then ok.

Then...

Step 7.   Download the below .ZIP patch file (posted by some legend from C&C Communications Centre fan forum) and simply extract the files directly into the Tiberian Sun install folder (from Step 1).

http://tore.cnc-comm.com/TS_Win8fix.zip

(I have checked the patch, it contains no malware.)

*I played around with every compatibility setting until I found one that worked... in my case it was Win XP (Service Pack 3), but I have read other forums suggesting WinXP SP2 and Win7.... if not getting the results you want, keep trying new compatibility settings! Note, as mentioned by an EA mod in another thread, this isn't an official EA patch, so he recommended backing up before trying it out.

Really hope this helps someone out there!

This still doesn't fix the issue Frown

Message 32 of 35 (839 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey guys I got the fix to work after messing with it for some time.  After you extract the files to the TB Sun folder make sure to drag the contents of the folder into the same folder as the executable.  They should not be in a sub folder.  Once I dragged the files into the same folder as the executable, the sub menus in the game appeared and worked!

Message 33 of 35 (771 Views)

★ Apprentice
Great thank you for that, I'll try it later!
Message 34 of 35 (761 Views)

★★ Guide

There is also a new fix for that problem, you can get it here:

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=3438.0

It comes with some extra goodies like Online support via CnCNet with many players, a config program to change your resolution and more Standard smile

Make sure you remove the files from the TS_Win8fix.zip archive, else might not work properly

Message 35 of 35 (755 Views)