Red alert 2 black screen with sound and mouse

by puftos

Original Post

Re: Red alert 2 black screen with sound and mouse

★★ Novice

What complete and utter nonsense; I've just installed this game fresh (unmodified in anyway), on a fresh windows installation with all the very latest drivers and windows updates and its screwed.

All I get is black screen, game sounds and a white mouse icon..  Good one Origin.

Something else worth mentioning:

<------- Look at my Avatar, I never at any point EVER chose to use any kind of FIFA/Football image as my Origin AVATAR, not once.  In fact, i created my own personal one.   It seems that not only do Origin knowingly chose to give away or sell you games that don't work out of the box,  they also choose to manipulate your avatars to self-promote their up and coming games (i.e Fifa 16), doing their utmost to subliminally promote it all over their website.

Back to Steam we go....  A magical place with a far superior community, where everything just works!

Message 11 of 97 (40,067 Views)

★★ Novice

first time i liked the free origin game and now it just doenst work on my windows 10 laptop..

Message 12 of 97 (40,064 Views)

★ Novice

Yep, broken for me too. I've been through the sticky thread but none of that worked either (Win 8.1).

It seems a bit odd to advertise your service with a free game that doesn't work on current operating systems, but there you go. 

Message 13 of 97 (39,944 Views)

★★★ Newbie

ok guys try this.

my game kept freezing so i done this:

Goto game directory EG c:/program/origin/commandandconqurer/

right click

new

notepad file

name it: ra2.ini

and paste this into it:

[Video]
AllowHiResModes=yes
AllowVRAMSidebar=yes
VideoBackBuffer=no
ScreenWidth=800
ScreenHeight=600
StretchMovies=no

IF THERE IS ALREADY A FILE OVERIGHT THE OVE SECTION ONLY

Message 14 of 97 (39,929 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hi, try this fixes how to run red alert 2 on windows 10. I run game without any problem on my notebook with windows 10

Hope you can fix it Wink

there is a link to article how to run red alert 2 under wndows 8 and windows 10

http://patrikkopac.blogspot.sk/2015/09/c-red-alert-2-yuris-revenge-windows.html

Message 15 of 97 (39,447 Views)

Hero

@xPa3ck Oh, that's a very extensive guide! Thank you for posting it Standard smile

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 16 of 97 (39,357 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I had the same problem.My Origin was on my D:\ while the windows on C:\. I uninstalled the origin and setup it again on C:\ and it's working fine now. No more black screen.

Update: It doesn't work anymore. I have same black screen again

Message 17 of 97 (37,535 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am not a programmer, and it seems to me that in order to play these games you must work with code, adjust file locations, rename certain files, ect. We need ORIGIN to help with these issues, not a user based community. They changed my avatar to something stupid as well. So typical of a company to sell broken software and depend on their customers to resolve the issue. This puts pure hatred into my heart. Steam has all the games they have anyways. 

Message 18 of 97 (37,305 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I am running off origin, I couldn't right click the icon. I found the folder in programs 86 though, opened the properties but I don't have the options you've listed. Further more I can't change the compatibility mode.
Message 19 of 97 (37,196 Views)

★★★ Newbie
OK, I got the compatibility to change but it changed absolutely nothing
Message 20 of 97 (37,178 Views)