Re: Red Alert2: Yuri's Revenge graphics Issue

by Nyerguds

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Red Alert2: Yuri's Revenge graphics Issue

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum so i am not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this. I downloaded the RA2+Yuri's Revenge (YR) bundle today from origin since it was free  and played RA2 without any problems. Today I started YR and choose my faction, so far so good no problems whatsoever that other people were having with the games. Then the first mission loads and the screen goes black. Then it comes back and the screen is pressed against the left with black on the right. In addition to the 'halved' screens, the screen with the game playing (at normal speed and without lag) is miscolored- everything is purple, red, green, and blue pixels like the game cannot decide what colored pixels go where.

-----------------------------------------------------

Specs and Game Settings

Windows 10 x64 bit

NVidea 610GT

I3 Processor (it shoudnt matter since the class is already much more advanced)

640x480 Resolution with 16 colors- full screened    (this was the same setting used for RA2 with which this problem, or any for that matter, did not occur)

Graphics setting- High

DirectX11 with 12 installed but not used since my card is not actually compatible

Let me know if anyone needs any other pieces of information to help me out.

Message 1 of 51 (127,896 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Hero

@lethwyn Wooah. Trippy.

The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve a bunch of problems. It might help with this, too.

Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and launch the game again.

[edit]

If you still have problems with RA2 even after this, I advise installing the CnCNet installer for RA2/YR. It comes with a bunch of automatic fixes, and has a configuration tool which offers more choices in graphics fixes than just DDWrapper, so if one doesn't work you can just try if some of the other options do the trick.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 4 of 51 (143,770 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

@lethwyn

Find the game executable, open its properties, and check the "disable scaling on high DPI settings" option. That might help.

(note that the RA2 folder has a whole bunch of executables... best to just make sure to apply it to all of them.)

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 51 (127,799 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I just tried your idea, but I am sad to say it did not work. There was no change. I am going to try various compatibility modes to see if anything helps.

Edit: I jsut tried it any none of them seem to work. I may be changing the setting of the wrong file though, it's hard to see what the executable is when the launcher is seperate. I still changed the settings as per your suggestion to all files I think are executables

Edit2: I am trying to add a screenshot of the game to show every1 what my problem is exactly. I tried to take a screenshot, but for some reason it was not not registering the game as 'on screen' and only took pics of the desktop under it. I decided to upload a picture taken from my phone since it's better than nothing.I think you can see the dimensions of my monitor and the boundaries of the game clearly. Also, the colors are what I am getting. They are not an error from the upload or transfer or whatever. 

Edit 3: the pic seems to be upside down. It is not a problem since I only put it up so yall see what the issue is.

Message 3 of 51 (127,797 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Hero

@lethwyn Wooah. Trippy.

The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve a bunch of problems. It might help with this, too.

Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and launch the game again.

[edit]

If you still have problems with RA2 even after this, I advise installing the CnCNet installer for RA2/YR. It comes with a bunch of automatic fixes, and has a configuration tool which offers more choices in graphics fixes than just DDWrapper, so if one doesn't work you can just try if some of the other options do the trick.

Message 4 of 51 (143,771 Views)

★★★ Novice
Alright, I'll try that. I'll have to let you know in a couple days though since on Monday and Tuesday I have classes/work from early morning to late night. I don't have the time to do anything except sleep once I get home 😕 .Don't take my scilence as me not listening to you or anything! I will get back to you on this as I really want to play YR since it's my favorite out of the whole RA series so far!
Message 5 of 51 (127,767 Views)

Hero

@lethwyn Eh. No problem. I'm sticking around this place anyway Wink

Message 6 of 51 (127,760 Views)

★★★ Novice
Thnx man. Sorry it took so long to respond. I just haven't had time with exams and projects and such. The fix worked like a charm! Now, I suppose it's time for the commander to return once more 😁
Message 7 of 51 (127,723 Views)

★ Novice

This has totally solved my pink half screen!!! Thank you.

Message 8 of 51 (126,400 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@lethwyn

By the way, some recent mess with holiday pictures made me figure out what the problem is with that picture being upside down. Whatever camera/phone/ipad you used when taking it... you held it upside down when you took the picture.

Seems this saves the image upside down as it was taken, but saves viewing instructions into the file that tell photo viewer apps that to display it, it should be rotated 180 degrees. Chrome seems to obey these instructions, but only when viewing the file as bare image. When it's embedded on a web page it no longer applies the rotation. That's why it looked odd here.

So, long story short... browser limping behind on evolving technology  Wink

Message 9 of 51 (126,020 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi!!

This patch REALLY WORKS!!! I've spent the last 3 DAYS scouring the earth for this flipping thing!

Thank you so much!!!

However I'm experiencing one small issue which is that my background (desktop) is flashing over the game and menus - it's hard to explain, and I've taken hundreds of screenshots but none of them seem to capture this anomaly!

My desktop is appearing 'through' my game frequently (at least once every other second then sporadic periods of more) as if trying to break through when you get one of those annoying notifications such as a windows update that minimizes your game. Except there is no update, or anything in the background!

Hope someone else knows the fix for this? I've done exactly as instructed?

I've Changed the "DisableHighDpiScaling    = 1" from 0 as this helped the issue LOADS (without it the screen must flash about 3-5 times a second) but still it's frequent and rather annoying.

It feels like my resolution is battling with something but I can't for the life of me figure it out?

Hope you can help

P.S. I know this thread is realllllly old!

Standard smile))))

Message 10 of 51 (124,786 Views)