Re: Red Alert 2 not starting, repairing or uninstalling

by triforce131

Original Post

Red Alert 2 not starting, repairing or uninstalling

★ Novice

I got the game "on the house" a while ago, played a couple of times and left it. Now when I tried running it again, it doesn't even show the launcher. What I get is an error screen (apparently from Origin) saying that "A .par file is missing or invalid. Please reinstall the game." Problem is, if I try to uninstall the game from Origin, it leads me to Windows Control Panel, and trying to uninstall the game there does nothing. Also, when right-clicking on the game in Origin, there is no "repair", "reinstall" or "update" option as with the other games in my library, so I cannot do anything with the game at all.

I have already tried the running as admin suggestions I saw on the forum, and at this point, I'll be happy with just being able to uninstall it and get the disk space back. Has anyone encountered this problem or knows how to fix it? Many thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 3 (626 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@triforce131

Hm. Very odd issue. Did you try launching the game straight from the installation folder?

As for uninstalling, though, if you don't get the option, you can always just manually remove the game's files from your Origin games install folder.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 3 (613 Views)

★ Novice

Yes, I already tried everything I could think of or found here: starting from Origin, starting from the folder by running the exes, giving admin rights as suggested here. I also thought about just erasing everything, but I guess that would still leave the registry keys, and Origin would still think I have it installed.

Message 3 of 3 (600 Views)