Red Alert 2 and Yuris Revenge wont install on Windows 10

by cameron205

Original Post

Red Alert 2 and Yuris Revenge wont install on Windows 10

★★ Novice

I've got my old disc copies of RA2 and YR and have tried installing them on my recently upgraded Windows 10 computer. However when I try running the setup.exe file on the disc it brings to a black screen and the pops up "DirectX Error: Action not supported." twice and the the program closes. Does anybody know what might be wrong because I've looked everywhere and have found nothing helpful regarding my issue. Thanks.

Message 1 of 5 (28,524 Views)

Re: Red Alert 2 and Yuris Revenge wont install on Windows 10

[ Edited ]
Hero

You need to install the DirectX Redistributables package from June 2010. The newer DirectX is not completely backwards compatible; it's missing features from the older versions, so you need to install the older version to fix it.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 5 (28,467 Views)

★★ Novice

It's asking for a location for me to extract the files. Where should this be?

Message 3 of 5 (28,457 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

• Download the DirectX Redistributables package from June 2010. Be sure to uncheck any other junk they want to add to it. It should be a file called "directx_Jun2010_redist.exe".
  • Run the downloaded file. It'll ask for a folder to unpack in. Make a new folder somewhere on your disk and unpack it there. It doesn't matter where you unpack it; it can be deleted afterwards anyway.
  • Go to the folder where you told it to extract.
  • Find "DXSETUP.exe", and run that to install the missing components.
  • After the installation finished, delete the folder you unpacked everything in.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 4 of 5 (28,327 Views)

★★ Novice

Still gets the same error, not exactly sure what the case is now considering the older files seem to  have been successful installed.

Message 5 of 5 (28,285 Views)