Re: Red Alert 2 Resolution Issue

by EA_David

Original Post

Red Alert 2 Resolution Issue

★★★ Newbie

Hello:

I just purchased the C&C Ultimate Collection to play Red Alert 2.

The game launches fine, but when I try to increase the resolution to the maximum permitted by the game, the colours on the screen turn inverted and the picture moves to the left of the screen.

I am not sure why it is doing this, but would like to have the game run properly. I have tried to play the game using the default resolution, but it really isn't satisfactory that way. 

I am running Windows 10.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 16 (99,416 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@Roperious

Hey, do you see the same issue if you try launch in the higher res mode?

Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Command and Conquer Red Alert II and open RA2.ini with notepad. Change the height and width values to your desired resolution, save and then launch the game again. 

If this is ineffective, can you check this thread? It's not exactly the same issue but contains some steps that may help. 

http://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/Red-Alert2-Yuri-s-Revenge-graphics-Issue/td-p/4...

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 16 (99,361 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey how are ya?

Very ticked off customer here. I'm having this problem right now, May 20, 2019.

Win 10, stand alone ultimate collection bought through origin (not monthly subscription version).

Goal: get this to run in full screen. Or at least some acceptable level of functional. (Seriously, I bought a product new from a game company and it doesn't work. What on earth are you doin over there? Fix this or refund me ea. Making customers go through this is absurd!)

Program filesx86>origin games>ra2..

First, the file is no longer named RA2.ini. it's just "RA2" But i filter by file type to find the "Configuration" files in my folder.

Second, once going into the file i found the video section, changed them to my native screen res (1920x1080, 60" Sony HDTV) but when launching the game, the buttons on the menu no longer work. The mouse cursor can move freely across the entire screen into the large black borders, but the buttons never register having the cursor over them so you can't click them rendering the game inoperable.

Third, adding the "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" files to the ra2 folder makes the game fail to open. Get as far as the ra2 or yuri selection screen then it just closes.

Fourth, i found another fix where someone just went into the game properties and said to disable something but the windows options have changed and the button is no longer called "disable" but instead has several options that are very vague and all look like they say pretty much the same thing. Ironically enough, i had my best luck here and got either ra2 or yuri's revenge to launch and the opening cinematic etc actually played in fullscreen, but immediately crashed, and i tried so many things prior to this point that I can't 

Fifth, there are so many posts saying download this or install this, but they most recent ones have error 404's when you dfollow the lionks, and the others are almost a decade old and for a different version of the game.

I've deleted the game & reinstalled several times, deleted any files i altered or added. But no dice. just will not function. I cannot believe a product like this is being sold! I'm going to put a stop payment on the $20 i just flushed down the drain on this disaster.

What the h*ll am i supposed to do to make this work?

Message 3 of 16 (92,668 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hey,late to the party

If you set it to 1920x1080,the main menu is still not working properly while in game, you get your resolution.

Message 4 of 16 (85,751 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Try setting The RA2.ini file to read only 

Message 5 of 16 (85,577 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Greatings,

I have a new PC with RTX 2080 super; I still have the problem of not being able to play the game even in 1024x768x16. Has this been resolved?

Thank you in advance.

best regards, Ashraf.

Message 6 of 16 (67,522 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same issue. Has this been resolved?

Message 7 of 16 (63,695 Views)

★ Novice

For those of you still having this issue, try this post here;

https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/CC-Red-Alert-2-Yuri-s-Revenge-Graphics-Patch-F...

Works fine for me now

Message 8 of 16 (60,598 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@CorporalBueno wrote:

For those of you still having this issue, try this post here;

https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/CC-Red-Alert-2-Yuri-s-Revenge-Graphics-Patch-F...

Works fine for me now

This post is not about the rendering issue, it's about resolution. I do not believe the other thread addresses the resolution issue.

Message 9 of 16 (47,051 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hey y'all, I was having the same issue. This is what worked for me...

1. In File Explorer, open up C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Command and Conquer Red Alert II
  2. Right click Ra2.exe --> Properties
  3. Click on Compatibility tab, and check the boxes for lower resolution + disabling optimizations.
  4. That worked for me, now the screen sees my clicks where my mouse is. (you may have to edit RA2MD.exe for Yuri's Revenge, I haven't tried to play that yet.)

These are the settings that worked:

Message 10 of 16 (32,943 Views)