Re: Red Alert 2 LAN

by Straatford87

Original Post

Red Alert 2 LAN

★★★ Newbie

Good day, I need assistance for playing multiplayer Red Alert 2 via LAN. I have downloaded Red Alert 2 on Origin but I cannot play multiplayer LAN. Please assist. Thank you.

Message 1 of 5 (2,897 Views)

Hi, @ZApresident

Is this function still supported on newer versions of Windows? Perhaps a forum manager can give the answer to this question. @Straatford87, @EA_Kristi, @EA_Mage

Message 2 of 5 (2,889 Views)

EA DICE Team

@DarkBanishing @ZApresident

I think this question would be best suited for our very own Answers HQ C&C expert - @Nyerguds, do you have any idea why MP LAN wouldn't work for RA2?

Message 3 of 5 (2,855 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@ZApresident @Straatford87

These old games all used the now completely obsolete IPX network protocol, but that's all been fixed by community patches a long time ago.

However, there's a second factor involved, namely, the registration key of the game needs to be unique in one network. The problem with that is, this key is fetched from the Windows registry... and the The First Decade and Origin installations of the game never fill in this key, causing the security systems to see all these blank keys on the network as identical.

I explained how to get the unofficial network fix, and how to solve that registration key issue, in this thread:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/A-problem-on-running-Red-Alert-II-in-local-netw...

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 4 of 5 (2,836 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Nyerguds

Your knowledge once again exceeds expectations - thanks again for helping out.. :eahigh_file:

@ZApresident - please do let us know if all your questions are answered.. Standard smile

Kind regards,

Message 5 of 5 (2,825 Views)