I can't play Red Alert 2 with 4k screen (changed resolution but it doesn't work)

by zaviroshi

Original Post

Accepted Solution

I can't play Red Alert 2 with 4k screen (changed resolution but it doesn't work)

★★★ Novice

I cannot play Red Alert 2 with my 4k laptop. I changed resolution but it doesn't work though :'(

Model: MSI GE62 2QF Apache Pro
Problem: Red Alert 2 won't load up (black screen)

Message 1 of 17 (14,117 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: I can't play Red Alert 2 with 4k screen (changed resolution but it doesn't w

★★★★★ Expert

Hi @zaviroshi

I do not know to what extent it actually works,but worth trying because there is no other solution.Thinking

You need to go in C:/Origin Origin Games\Command and Conquer Red Alert II you will find RA2.ini. 

In these files you should have a [Video] section, which may or may not have values for ScreenHeight and ScreenWidth, if these do not exist you will need to add them but if they do already exist you will need to change them as follows;

[Video]
ScreenHeight=2160
ScreenWidth=3840

Using the above settings, the game will run at a resolution of 3840x2160 - many of the menu graphics do not stretch but i think so they will appear with a large black border but once in game this will run as expected.Wondering

I wait your feedback,mate.Wink

Retired champion.

View in thread

Message 2 of 17 (15,010 Views)

All Replies

Re: I can't play Red Alert 2 with 4k screen (changed resolution but it doesn't w

★★★★★ Expert

Hi @zaviroshi

I do not know to what extent it actually works,but worth trying because there is no other solution.Thinking

You need to go in C:/Origin Origin Games\Command and Conquer Red Alert II you will find RA2.ini. 

In these files you should have a [Video] section, which may or may not have values for ScreenHeight and ScreenWidth, if these do not exist you will need to add them but if they do already exist you will need to change them as follows;

[Video]
ScreenHeight=2160
ScreenWidth=3840

Using the above settings, the game will run at a resolution of 3840x2160 - many of the menu graphics do not stretch but i think so they will appear with a large black border but once in game this will run as expected.Wondering

I wait your feedback,mate.Wink

Retired champion.
Message 2 of 17 (15,011 Views)

Community Manager

@zaviroshi Can you let us know if this works or not, I'd be interested to see this. Sprites will scale down so be prepared to squint if it does work. 

You can try a smaller resolution as an alternative if the full 4k doesn't work. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 3 of 17 (14,078 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I am having this issue as well. I purchased the command and conquer ultimate collection, but red alert 2 does not work. For some reason c&c red alert aftermath does (ie. the older game), but RA2 does not. 

Lenovo X1 Carbon

Win 10

i7 4600U @ 2.10Ghz

Message 4 of 17 (13,757 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@eccome1985

Exactly what is the issue you have? What does it do when you start it?

Because... if it was the same problem as what was already mentioned, all you really need to do is use the same solution. And if it isn't, you shouldn't be posting it in this thread.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 5 of 17 (13,741 Views)

★★★ Newbie

2560*1440 is highest i can get it too run @

Message 6 of 17 (10,981 Views)

★★★ Novice

sorry I haven't reply for so long..

tried that but still cannot play Frown

Message 7 of 17 (9,969 Views)

★★★ Novice

Nope. It doesn't work T_T

Message 8 of 17 (9,968 Views)

@zaviroshi 

Please try the solution in this video.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 9 of 17 (9,946 Views)

★★★ Novice

yeah does this to me to but when I try to look up that file you mention it does not show like that for me.

Message 10 of 17 (9,924 Views)