Re: How to fix problems with C&C Generals and Generals Zero Hour on Windows

by nesspoint

Original Post

Accepted Solution

How to fix problems with C&C Generals and Generals Zero Hour on Windows 10

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Hello everyone,

I have been looking for a way to run Command and Conquer Generals and Generals Zero Hour on Windows 10 and I think I have finally found it. Not sure if it will work for the Origin version though. The guide is down below.

Step 1:

Go to:

[C:\Users\username\Documents\Command and Conquer Generals Data] FOR GENERALS.

and or 

[C:\Users\username\Documents\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data] FOR GENERALS ZERO HOUR.

Step 2:

Make a new text document and name it "options.ini" and paste the following,

AntiAliasing = 1
CampaignDifficulty = 0
DrawScrollAnchor = 
FirewallBehavior = 1
FirewallNeedToRefresh = FALSE
FirewallPortAllocationDelta = 0
GameSpyIPAddress = 10.0.0.2
Gamma = 50
IPAddress = 10.0.0.2
IdealStaticGameLOD = Low
LanguageFilter = false
MoveScrollAnchor = 
MusicVolume = 0
Resolution = 1024 768
Retaliation = yes
SFX3DVolume = 79
SFXVolume = 71
ScrollFactor = 16
SendDelay = no
StaticGameLOD = High
UseAlternateMouse = no
UseDoubleClickAttackMove = no
VoiceVolume = 70

Step 3:

Don't worry, you will be able to change those settings later, but once you have done this, boot the game and it should work (If you are using the first decade version at least).

Patch your game to version 1.04 if you want, then change the setting either in the "options.ini" document or in the options in game.

If you then want 1080p support, just change the numbers in the "options.ini" document to "1920 1080" or whatever resolution you want.

Have fun,

IMILOUDI

Message 1 of 11 (70,368 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager (retired)

@IMILOUDI thanks for sharing your feedback, let's hope that this can help some other players to get back into the game as well! I will mark that topic as solved, just for better visibility as it will help players to find your solugion.

Keep going!

Basti

View in thread

Message 2 of 11 (74,403 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager (retired)

@IMILOUDI thanks for sharing your feedback, let's hope that this can help some other players to get back into the game as well! I will mark that topic as solved, just for better visibility as it will help players to find your solugion.

Keep going!

Basti

Message 2 of 11 (74,404 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

This won't solve the problem of SafeDisc being disabled in Win10 that users with the original disc-based version of the game will have, though.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 3 of 11 (70,297 Views)

★★★ Newbie

THIS NOT WORKING, i have windows 10 64bit

Message 4 of 11 (69,565 Views)

★★ Novice

has anyone come up with a fix for this. i have windows 10 64 bit, and my C&C is original discs. i have tried run as admin, every compatibility mode, and the no disc file. nothing works.

Message 5 of 11 (67,957 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am having this problem also I just brought the Deluxe Edition of Command & Conquer Generals & Zero Hour, and it will not load on my Windows 10 computer with 64-Bit 36.0 GB Ram. Help Please I so enjoy playing this game.

Curtis Young

[edit: email address removed]

Message 6 of 11 (64,901 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am also having problems getting generals and zero hr to work on xp7 or 10 it will install but will not run any ideas? I have the delux edition cd's 

Message 7 of 11 (63,594 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

DirectX Error FIX!!! Fixes DirectX Error for Command & Conquer Generals and Zero hour games purchased and downloaded from Origin!!

for windows 10 64-bit and DirectX 12 users

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkEKF8XK_g4

Message 8 of 11 (51,635 Views)

★★★ Newbie

take out the dbghelp.dll file in both your generals and generals zero hour folders. this will stop your serious technical problem from occurring and allow you to play.

Message 9 of 11 (33,135 Views)

★★★ Newbie

this did not fix anything for me. I have the Origin digital version. Can't find anything to fix this direct x 8.1 error thing. frustrating!

Message 10 of 11 (31,101 Views)