Re: HOW

by Nyerguds

Original Post

Accepted Solution

HOW

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

Hi

Is it possible to download the games from the office, copy them to a flash drive, and then install them on my home PC.

I don't have broadband at home, only mobile data, which as you all know comes at a premium.

Thanks

Reg.

Message 1 of 4 (506 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi

Thanks for the reply, and the links.

Somehow I missed the title of my post, that's why it looks weird. (Apologies)

Anyway, I ended up purchasing the software, and gave it a crack.

• I installed The Origin Software at home and at the office.
  • I downloaded the game at the office, (10 gigs)
  • Copied the game directory to my flash drive.
  •  
  • At home I started the download of the same game at home.
  • As soon as it started the download, I paused the download.
  • Exited from the Origin app.
  • I then transferred the full download from my flash drive to game directory on my PC.
  • Opened up the Origin app again.
  • Resumed the download.
  • It detected that the files were already present.
  • After a few minutes the install started.
  • everything worked 100%
  • Total download from my mobile data was 1.5 megs.

A little computer knowledge is required though, and probably a better file manager than explorer.

Thanks for the help though.

Hopefully this will help other users.

View in thread

Message 3 of 4 (503 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

@reghasell

Don't think so... all of origin is based on downloading games through the Origin system. Unless you can actually drag over your PC to your office to make it download the stuff there I'm afraid you're out of luck.

However, Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun are all freeware, so you can just download the installers for those to flash drive. They have also all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

For Red Alert 2, there are instructions here on how to get it working from original CDs, using the multiplayer-only installer distributed by XWIS as base.

http://forums.cncnz.com/topic/19497-original-ra2yr-cds-vs-windows-10/?p=225594

I haven't tried it out, but I imagine it might be possible to get the CD files indicated there by installing RA2 through Origin on some internet-enabled PC, and just taking them from the game folder after the install.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 4 (491 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi

Thanks for the reply, and the links.

Somehow I missed the title of my post, that's why it looks weird. (Apologies)

Anyway, I ended up purchasing the software, and gave it a crack.

• I installed The Origin Software at home and at the office.
  • I downloaded the game at the office, (10 gigs)
  • Copied the game directory to my flash drive.
  •  
  • At home I started the download of the same game at home.
  • As soon as it started the download, I paused the download.
  • Exited from the Origin app.
  • I then transferred the full download from my flash drive to game directory on my PC.
  • Opened up the Origin app again.
  • Resumed the download.
  • It detected that the files were already present.
  • After a few minutes the install started.
  • everything worked 100%
  • Total download from my mobile data was 1.5 megs.

A little computer knowledge is required though, and probably a better file manager than explorer.

Thanks for the help though.

Hopefully this will help other users.

Message 3 of 4 (504 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@reghasell

Oh, wow. That's an interesting fix. Good job! As long as that still sets all the registry stuff right...

C&C4 does have some permanent-online thing as DRM system, if I remember correctly. I know that after the game's release there were a bunch of complaints about that since even in the game's single play, players got booted from their game for losing connection to the internet for a second Raised eyebrow

(Not that C&C4 is really worth playing altogether, but that's just my opinion Sick)

For the pre-RA2 games, though, it's probably far easier to install them from the full installers I linked to, and even if you did it this way, it's still worth it to patch them with the community patches; some of them are quite vital. For example, the C&C1 patch (also available from the downloads there) includes fixes for two bugs which cause fatal game crashes, and which are more or less impossible to avoid while playing.

As for the topic title thing, yeah, I already reported that usability issue to the staff a while back; it's not clear that it's even an editable field after you choose to post a new topic. You can just click that title on the ask/edit screen to change it.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 4 of 4 (449 Views)